Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 02:04 PM

427 posts, read 1,223,724 times

Advertisements

Hi, i'm just wanting to know what is the worst weather related or natural disater type event that occurs in the Las Vegas area? You know how florida has the threat of hurricanes and the midwest has tornadoes etc. does Las Vegas have anything that is a potential threat other than the heat? Does it thunderstorm at all in the area or hail ever? Are there mudslides or floods or earthquakes ever? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 03:01 PM

174 posts, read 969,760 times
I hope your kidding but yes, we do get some bad weather. It gets cold here in winter, we do get snow, we get very high winds at times up to 60 miles an hour, we get torrential rain,we get thunder and lightning , we also get hail and we are close to a fault line so we can get earth quakes.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:08 PM

So when it rains then is it always a thunderstorm since it is a desert and you don't get very much rain does it always rain hard as hell with thunder and hail? I wasn't joking either about my question, cold weather and heat aren't bad weather in my book either, i'm talking about tornadoes, flash floods, hail, massive wildfires, 6.8 earthquakes etc. etc.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:15 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,592,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
Hi, i'm just wanting to know what is the worst weather related or natural disater type event that occurs in the Las Vegas area? You know how florida has the threat of hurricanes and the midwest has tornadoes etc. does Las Vegas have anything that is a potential threat other than the heat? Does it thunderstorm at all in the area or hail ever? Are there mudslides or floods or earthquakes ever? Thanks for the help.
The hard ground makes Las Vegas a prime candidate for flash floods. It's hard to imagine unless you have personally drove around in 3 feet water after it rains. I will never forget when I saw I firetruck stuck in an underwater intersection with the firemen standing on top. They had to be rescued.

Las Vegas has a lot of inactive fault lines.

Other than the occasional flash flood warning, I would say for the most part Las Vegas feels free from disaster, well unless you count the excessive heat.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:19 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,592,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Brooklynite View Post
I hope your kidding but yes, we do get some bad weather. It gets cold here in winter, we do get snow, we get very high winds at times up to 60 miles an hour, we get torrential rain,we get thunder and lightning , we also get hail and we are close to a fault line so we can get earth quakes.
When you say snow are you talking about a few flakes? It seems like we only get snow that actually accumulates once every 4-5 years. And even then that was one day and it melted by the next.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:14 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,189,342 times
Yeah, snow is nowhere near being a problem for Vegas. A few slushy inches every now then do not severe weather make. I would think the following three are the main natural threats anyone is likely to face:

(1) Earthquakes
(2) Severe thunderstorms/lightening/flash flood
(3) Running out of water (at some future date, due to overuse)

Old 07-03-2010, 05:26 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
When you say snow are you talking about a few flakes? It seems like we only get snow that actually accumulates once every 4-5 years. And even then that was one day and it melted by the next.
No, we get real snow. I will never forget the snowstorm we got on December 17, 2008. The snow actually stayed on the ground for nearly a week. I had to drive to work and do patrols that day. It was not fun. I literally thought I was in Flagstaff.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:23 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I will always look upon wind as our ever-occurring natural disasters here.

How many times have I been caught with my pants down?

Even at 70, those monster winds that suddenly blow through the valley can catch you unprepared. You start out walking and it's so pleasant, a half-hour later, wind kicks up, and you have to run back to the house for a coat!

And let's not go there, the temp falling to 30 at night in January and those monster winds come by to terrorize the Valley!

Old 07-03-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I will always look upon wind as our ever-occurring natural disasters here.

How many times have I been caught with my pants down?

Even at 70, those monster winds that suddenly blow through the valley can catch you unprepared. You start out walking and it's so pleasant, a half-hour later, wind kicks up, and you have to run back to the house for a coat!

And let's not go there, the temp falling to 30 at night in January and those monster winds come by to terrorize the Valley!
Haha, sounds like something i've heard before over in the san francisco sub forum. They were talking about how they never leave home without a jacket, windbreaker, or sweater because one minute it could be absolutely beautiful and 10 minutes later the wind would shift directions or pick up and it would get cold as...[insert your choice of word here].

Old 07-03-2010, 10:43 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,569,849 times
tijlover is right

I remember back in March when I came to visit Las Vegas, I was out on the strip it was a warm sunny 80 degrees. A few moments later it was cold and there were howling winds and I found myself dashing to the Bellagio for warmth, regretted not having a coat that day

I wouldnt mind if it snowed and stuck just once a year, it would STILL beat winters in NW Connecticut
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas