Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 04:11 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,800,429 times

Advertisements

Sounds like it's that time of year again with the early snow. I was wondering do they have rentals of snowmobiles for visitors. I am past my time to snow board or ski but taking a ride on the sled for a day seems like a good adventure. Having lived in a winter wonderland most of my life I plan on moving to Las Vegas next year. Just wondering if I get a yearning to take a snow day lol. what is available and has anyone done this. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 09:48 AM

15,370 posts, read 38,979,635 times
I may be wrong, but I don't believe they have snow mobile rentals....our snow here is pretty sketchy usually.....

Old 10-12-2011, 11:47 AM

430 posts, read 1,308,022 times
We found that in the 2 winters we have been here that from December to March the snow coverage has been good for sledding. I don't believe that snowmobiles are even allowed.

The trails and area are run by the US Forest Service since it is part of the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest.

The home of Mt. Charleston is found in the Spring Mountains National Recreation Area.

They restrict regular sledding unless there is a 12 inch base of snow. If they think sledding is a hazard to vegetation, I can imagine they would be freaked out by snowmobiles.

You can find out the latest conditions on the mountain by following:
Twitter

Old 10-12-2011, 01:03 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,223,906 times
I've never been into snowmobiles (can't afford one), but I'd swear I've seen some heading into the Spring Mountains. But no rentals up there. You can take a relatively short drive into southern Utah and rent snowmobiles. I think they are required transportation at Duck Creek where they have sales, repair, and I'm 99% sure, rentals. My wife and I rode them at Brian Head too, but with a guide (who was an idiot BTW). But people ride them all over that area. There have been several incidents of people getting stuck, or lost, and using their Boy Scout skills to stay alive.

They may have discontinued snowmobile trips into Yellowstone NP, but we took a fantastic trip of 50 miles each way from the south gate to Old Faithful Lodge once upon a time. Jellystone Park in winter may be the best time to see it. I know they still have the snow-cat bus service. During winter all roads in the Park are closed to anything but skis, snow-cats, or maybe still, snowmobiles.

You might check Big Bear Lake, and/or the Angeles Nat'l Forest too, although California is really anal about such things. In Nevada, the Lake Tahoe area is your best bet, but it's 400 miles away.

Irishspy, if you are in reasonable condition, and under the age of 85, you should be able to ski Lee Canyon. I can't because of a heart condition, and I miss skiing and hiking more than anything. Well, almost anything.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:59 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,800,429 times
Thanks Buzz 123 for the advise, bad knees have put me off skies and boards. I live only 40 miles from Lake Placid and Whiteface mountain home of the 1932 &1980 Olympics. SO!!! if I could I would. Snowmobiling is big up here and rentals are available. Thought it would be out there but I understand about the environment issues we have a much deeper snow base here and the ground freezes over 4 feet deep. I guess I'll have to just look at the Snow Bunnies in the lounge lol.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:43 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,979,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
Thanks Buzz 123 for the advise, bad knees have put me off skies and boards. I live only 40 miles from Lake Placid and Whiteface mountain home of the 1932 &1980 Olympics. SO!!! if I could I would. Snowmobiling is big up here and rentals are available. Thought it would be out there but I understand about the environment issues we have a much deeper snow base here and the ground freezes over 4 feet deep. I guess I'll have to just look at the Snow Bunnies in the lounge lol.
even when I was young I was better at apres' ski then anything

Old 10-12-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
It's mostly the altitude that gets me, so I've thought about seeing how I might do back east where they ski on hills instead of mountains. I'm from the Mountain State (West Virginia), but I am conflicted about calling them mountains after living in the mountain west all these years. The highest peak in the "Mountain State" is only 4863 ft. Showshoe Ski Resort is just below that. But with a 1500 foot vertical gain, I guess that's still a long way to fall. But shoooot, I live in a relatively flat desert valley at right around 2500 feet here in Las Vegas, and in New Mexico I lived at 6,000 feet, and that was on a flat slope at the base of the real mountains. Albuquerque starts at 5,000 feet at the Rio Grande, and slopes up on both sides of the valley. Las Vegas does pretty much the same thing only not as pronounced.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I understand there are plans to build a much nicer lounge, and expand the ski area. Maybe they've already started. The facilities have always been a little primitive, but not bad for a day area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas