Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:14 PM

542 posts, read 985,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Out on the flatlands of Colorado [where the snow falls horizontally] the ONLY time school was closed for snow was when the snow drifted EVEN with the doorknob on the front door of the school. [The front door was on the 2nd floor] HOWEVER the first day of antelope season and pheasant season was pretty sparse attendamce.
HA! I grew up in Southpark, so I am very familiar with the sideways snow

One side of the house was a 30ft snow drift, and the other side was still grass for 100ft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 02:23 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,077,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m73m95 View Post
HA! I grew up in Southpark, so I am very familiar with the sideways snow

One side of the house was a 30ft snow drift, and the other side was still grass for 100ft.
Yep, that's colorful Colorado....and yet....the very FIRST time I ever saw snow FALL on Christmas day....was my first Christmas in Las Vegas.....

Old 10-20-2011, 03:38 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,931,819 times
There is a company called Timbers that has several pub style restaurants around Vegas that have pretty good food and a decent atmosphere..They have Big Screen TVs and a Bar... Also some have pool tables and video games and the bar area has Video Poker...

The food is like Nachos, Burgers, Ribs, etc.....Prices are good and food is plentiful....

Old 10-20-2011, 03:52 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,975,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
There is a company called Timbers that has several pub style restaurants around Vegas that have pretty good food and a decent atmosphere..They have Big Screen TVs and a Bar... Also some have pool tables and video games and the bar area has Video Poker...

The food is like Nachos, Burgers, Ribs, etc.....Prices are good and food is plentiful....
See, that's my problem with online reviews. There's NOTHING wrong with Timbers. But for just a little more, I can go to a fine dining venue on the Strip and eat FAR BETTER QUALITY pub food -- Todd English's for instance.

I don't pick restaurants on the basis of "suitable/good enough." With the amount of food I cook every week, I damned well better be blown away when I choose to dine out.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
See, that's my problem with online reviews. There's NOTHING wrong with Timbers. But for just a little more, I can go to a fine dining venue on the Strip and eat FAR BETTER QUALITY pub food -- Todd English's for instance.

I don't pick restaurants on the basis of "suitable/good enough." With the amount of food I cook every week, I damned well better be blown away when I choose to dine out.
I hear ya..I used to run the kitchen of a restaurant that sat 350 people every day 7 days a week.. I learned to cook there and prep all from scratch... I can cook Wildebeast anus or Elephant trunk , BUT the problem I have is that the places I have lived and am now living, Quality food comes with a hefty price tag...

Now I clean up pretty good and so does the wife..And we both can enjoy scrumptious dining, but when it cost a couple days pay to eat at the better places around here we go for the lesser places that serve decent food and have a decent atmosphere because we can afford those...

Also we like more of a dive type of place to eat which is good enough for us... If I want Grand then I can do that myself.....

Old 10-20-2011, 04:52 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,975,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Now I clean up pretty good and so does the wife..And we both can enjoy scrumptious dining, but when it cost a couple days pay to eat at the better places around here we go for the lesser places that serve decent food and have a decent atmosphere because we can afford those...
But it doesn't. Not even a day's pay. That's the point I'm trying to make. Have you seen the menu for Bouchon or Todd English's Pub, or Burger Bar? It's not all that much more than an evening at Outback. Even B&B, which will blow you completely away, is only twice the price of an evening at Outback.

This is all assuming you stay away from the wine list. (Or you get the house wine. Which is no "value." But at least it isn't a complete and utter screw job.)

Sure, you want to eat at Robuchon or Alex or Andre's, break out the big checkbook. But most of our fine dining isn't just great food, it's a VERY good value.

So my advice to the OP stands. Play where you want, do what you please, but the best restaurant choices are by-and-large ON the strip. And locals, go try some of these places. It's one of the great things about living in this city, and most people never experience it.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
But it doesn't. Not even a day's pay. That's the point I'm trying to make. Have you seen the menu for Bouchon or Todd English's Pub, or Burger Bar? It's not all that much more than an evening at Outback. Even B&B, which will blow you completely away, is only twice the price of an evening at Outback.

This is all assuming you stay away from the wine list. (Or you get the house wine. Which is no "value." But at least it isn't a complete and utter screw job.)

Sure, you want to eat at Robuchon or Alex or Andre's, break out the big checkbook. But most of our fine dining isn't just great food, it's a VERY good value.

So my advice to the OP stands. Play where you want, do what you please, but the best restaurant choices are by-and-large ON the strip. And locals, go try some of these places. It's one of the great things about living in this city, and most people never experience it.
Sorry, I don't live in Las Vegas..I am in the Los Angeles area... Yes in Las Vegas we can eat much cheaper than where we live... And I am not a fan of Outback... Lone Star is tons better IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas