Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 10:24 AM

92 posts, read 318,458 times

Advertisements

thanks for the info. and looks like i am not the only one interested in pahrump.
as i mentioned, we have been there afew times and wife's cousin did mention
about car show's or somethng to that affect. we know there is not alot that
happens in pahrump but that's ok. less poplulated and more open space that
most places.
take care. ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 10:23 AM

35 posts, read 122,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto190 View Post
I and my wife are thinking of buying a home in Pahrump and I see many places for sale on Zillow ,,but not knowing the area well enough would like some opinions about the best areas ,the next best areas and the places we might want to stay further from as to buy a home. I mean no disrespect to anyone who lives there now ,,it's noise from highways ,trains ,airport ,,ect ect.

The wife and are both retired and need not be close to a school.

I have other questions ,but will wait and see if I get any replies first and then go from there.. thank you for reading .

We have plans to visit Pahrump and stay a week and get a personal feel ,,but would like to look at homes for sale on the internet before we come.
A follow up on our trip to Pahrump
We came ,we stayed a week ,we looked at the town ,looked at all streets and houses ,,we talked to the chamber of commerce about many things concerning it not being a incorportated city and liked all that was told to us.
We ate out at the quick food places ,Mexican foods, Denny's and also at the Winery and all were very friendly operated and the food was also very good. Best atmosphere for dining was the Winery where we did the wine tasting and enjoyed a well prepared dinner in a cozy comfort setting .

We stopped and chatted with good folks in the Artesia area ,Mountain Falls area and with the people who live in the North Pahrump part and also in the South part.All were very nice and helpful with our questions about the areas they live in .

We found that the main street through town (which is 160 and some 372 highway was easy to travel on and it has two lanes going each way with 3 traffic lights ..

We visited the gambling bussinesses and found the food was also very good there as well..also clean and friendly workers .

So after 6 days of looking at the area and homes in Mountain Falls , Artesia, North Pahrump ,South Pahrump,,we got a realator to show us homes for sale in all these places,,She even contacted other realators and showed us their homes for sale as well as her own.

We had to choose between 3 homes we liked and decide to buy the one where the owners will live in the home until we get our selves moved to Pahrump .. We chose the 1 acre with our own Water and Septic.

We traveled the hour drive to Las Vegas and it is a easy drive with no traffic until right in Vagas and that is the same as any city the same size. We went to see Viva Elvis and it was great,,plan on going to see many more when we get moved .

I didnt find the town dirty like I have read ,,the shopping mall is paved and so is most all bussinesses, We did experience a real hard wind ,,but it was a wind that hasnt happened since 2004 ,,Los Angels got hit harder by it according to the news.

I could tell you more but will stop for now and wait until I have lived there for some time . Hope this helps some who are interested in also moving to Pahrump Nv..

Old 12-20-2011, 05:27 PM

[quote=otto190;22132232]A follow up on our trip to Pahrump
We came ,we stayed a week ,we looked at the town ,looked at all streets and houses ,,we talked to the chamber of commerce about many things concerning it not being a incorportated city and liked all that was told to us.
We ate out at the quick food places ,Mexican foods, Denny's and also at the Winery and all were very friendly operated and the food was also very good. Best atmosphere for dining was the Winery where we did the wine tasting and enjoyed a well prepared dinner in a cozy comfort setting .

We stopped and chatted with good folks in the Artesia area ,Mountain Falls area and with the people who live in the North Pahrump part and also in the South part.All were very nice and helpful with our questions about the areas they live in .

We found that the main street through town (which is 160 and some 372 highway was easy to travel on and it has two lanes going each way with 3 traffic lights ..

We visited the gambling bussinesses and found the food was also very good there as well..also clean and friendly workers .

So after 6 days of looking at the area and homes in Mountain Falls , Artesia, North Pahrump ,South Pahrump,,we got a realator to show us homes for sale in all these places,,She even contacted other realators and showed us their homes for sale as well as her own.

We had to choose between 3 homes we liked and decide to buy the one where the owners will live in the home until we get our selves moved to Pahrump .. We chose the 1 acre with our own Water and Septic.

We traveled the hour drive to Las Vegas and it is a easy drive with no traffic until right in Vagas and that is the same as any city the same size. We went to see Viva Elvis and it was great,,plan on going to see many more when we get moved .

I didnt find the town dirty like I have read ,,the shopping mall is paved and so is most all bussinesses, We did experience a real hard wind ,,but it was a wind that hasnt happened since 2004 ,,Los Angels got hit harder by it according to the news.

I do have a question for any or all who have stated that there is a clause in all deeds to property about potitble water might be in short supply in the future ..Or any other words to that effect.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:17 PM

152 posts, read 376,927 times
There is a disclosurer required I think by Nye County that says to drill your well deep as the water table falls two feet a year or so.

I would not think there is anything in your deed though.

It really says that Nye will end up limiting growth by the expense of the well...though it may not be for a hundred years or so.

Then again the purveyor wells may go way deep and drop it faster cutting off the private and shallower wells. Eventually there will be some interesting discussions. No time soon though.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:27 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,762,043 times
I would call the Nye County Water District, they're the ones responsible for water resource planning and management. I also strongly suggest that you have the well water tested. Nye County was the site of underground nuclear testing and there is a vast hidden ocean of radiation underground.

"In a study for Nye County, where the nuclear test site lies, Buqo estimated that the underground tests polluted 1.6 trillion gallons of water. That is as much water as Nevada is allowed to withdraw from the Colorado River in 16 years -- enough to fill a lake 300 miles long, a mile wide and 25 feet deep"

Old 12-20-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
I would call the Nye County Water District, they're the ones responsible for water resource planning and management. I also strongly suggest that you have the well water tested. Nye County was the site of underground nuclear testing and there is a vast hidden ocean of radiation underground.

"In a study for Nye County, where the nuclear test site lies, Buqo estimated that the underground tests polluted 1.6 trillion gallons of water. That is as much water as Nevada is allowed to withdraw from the Colorado River in 16 years -- enough to fill a lake 300 miles long, a mile wide and 25 feet deep"
Not near Pahrump. That is a minor concern in the Amargosa valley...but that is a long way from Pahrump.

Only trouble in Pahrump is pumping too much water from the aquifer.

It is however always a wise precaution to test your well.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repru View Post
Not near Pahrump. That is a minor concern in the Amargosa valley...but that is a long way from Pahrump.

Only trouble in Pahrump is pumping too much water from the aquifer.

It is however always a wise precaution to test your well.

Would you test a well if someone has been using it right up to the day you looked at the house 3 weeks ago and tasted the water your self? And tastes fine along with a water softener..Plus the well and pump and house is a 2007 built home .. Just asking beings all is new and being used ..

Old 12-20-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto190 View Post
Would you test a well if someone has been using it right up to the day you looked at the house 3 weeks ago and tasted the water your self? And tastes fine along with a water softener..Plus the well and pump and house is a 2007 built home .. Just asking beings all is new and being used ..
Yup. If I had lived in the area a long time and knew they were all deep wells drawing old water from 300 feet and that there were no likely sources of pollution around I might wave it.

Otherwise though test it every few years. Maybe five. Just to above unpleasant surprises.

There are lots of things you won't taste.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:09 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,762,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by repru View Post
There are lots of things you won't taste.
Yes...
Arsenic has no smell, taste, or color when dissolved in water, even in high concentrations, and therefore only laboratory analysis can determine the presence and concentration of arsenic in water.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:32 AM

1,009 posts, read 4,036,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
only laboratory analysis can determine the presence and concentration of arsenic in water
Example . . Mesquite NV water report . . arsenic treatment plants . . aquifer information . . past shenanigans
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas