Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2007, 06:58 PM

713 posts, read 2,716,703 times

Advertisements

i found this the phoenix forum and thought some of u might enjoy it.
ARIZONA - WHAT A STATE!

May 30th - Now this is a state that knows how to live! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings. Mountains and deserts blended together. What a place! Watched the sunset from a park lying on a blanket. It was beautiful. I've finally found my home I love it here.

June 14th - Really heating up. Got to 100 today. Not a problem. Live in an air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun every day like this. I'm turning into a real sun worshipper.

June 30th - Had the backyard landscaped with western plants today. Lots of cactus and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing for me. Another scorcher today, but I love it here.

July 10th - The temperature hasn't been below 100 all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat? At least it's a dry heat. Getting used to it is taking longer than I expected.

July 15th - Fell asleep by the pool. (Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body.) Missed two days of work, what a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though: got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

July 20th - I missed Tabby (our cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning. By the time I got out to the hot car for lunch, Tabby had swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and exploded all over $2,000 worth of leather upholstery. I told the kids she ran away. The car now smells like a sewer. No more pets in this heat!

July 25th - Dry heat, my ass. Hot is hot!! The home air-conditioner is on the fritz and AC repairman charged $200 just to drive by and tell me he needed to order parts.

July 30th - Been sleeping outside by the pool for three nights now. $1,100 in damn house payments and we can't even go inside. Why did I ever come here?

Aug 4th - 115 degrees. Finally got the air-conditioner fixed today. It cost $500 and gets the temperature down to about 90. Stupid repairman pissed in my pool. I hate this state.

Aug 8th - If another person asks, "Hot enough for you today?", I'm going to tear his throat out. Damn heat. By the time I get to work the radiator is boiling over, my clothes are soaking wet, and I smell like roasted Garfield!!

Aug 10th - The weather report might as well be a damn recording: Hot and Sunny. It's been too hot for two damn months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it ever rain in this barren damn desert?? Water rationing has been in effect all summer, so $1,700 worth of cactus just dried up and blew into the pool. Even a cactus can't live in this heat.

Aug 14th - Welcome to Hell!!! Temperature got to 123 today. Forgot to crack the window and blew the windshield out of the Lexus. The installer came to fix it and said, "Hot enough for you today?" My wife had to spend the $1,100 house payment to bail me out of jail.

Aug 30th - Worst day of the damn summer. I'm not leaving the house. The monsoon rains finally came and all they did is to make it muggier than hell. The Lexus is now floating somewhere in Mexico with it's new $500 windshield. That does it, we're moving to New York for some peace and quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 07:03 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,860 times
Default Thats Funny!

I thought the same when I moved to Vegas, but i really did get use to the heat!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:22 PM

what i remember most about the weather in vegas was when it dropped to 17 degrees in feb of 1989.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:42 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verynicebecky View Post
what i remember most about the weather in vegas was when it dropped to 17 degrees in feb of 1989.
You sure that wasn't '91? I remember that because I was at home recuperating from surgery and I looked outside and saw the dog walking across the frozen pool and nearly fainted. That was the only time I ever saw it go below freezing in the daytime in Las Vegas.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:28 AM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,860 times
There was a freeze in 91' in SF Bay area also .. i remember because all our pipes burst. Jan 07 was pretty cold.. in the 20's at night, but we were in the 40-50s durring the day. But for my line of work, Summer is better than Winter even thought Vegas winters are mild compared to permafrost areas.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:08 AM

no. it had to have been either 88 or 89. i left vegas in sept of 89.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verynicebecky View Post
no. it had to have been either 88 or 89. i left vegas in sept of 89.
I was in Albuquerque in 88-89 and it got unusually cold there about that time too. One night the whole city was covered with a sheet of black ice and everything was shut down; even the phones were out. The wind blew so hard that a maintenance man was blown off the roof of a tall hotel building at the airport.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:32 PM

Default A little humor I thunked up.

You must be from Las Vegas if:

1.You ever ran into Siegfried in the drug store buying something to put on Roy’s tiger claw scratches…and HE recognized YOU!

2.You ignore that tall, thin, frumpy looking lady with three kids in line ahead of you at the supermarket, until you realize that last night, on stage at the Tropicana, she was the most elegant, and beautiful, showgirl you thought you’d ever seen.

3.You’re always lamenting about how much you miss the good old days when the mob ran everything.

4.You claim to have known at least fifteen or so dead entertainers that no one but you can remember.

5.You tell all your friends that you never go down on the strip unless you have visitors from out of town, but you’ve already seen seventeen shows this year.

6.You’ve ever been in the same room, at the same time, with an entertainer, a local politician, and a Mafia capo…and the conversation was about the good old days when the mob ran everything.

7.You actually know a “Blue Man”.

8.Standing on a corner, in any part of town, a friend ever asked if you’d like to go to Starbuck’s, and you ask, “The one next door, or the one across the street?”

9.You’ve ever actually fried an egg on the sidewalk…and you had scrubbed the cement down first so the egg wouldn’t go to waste.

10.You claim that you don’t like buffets, but your refrigerator is pasted with two-fers for every buffet in town.

11.You remember when “buffets” were known locally as “chuck wagons”, and real cowboys ate there along with the tourists. That was in the good old days when the mob ran everything.

12.You miss hanging out at five or six hotels that have been imploded…this week! You remember when the mob only imploded cars.

13.You ever paid $50.00 for a permanently attached, retractable sunshade for your car’s windshield from Avi at Fantastic Flea Market, and you have at least six of the free, fold-up, cardboard kind in the trunk.

14.Your windows are tinted so dark that you can’t see out during the day, let alone at night, but the temp in your car still reaches 180 degrees in July.

15.Your idea of Sunday with the family is touring several dozen of the 300 or so model homes currently available. Number and location changes daily.

16.You hate California drivers, especially when they are out touring the same model homes as you.

17.You’ve ever been snow skiing at Mt. Charleston and water skiing at Lake Mead … in the same day.

18.You tell all your friends that you miss cold weather – but when the temperature drops below 70°, you put on every sweater you own.

19.You have had to assure your friends back East that NO, we don’t all live in hotel rooms on the Strip, there is actually a very large city here with normal type houses.

20.You’ve ever stood waist deep in your pool with dust in your eyes during a sandstorm.

21.You now deny that the mob ever ran anything...but you miss them anyway.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:43 PM

Default Here's another one.

You know you're from Las Vegas, Nevada (Nuh vaa da, not Na vah da) when...

You think a red light is merely a suggestion. (Actually, in the northern “Cow Counties” it is a suggestion of a different kind.  )

All of your out-of-state friends start to visit after September but clear out come May.

You think someone driving wearing oven mitts is clever, and, as your steering wheel has already burned off most of the skin on your hands, you make a mental note to remember to wear yours next time.

You think 16 tons of crushed rock and a few boulders make a beautiful yard.

You notice your car overheating... before you drive it.

Your house is made of stucco and has a red clay tile roof.

You no longer associate bridges with water, only shade.

You know a swamp cooler is not a happy hour drink.

You can say 115 degrees without fainting. (But it's a dry heat!!!)

Every other vehicle is a 4x4.

Vehicles with open windows have the right-of-way in the summer.

People break out coats when temperature drops below 70.

You discover, in July, it only takes two fingers to drive your car.

The pool can be warmer than you are.

You can make sun tea instantly.

Kids will ask, "What's a mosquito?"

Dogs don’t get fleas, but they do get sunburns.

People with black cars, or have black upholstery, are automatically assumed to be from out-of-state… or just plain nuts!

You notice the best parking spots are determined by shade instead of distance.

The Air Conditioner is on your list of best friends.

In summer the water from the cold water tap is the same temperature as the hot one.

Some new TV reporter will do another piece on whether you really can cook an egg on the sidewalk...you can, but who would eat it?

That same newbie will actually think that he/she is reporting “news” by telling the rest of us that there is actual gambling here.

Later that same newbie will be told by his News Director that, no, he can’t go to Nye County to do a story from inside a brothel...it’s been done to death.

You actually burn your hand opening the car door.

Sunscreen is sold year round, and kept at the front of the checkout counter; a formula less than 30spf is a joke, and you wear it just
to go to the mailbox.

No one would dream of putting vinyl/leather upholstery in a car.

When you call the operator for time and temperature and she says 2:10 and 115, you have to ask her which is which.

Your friends and relatives back east think you are now a mafia hit man if male, or a hooker if female.

And no, we do not live elsewhere and commute every day (it’s the desert, there is no elsewhere); people actually live in Las Vegas. (in houses, not hotels).

Old 08-25-2007, 05:40 PM

this i found on the alaska city-data forum:
"Living in Paradise

Jan. 10 5:00 P.M. It's starting to snow. The first of the season and the first one we've seen in years. The wife and I took our hot buttered rum and sat by the picture window, watching the soft flakes drift down, clinging to the trees and covering the ground. It was beautiful!

Jan. 11 We awoke to a lovely blanket of crystal white snow covering the landscape. What a fantastic sight. Every tree and shrub covered with a beautiful white mantle. I shoveled snow for the first time ever and loved it. I did both our driveway and our sidewalk. Later a city snowplow came along and accidentally covered up our driveway with compacted snow from the street. The driver smiled and waved. I waved back and shoveled it again.

Jan. 12 It snowed an additional 5 inches last night, and the temperature has dropped to around 11degrees. Several limbs on the trees and shrubs snapped due to the weight of the snow. I shoveled our driveway again. Shortly afterwards, the snowplow came by and did his trick again. Much of the snow is now brownish-gray.

Jan. 13 Warmed up enough during the day to create some slush which soon became ice when the temperature dropped again. Bought snow tires for both cars. Fell on my butt in the driveway. $145 to a chiropractor, but nothing was broken. More snow and ice expected.

Jan. 14 Still cold. Sold the wife's car and bought a 4x4 in order to get her to work. Slid into a guardrail anyway and did a considerable amount of damage to the right rear quarter-panel. Had another 8 inches of the white stuff last night. Both vehicles covered in salt and crud. More shoveling in store for me today. That darn snowplow came by twice today.

Jan. 15 -2 degrees outside. More blasted snow. Not a tree or shrub on our property that hasn't been damaged. Power was off most of the night. Tried to keep from freezing to death with candles and a kerosene heater, which tipped over and nearly burned the house down. I managed to put the flames out, but suffered second degree burns on my hands and lost all my eyelashes and eyebrows. Car slid on ice on way to emergency room and was totaled.

Jan.16 Darn blasted white snow keeps on coming down. Have to put on all the clothes we own just to get to the mailbox. If I ever catch the jerk that drives the snowplow, I'll chew open his chest and rip out his heart. I think he hides around the corner and waits for me to open our driveway again! Power still off. Toilet froze and part of the roof has started to cave in.

Jan.17 Six darn more inches of blasted snow and sleet and ice and God knows what other kind of white crap fell last night. I wounded the snowplow jerk with an ice ax, but he got away. Wife left me. Car won't start. I think I'm going snow blind. I can't move my toes. I haven't seen the sun in weeks. More snow predicted. Wind chill -62 degrees. I'm moving back to Albuquerque."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: