Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 05:32 PM

16 posts, read 46,862 times

Advertisements

Hello all!
Ok so we are trying to rent out our property in Vegas. The people that have been interested from the get go have wanted to lower the rent, lower the deposit or avoid paying any deposits at all. It has been very frustrating.
Just needed to vent

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 05:40 PM

22,844 posts, read 6,437,040 times
As a landlord I find the people who can't come up with the deposit are usually
going to have trouble coming up with the rent or paying on time...
We always have people asking if we will "work with them" on the deposit.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:00 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times
I agree with pekemom, if they have that many requests, you don't want them..! You will have a monthly battle to collect the rent.
Bite the bullet, hire a Property Management company. They will charge you a %, but will take all the headaches away.
If you have no experience in being a LL, you are in for a long, hard, learning experience..
Hire a PM...!!

Old 11-03-2011, 08:05 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,589,241 times
First of all make sure your property is in top shape, if it isn't, make it that way then the prospective tenant can't say much.
Also be sure to always run prospective tenants through a background checks ie: Private Investigator or the like. Look for criminal and civil judgements, garnishments, Lawsuits and credit and eviction history. Make them fill out an application and be sure to get both married and maiden names. (Sometimes they will have several) If your place is clean and competitively priced it will rent. Check out various rental website to see what others in your neighborhood are renting for like Realtor.com and the like. There are also property management companies that will do a market survey to figure the going rate but take what they say with a grain of salt. Be sure to get 5 yrs of history on the tenant and really do call the previous landlord if there is one. It takes work but it can be done.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:33 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,763,638 times
Renters have the upper hand right now. As a renter, during my annual lease renewal, I have successfully negotiated 3 rent reductions in the past 3 years. Good, reliable tenants are hard to come by.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:45 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
Renters have the upper hand right now. As a renter, during my annual lease renewal, I have successfully negotiated 3 rent reductions in the past 3 years. Good, reliable tenants are hard to come by.
Yes indeed. My wife, who is a property manager for single family homes and 2 large apartment complexes tells me this all the time. Landlords/investors need to keep up with fair market rates for their type of properties. Since I watch over a couple of investment properties for family members that live out of state, I keep up with whats comparable to the homes on the market. My mother-in-law swears that one of her homes should rent for $1050, but when I do the research, other homes in the same neighborhood go for $800-950. She can only command $1000+ if her homes is the best on the block. Which I can honestly say is not.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:47 PM

16 posts, read 46,862 times
Thanks for your input everyone. We put for rent at the end of Sept. since then we did lower the price, but everyone that has called has wanted to negotiate the price, oh and they have terrible credit. The property is in great condition, fresh paint and carpet great pool.
Thanks again for the ideas everyone has given me so far.

Old 11-04-2011, 04:08 AM

7 posts, read 17,978 times
Whats a description of your property you're trying to rent out? I'm moving out there and I'm undecided if I should buy or rent. For the now I only plan on being in Vegas for 4 or 5 years.

I'm looking at paying no more than $1,400 for rent or mortgage.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:10 AM

390 posts, read 755,655 times
Where is the property located? That has a large impact on rent. We rented our house out for $100 below what "zillow" said was going rate, and hired a PM. Got full deposit and renter had good credit. But house is in 89129. Also listed it on "rentals.com". Good luck!

Old 11-04-2011, 09:23 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alff View Post
Thanks for your input everyone. We put for rent at the end of Sept. since then we did lower the price, but everyone that has called has wanted to negotiate the price, oh and they have terrible credit. The property is in great condition, fresh paint and carpet great pool.
Thanks again for the ideas everyone has given me so far.
As a landlord you have to know that most of the residents in Las Vegas have bad credit due to various reasons, foreclosures, short sales and job loss's. You have to look past that and look at their job history and debt to income. I have clients that make 6 figuires but due to their bankruptcies and foreclosures they have bad credit. They make good money but chose to let their homes go due to their property being under water.

You didn't say if you live here, just in case you don't there is a Nevada Law that if you live more than 60 miles from the rental you are to have a property manager for the tenant and the law and fire departments to contact as well as the city if there are complaints. Whether you use a licensed property manager or someone you know you need to have one in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas