Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 04:32 PM

21 posts, read 45,867 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone--

we've never been to Las Vegas, but our jobs are moving us to Indian Springs in a few months. We'll be visiting this weekend and would like to start to look at various neighborhoods, schools, etc.

Looking online, it looks like the Centennial Hills area is closest to Indian Springs. Is that the best area to look? What about Summerlin and the other areas around there? We'd like to keep our commute as reasonable as possible, but also want to live in a family-friendly, nice area with fun stuff to do when we're not at work. We currently pay $1700/month rent and could go higher for the right neighborhood.

Also, we have a two-year-old and finding an awesome daycare/preschool for her is a top priority-- we will probably base where we live on it being close to her school to minimize the driving. We were looking at the Los Prados Challenger school and I'm hoping to check out one or two others while I'm there.

Any advice for us? I feel there's only so much I can learn from google and I want this weekend visit to be as productive as possible!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 04:51 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,807,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runner5678 View Post
Hi everyone--

we've never been to Las Vegas, but our jobs are moving us to Indian Springs in a few months. We'll be visiting this weekend and would like to start to look at various neighborhoods, schools, etc.

Looking online, it looks like the Centennial Hills area is closest to Indian Springs. Is that the best area to look? What about Summerlin and the other areas around there? We'd like to keep our commute as reasonable as possible, but also want to live in a family-friendly, nice area with fun stuff to do when we're not at work. We currently pay $1700/month rent and could go higher for the right neighborhood.

Also, we have a two-year-old and finding an awesome daycare/preschool for her is a top priority-- we will probably base where we live on it being close to her school to minimize the driving. We were looking at the Los Prados Challenger school and I'm hoping to check out one or two others while I'm there.

Any advice for us? I feel there's only so much I can learn from google and I want this weekend visit to be as productive as possible!

Thanks!
Stick to 89143. Best commute and best primary schools around. Convenient enough to the CH shopping etc.

Don't find anything there try Providence in 89166/89149. They are similar and also have a reasonable commute. If you can't find what you want there you ain't trying.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:37 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,001,815 times
Do you have any option not to go to Indian Springs? I was offered a transfer and promotion to go there and I turned it down.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 PM

ha ha no. We don't have any other option. Sounds like a great place But we are excited about Vegas-- never lived in this part of the country!

Old 12-04-2012, 08:42 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,001,815 times
Please... Check out Indian Springs first... Are you going to work for the prison? And at 1700. Per month, you should be buying...not renting

Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 PM

I know Indian Springs sucks... that's why we will live in Vegas. Trust me, the move is non-negotiable. And we will only be there for a few years so we don't plan to buy.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:25 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,807,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Please... Check out Indian Springs first... Are you going to work for the prison? And at 1700. Per month, you should be buying...not renting
Come on Airics. They are military or military contractors. Nobody else goes to Indian Springs.

And they should buy if they are likely to be here for three years... But they need to get their heads straight first.

They want young family stuff. Have to stay in civilization.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 PM

you got it lvoc. But we REALLY don't want to buy. We bought at our last location and are stuck with a mortgage already that we lose money on every month. Can't afford to do that again. Young family stuff is definitely what we are looking for...

Old 12-04-2012, 10:04 PM

102 posts, read 256,240 times
Yes to Centennial Hills. Great area and easy commute to Creech. My nearly 4 year old son is in what I consider to be the best preschool in Las Vegas: Kids' Co-op Preschool and Kindergarten. I would highly recommend doing a little research about what constitutes a great preschool. Challenger may be a good fit for you but is not for a lot of families. Kids' Co-op is a play based, developmentally appropriate and child-centered school with lots of parent participation. It may or may not be your thing. Feel.free to message me for more info. We have a number of military families including my own. Good luck with all your research!

Old 03-31-2013, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,780 times
Is there anywhere to rent in Indian springs, nv?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas