Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 06:12 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
I don't who is worse, someone who doesn't live in Vegas bashing, or someone who lives there and is so miserable or has no pride in their city.
Definitely someone that s forced to live there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
Speaking of sad, do you spend half of your time looking for negative things about Las Vegas to post here and the other half watching the pot you're stirring?
Don't have to search much...they present themselves very often on the Yahoo and MSN header pages.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:22 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
I bet the OP is really impressed with the folks that populate City Data...

Old 12-03-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I bet the OP is really impressed with the folks that populate City Data...
I hope he/she appriciates the balanced view.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:35 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
If the view is balanced by residents or those who have experience, then they should appreciate it. Those who battle out their "stuff" off topic, is another. It does happen on every forum though, so if they have been doing research, they have seen it. (In fact, I think it was mentioned)

If you don't have to search much for articles, you might surmise that those who care would have already seen it on their home page. Duh. But, the pot stirrers just have to post it. Just one of those psych 101 things: Those who feel a need to continue to bash something do it because it makes them feel better about their own poor lives. Key word: Continue.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:03 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
I would dearly love to rep you Kimba but your reps are full......

+1 anyway

Old 12-03-2011, 12:29 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hau_Ruck View Post
Thank you everyone who posted replies with genuine answers. As I'm sure there are many other posts asking "some" of the same questions which I've posted, the threads on the posts I did look through had a LOT of posts from users about unrelated topics- in other words, there was a lot of digression, off-topic conversations and I didn't want to search forever fishing for answers (we all have our reasons for the things we do, right?). I figured if anyone wanted to respond to my post, they would... and they have, and again I thank you all for doing so.
von949- that picture is insanely beautiful!! Thanks for posting
Buzz123- you're awesome. I appreciate your replies greatly. And what I meant by keeping off the strip was what else is there to do besides the strip? I'm not anti-strip since I've never been and I'm not making assumptions about what I'm not familiar with. And why are people so unfriendly there and impersonal? Have you a conclusion on that?

People here are not really unfriendly. Impersonal? Maybe. It's hard on people to lose friends as often as we do here, so we sometimes hesitate to get close to people who are new. Las Vegas is a transcient town. Always has been, always will be. Everyone here is from someplace else, as the saying goes. And they not only come and go in and out of town, but most of those who stay move around all over town quite a bit.

Several years ago, UNLV did a study that showed Las Vegas residents do not believe you're going to stay unless you've been here at least 2 years. And it showed that you are not considered a local until you've lived here at least 5 years. Like I said, it was several years ago, but I don't see anything to change that very much.

But, Las Vegans are known for coming to the rescue when there is a disaster. Fortunately we don't have to prove that very often.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
The strip can sometimes be considered a "walking trail". At least that's what it looks like when I drive by.
Every now and then, mo'lady and I do a Strip hike. You really miss a lot just driving around all the time. We are always surprised by something that we've never noticed before. Same thing in neighborhoods. Biking and hiking around town gives your spirits a boost, and you see all kinds of interesting stuff. We Las Vegans are used to depending on our cars to go everywhere because this town is so spread out. But it's good to park and stroll different areas now and then. Makes you realize our home is a pretty great city.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
On the subject of that picture: Not being a Las Vegan (Vagasian? Vegasite? Vagaser? What is it?), but a frequent visitor, it is the first picture I've seen that really shows the relationship of the area around the Stratosphere to the "Strip". I'm not sure most people realize it's not a straight shot, mainly because they're walking for ten miles to get there.
I was here for several years before I "realized" that curve is there. Then I saw a pic showing Las Vegas Boulevard South from all the way downtown to the Tropicana and had to do a double take. It was before all those high rises, and hotels were set back away from the road so you could park in front.

I still have trouble accepting all the pedestrians, as I go back to when nobody walked anywhere ...too hot. That's what valets are for.

Good pic. I stole it too.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:45 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
[quote=Buzz123;21965219][/u][/color]

Several years ago, UNLV did a study that showed Las Vegas residents do not believe you're going to stay unless you've been here at least 2 years. And it showed that you are not considered a local until you've lived here at least 5 years. Like I said, it was several years ago, but I don't see anything to change that very much.

QUOTE]

When we are interviewing, we wil not even consider anyone that has not spen at LEAST one summer here....preferably two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: