Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 11:49 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m73m95 View Post
How does he do driving a limo? I've seriously thought about doing that.

I'm in the same boat. I haven't worked in Vegas in 3.5 years (Echelon was my last job here), and I'm sick of traveling.

I already have a CDL (No passenger endorsement though...but I could get one easily).
He just started about 3 weeks ago after going thru truck driving school....got his CDL and decided he didnt like 'over the road" trucking....I havent talked to him since he started with them but his mom says that he likes it.....he's with Whittlesea which is the BEST company to be with in Transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 12:36 PM

542 posts, read 986,245 times
I'll have to check into it further.

I'm not really a people person, so I've been shying away from it..... but work is work right now

No idea ~ what he makes (without being to personal)?

Old 12-02-2011, 12:46 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,847,956 times
Quote:
Carpenters do a lot more than residential framing.

Nearly anything concrete is done by carpenters. Airports, malls, parking structures, elevator shafts, floors, columns in larger buildings.....

California actually has a fair bit of work going on right now, and is the same pay scale as here in Nevada, so most of the guys are down there, working. No need to take a pay cut to go to Texass.

I'm an estimator/project manager of a construction company and the guys who set forms for concrete are form setters. If you ask them what their trade is they will say 'form setter' even though setting a form is a form of (no pun intended) of carpentry . Same with the roofing guys that install the sheeting. They'll say they are roofers and not carpenters. In most commercial and public works projects the wall systems are metal stud framing. The smart carpenters have 'crossed' over to metal stud framing and now they can do both trades . Many green projects use metal studs.

But yeah, I understand what you mean by your post in terms of all work involving wood not just wall systems. There are small pockets of construction activity around the state but it is dead. I remember seeing the equipment rental yards super busy and totally stocked with every piece of machinery you can think of and many have closed and the ones still standing have down scaled their equipment inventories big time. What I like right now is that the California State License Board is cracking down on guys that are building without having a license. The agency is doing hardcore stings. This will help the contractor that has his licensing in order to compete.

-Cheers.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:08 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
Quote:
I'll have to check into it further.

I'm not really a people person, so I've been shying away from it..... but work is work right now

No idea ~ what he makes (without being to personal)?
no I don't.....but the majority of your money comes from tips....

when I first started driving a cab about a million years ago [they had STONE wheels] I wasn't a people person either.....working with them makes you into one......

Old 12-02-2011, 02:06 PM

542 posts, read 986,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
I'm an estimator/project manager of a construction company and the guys who set forms for concrete are form setters. If you ask them what their trade is they will say 'form setter' even though setting a form is a form of (no pun intended) of carpentry . Same with the roofing guys that install the sheeting. They'll say they are roofers and not carpenters. In most commercial and public works projects the wall systems are metal stud framing. The smart carpenters have 'crossed' over to metal stud framing and now they can do both trades . Many green projects use metal studs.

But yeah, I understand what you mean by your post in terms of all work involving wood not just wall systems. There are small pockets of construction activity around the state but it is dead. I remember seeing the equipment rental yards super busy and totally stocked with every piece of machinery you can think of and many have closed and the ones still standing have down scaled their equipment inventories big time. What I like right now is that the California State License Board is cracking down on guys that are building without having a license. The agency is doing hardcore stings. This will help the contractor that has his licensing in order to compete.

-Cheers.
Any need for a good crane operator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
no I don't.....but the majority of your money comes from tips....

when I first started driving a cab about a million years ago [they had STONE wheels] I wasn't a people person either.....working with them makes you into one......
I'm worried that working with people will make me hate them even more HAHAHA

Old 12-02-2011, 02:23 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,496,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebaby View Post
Okay, im here again... we were going to move back to Las Vegas 2 years ago but the economy was so bad and my husband is a carpenter so we stayed put. Is it getting any better now for construction/carpentry? Me and my son have a family there I miss and the beautiful blue sky's, but we don't want to be in the soup line.. Thanks for any input

There used to be carpenter jobs in LV like 5 years ago. Not no more.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:03 PM

26 posts, read 118,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Did you ever find your family?

//www.city-data.com/forum/newre...eply&p=2817736

A lot has changed if your family told you this.
Yes I found my brother!!!! About three years ago.. I kept googling his name and it came up from UNLV, he was getting an award but UNLV would give no information, and then I googled later and found him on facebook and left a message with my phone number and he called me the next day. I was so excited I had to sit down and he was blown away.. He has since met our aunts and cousins in Florida and spent xmas and Thanksgiving with them and he really hit it off with my cousins... It is a true blessing. He didn't know we existed... He hasn't been to Kansas yet.. someday, my cousins are closer to his age, we're 18 years difference.. Thanks for asking VON949

Old 12-17-2011, 02:05 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,810,844 times
I think you wanted to post that H E R E .
Congrats anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas