Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:49 PM

8 posts, read 19,718 times

Advertisements

I only ask because you seem to post a lot of "i hear" comments... Ive spoke to many people who have moved to Nevada from Hawaii and never heard anything as bad as you knocked it! Sorry if I offended you for asking... Compared to what Hawaii has to offer and the cost of living here... If the job I am looking into works out, then moving for me is really not a bad idea! Thanks for trying to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 09:06 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
I suggest that first you find some crime statistics for various neighborhoods in Clark County. I lived there for 10 years then moved to Kona - compared to LV we have practically no crime!

Electricity - much cheaper but you must have AC about 8 or 9 months of the year.

I found that groceries and generally everything else in Hawaii is more expensive than Nevada or Calif.

Try the online version of the Las Vegas Review Journal or the Sun, and Craigslist to price some rentals but like Hawaii - NEVER rent anything sight unseen. And, like any other locale pay a visit for several days so that you can check out various issues in person that are important to you.

You said your husband can transfer - where would he be working in Clark County? You want to take that into consideration when choosing a place to live (traffic, distance etc).

Best wishes.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:10 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I have heard that the health care services are not so great. Hospitals, because of the economic decline, have shut down facilities that are not making money.

I would seriously check out the schools and how they compare to others around the country.

I heard people have exterminators come in about four times per year to treat for snakes and scorpions. I have also heard that some homes (I don't know the materials they are made of) require spraying with a garden hose each morning to prevent the dry excessive heat from pulverizing the cinder blocks around the perimeter.

Health care is not great but then, not great in Hawaii either unless you do live on Oahu like the OP does. Try to find a decent primary care physician and avoid the "clinics" where you never see the same practitioner twice in a row.

Not sure where you get your information but I had way less bugs and never saw a snake for 10 years in LV - now if you're out in the desert edges you probably would see them. Scorpions, yes we had a lot of those in places. Lots of spiders. Pest control there is probably 1/4 what you could spend in Hawaii.

Never heard of anyone having to spray their house every day.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:53 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Medicine is HORRIBLE in Vegas.
The hospital was an interview on the radio with both the governor and the head of some hospital. There was also a special on tv, interviewing poor people who were turned down for treatment after being treated regularly because the cancer treatment ward had been closed down.

THe home treatments for vermon and the excessive pulverizing dry heat were comments from homeowners in the area.

[mod cut- off topic]
[mod cut-response to deleted material]
Again.....you're blowing smoke.....as someone that has benefited from treatment in the local hospitals....well....you know.....anyway......I hope no one makes a decision based upon smoke blowing....

The Cancer Treatment ward DID have a TEMPORARY funding problem last fall but that was VERY temporary.

Last edited by observer53; 01-19-2012 at 07:53 AM..

Old 01-22-2012, 05:24 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drms808 View Post
I only ask because you seem to post a lot of "i hear" comments... Ive spoke to many people who have moved to Nevada from Hawaii and never heard anything as bad as you knocked it! Sorry if I offended you for asking... Compared to what Hawaii has to offer and the cost of living here... If the job I am looking into works out, then moving for me is really not a bad idea! Thanks for trying to help.
I can only relay what I have been told. Maybe people have exaggerated. I have no way of knowing. Good luck to you.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:28 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
[mod cut-response to deleted material]
Again.....you're blowing smoke.....as someone that has benefited from treatment in the local hospitals....well....you know.....anyway......I hope no one makes a decision based upon smoke blowing....

The Cancer Treatment ward DID have a TEMPORARY funding problem last fall but that was VERY temporary.
Ok, as I stated, this was information that I heard over both radio and tv. I am not 'blowing smoke' and resent the inference. I have not lied about anything here and am not on a campaign to discourage people from moving into the area. I am merely stating why we made the decision not to.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:17 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,536,885 times
you can work for crazyshirts retail here... :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas