Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 11:00 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times

Advertisements

Sunflower Market
3365 East Tropicana Avenue, Las Vegas, NV (Also on Rainbow in Summerlin)
Las Vegas, NV
(702) 777-0650
Sunflower Markets : Your source for meal planning, printable coupons, savings and recipes.

This is sort of the "poor man's Whole Foods." Except that it's still expensive compared to the other markets. If you're already in the neighborhood, it's worth a visit. They have a bulk section, but not as good as Whole Foods or Winco. They have beer and wine, but not as good as Trader Joe's. They have meat, but not as good as Village. And El Super or Market 168 has much better produce. So, basically, they're the "almost as good as" market.

Winco Foods

80 N. Stephanie (also one in North Las Vegas way up on Decatur)
Henderson, NV 89074
(702) 558-5364
WinCo Foods

When WinCo broke ground on their two stores, some people got on their knees in thanks. Or at least you'd believe that by the way they commented online. (To the point that you wonder if they were paid for their excitement.) WinCo is basically a mash-up of Whole Foods and Walmart. It's bulk purchasing without the "organic." The rest of the store is like visiting a Walmart food market.

They do have an excellent bulk section, which includes bulk spices, bulk honey, bulk grains, rice, beans, candy, snacks, and so on.

Caspian Market

2101 S Decatur Blvd
Las Vegas, NV 89102
(702) 257-1330

Same plaza as Trader Joe's, right next door. This place is much like Jones Market, mentioned earlier. A good selection of Russian/Persian foodstuffs. Since Jones Market doesn't sell high-end caviar any more, this is the place to get it.

Rani’s World Foods
4505 W. Sahara Ave
Las Vegas, NV 89102
(702) 522-7744
Home

Same plaza as Zia Records. Says "International Market" on the building. But don't confuse them with International Marketplace on Decatur. If you like Indian food, this is your new favorite store. They sell every spice, chutney, curry and sauce you can think of. And they have a fantastic lunch counter on site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 12:27 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Sunflower Market
3365 East Tropicana Avenue, Las Vegas, NV (Also on Rainbow in Summerlin)
Las Vegas, NV
(702) 777-0650
Sunflower Markets : Your source for meal planning, printable coupons, savings and recipes.
Actually, it's 4 miles east of Summerlin in Spring Valley.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:56 PM

39 posts, read 82,598 times
thank you for info on shopping food places; now is shopping at Nellis Air Force Base comissary more expensives food shopping compared to markets outside the base? Wife and I arriving in three weeks to live in North Las Vegas.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksamson View Post
thank you for info on shopping food places; now is shopping at Nellis Air Force Base comissary more expensives food shopping compared to markets outside the base? Wife and I arriving in three weeks to live in North Las Vegas.
I haven't shopped there. I have neighbors who do. But they don't buy all of their groceries on base.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:48 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costaricageorge View Post
If you are anywhere near Glazier's it is well worth it for the meat, deli, seafood and produce. They advertise all their specials online. I go once every couple of weeks to stock up on what ever chicken and steak they are offering on special. The produce is always cheap and they always have a couple types of Boar's Head lunch meats on special. They carry everything else you would need althoug I find their dry goods to be a bit expensive. If you are looking for any specifice sauces or ethnic foods they usually have it and carry tons of East Coast items.
Have you ever seen Walkerswood Jerk Spice there? I've looked all over for that stuff.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:10 PM

499 posts, read 1,059,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksamson View Post
It is hit and miss on most items. Their sales are usually cheaper with coupons.
I have found most vegetables, staples, dairy, and dry goods are cheaper out in town. The comissary usually has the best price on meat when it is on sale. One big negative is the comissary still charges a 5% surcharge. I rarely go shopping on base anymore except to the BX which you can find deals on electronics with no sales tax.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Have you ever seen Walkerswood Jerk Spice there? I've looked all over for that stuff.
Pretty sure I've bought it at Village Meat and Deli AND at International Market.

Are you talking about Walkerswood brand, or the Busha Brown brand? I see Busha Brown more often.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:51 PM

Time to add the farms, farmer's markets and co-ops to the list:

Bountiful Baskets

Multiple locations
Bountiful Baskets

Bountiful baskets is somewhat complicated. First, sign up. Then find the location closest (or most convenient) for you. Order between Monday at noon and 10 p.m. on Tuesday. The baskets of produce are distributed the following Saturday morning. There is a 20-minute window for pick-up. If you're late, the food is donated (to the people who volunteered that morning).

You choose a basket (regular or organic), choose any add-on items (like bread, special baskets "salsa basket" "berry basket" or tins of olive oil), and then make a "donation." They have to call it a donation to get around the fact that they're not a grocery store. But it's not like the donation is optional.

The basket of regular produce works out to about $1/pound. Organic is $2.50 per pound. And you don't know what you'll be getting any given week. They'll give you some guidance, "There'll be plenty of corn in next weeks basket." But no specifics. So this isn't the ideal place for picky eaters.

Vegas Food Co-Op
vegasfoodcoop.com

This is one of the best ways to buy beef in the valley. They accept orders for the next shipment from Bar-10 ranch (usually a month out). On pickup day, the well wrapped packages of beef are in an insulated cooler. We buy a 1/12 cow every three months or so. Just read their website for details. They also maintain a nice list of farmer's markets.

Gilcrease Orchard
7800 N Tenaya Way
Las Vegas, 89131
Welcome to the Orchard | Gilcrease Orchard

This is the popular "Pick and Pay" farm in the valley. They are open for picking Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays from 7 am to noon. And I strongly suggest 7 am. The later you arrive, the more picked through the fields are. Also, in the summer, 7 am is more conducive to picking tomatoes. And if you're one of the "Oh HELL no! I am not picking produce at 7 in the morning" people, they do sell bags of potatoes and onions and good prices. No stooping required.

Their website lists what's available this week, and the price.

In the spring, we always go here to buy our vegetable seedlings for the garden. They sell higher quality and lower cost plants than the nurseries and hardware stores.

Bet on the Farm
The Springs Preserve
333 South Valley View Boulevard
Las Vegas, NV 89107-4372
http://www.betonthefarm.com/calendar.cfm

It looks like Molto Vegas farmer's market has packed up and moved to Springs Preserve. I haven't visited the new venue. It's open Thursdays from 10 am to 3 pm. With farmer's markets, it's best to get there early.

Last edited by ScoopLV; 07-18-2012 at 02:04 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 07:41 AM

39 posts, read 82,598 times
Thank you all have been informative.

Old 07-19-2012, 05:04 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
How about WinCo foods..We shop there and they have a big selection of things....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas