Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 11:26 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,442,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipresa View Post
Our neighbor came by one evening and asked us to clean up our tree mess on their front lawn as they have done it for years and now with aging and health problems, they couldn't manage it any more. It was a pine-type tree that lost needles in the winter. We had no idea it was bothersome and were horrified to realize the work our tree, which we didn't even like, made for them.

We had it removed and our neighbors were so grateful.

Your neighbor may not know its a nuisance to you so meet up with him.
Great advice. And no to LinkfromCal, most HOA's don't have issues about leaves on your property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 01:38 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,398,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipresa View Post
Our neighbor came by one evening and asked us to clean up our tree mess on their front lawn as they have done it for years and now with aging and health problems, they couldn't manage it any more. It was a pine-type tree that lost needles in the winter. We had no idea it was bothersome and were horrified to realize the work our tree, which we didn't even like, made for them.

We had it removed and our neighbors were so grateful.

Your neighbor may not know its a nuisance to you so meet up with him.
You are wonderful neighbors to do that. Did they at least bake you a pie or something?

Old 12-09-2011, 02:23 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,819,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkFromSoCal View Post
My neighbor has four very large, very leafy trees directly next to my property. I never paid attention to them during summer (I moved here early summer), but now, the leaves are obviously all falling, and I seem to be getting as many of his leaves on my property as he is! My front yard, side yard, and back yard are covered. There are also tons of leaves in the pool, which is a pain to clean.

Is it simply my responsibility alone to clean this mess, or can I bring it up with him? I only have two palm trees on my entire property, so if I were to complain, he can't come back and say "what about YOUR leaves in my yard?"

I don't think I'm being unreasonable about wanting to complain. If it were just a few leaves, it'd be no problem, but the amount falling is easily enough to fill our trash container, and it's all from his lawn.
You can complain to your HOA and see if their rules permit that particular type of tree to be planted.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:31 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,549,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post

A neighbor talking to me face to face would sit fine with me. A neighbor taking a saw to my trees, consulting a lawyer to send me a letter, or reporting me to the HOA wouldn't sit as well. Guess others feel differently.
Anything to avoid face to face discussion! Makes me think everyone has anxiety disorders.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:24 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,229,346 times
Leaves will blow in your yard from blocks away. They have these things called rakes that work pretty good. Did you enjoy any of the shade during our hot weather? Were the trees there already before you bought the house. Could you have decided to live somewhere else? If people didn't plant them, do you know that there wouldn't be any trees in Las Vegas except for a few areas next to a wash or two? In the good old days, before the invasion, we hardly ever saw a bird either. Now trees and birds are plentiful and nice to see. And those things, plus more good restaurants, are about all the good we have had from all of y'all invading our Valley. So suck it up and stop complaining ...it could be worse.

Oh yeah, and plant a tree. Newbies are using up our air too fast.

BTW: I luv ya man.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:29 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,229,346 times
Reminds me of the people who bought at the end of the Nellis AFB runway, and complained about the noise. Or they buy near the pig farm that has been there forever, and complain about the smell. Maybe not as drastic, but the same principal.

Three rules of real estate and all that...

Old 12-09-2011, 05:51 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,911,188 times
We lived in a house a few years ago and the neighbors trees kept dropping branches and leaves all over our backyard and driveway..... Decided to talk to them about it.... They didn't speak English.. They had one of the kids translate..Or at least I think they translated.. Anywho, they said NO.. our problem.. So then I cut back all the branches and they "fell" on their side fo the fence.. Now it was their problem... Some had even grown thru the fence and were part of it..This happened before we moved in..Must have been doing that for years.. So I cut them out and amazingly they "fell" on their side again....

Old 12-09-2011, 07:15 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,722,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
We lived in a house a few years ago and the neighbors trees kept dropping branches and leaves all over our backyard and driveway..... Decided to talk to them about it.... They didn't speak English.. They had one of the kids translate..Or at least I think they translated.. Anywho, they said NO.. our problem.. So then I cut back all the branches and they "fell" on their side fo the fence.. Now it was their problem... Some had even grown thru the fence and were part of it..This happened before we moved in..Must have been doing that for years.. So I cut them out and amazingly they "fell" on their side again....
Wow, you're clever.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:26 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,242,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Reminds me of the people who bought at the end of the Nellis AFB runway, and complained about the noise. Or they buy near the pig farm that has been there forever, and complain about the smell. Maybe not as drastic, but the same principal.

Three rules of real estate and all that...

When I lived in Pittsburgh a similar thing happened. A developer built loft-style condos in a gentrified neighborhood across the Monongahela River from downtown. (Of course he didn't make the condos out of the many existing abandoned warehouses ... that would have been too hard.) The stylish properties sold like the proverbial hotcakes to first-time buyers. Who then got together to petition when they moved in and noticed that the only thing standing between them and the river was a railroad track. Which was being used by Amtrak, CSX, and Union night and day. They actually expected the railroad to reroute its trains because of their condos. Unfortunately I was gone by the time the next flood happened (the land was flooded twice in the time I lived in the neighborhood). That was no doubt Phase 2 in their introduction to caveat emptor.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:31 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,877,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkFromSoCal View Post
My neighbor has four very large, very leafy trees directly next to my property. I never paid attention to them during summer (I moved here early summer), but now, the leaves are obviously all falling, and I seem to be getting as many of his leaves on my property as he is! My front yard, side yard, and back yard are covered. There are also tons of leaves in the pool, which is a pain to clean.

Is it simply my responsibility alone to clean this mess, or can I bring it up with him? I only have two palm trees on my entire property, so if I were to complain, he can't come back and say "what about YOUR leaves in my yard?"

I don't think I'm being unreasonable about wanting to complain. If it were just a few leaves, it'd be no problem, but the amount falling is easily enough to fill our trash container, and it's all from his lawn.
Your point-of-view is one of my pet peeves. I have trees in my yard and the leaves blow into my neighbor's yard. My yard is "natural" - my neighbor's yard is wall-to-wall blacktop. We obviously have different values. He thinks trees are a nuisance and is not a fan of nature in general, based on the blacktop.

On the other hand, I LOVE nature . . .and I feel like leaves are just something that everyone has to deal with. You are allowed to cut branches that are on your side of the fence and as far as I know, that is it (although check the rules with your city).

If my neighbor knocked on my door and asked me to rake the leaves in HIS yard, I would think he was out of his mind.

Just deal with it. Rake them or put a "for sale" sign in your yard and be sure to disclose to the next buyer that there are "hazardous" leaves that fall from various sources.

Absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas