U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 11,731 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at posts related to Spanish Trails as we are considering it for retirement. Some of the numbers I've seen do not add up. In one post it was stated that the annual budget for the HOA is $3.9 million. Another post stated the monthly fees range from $400 - $500. A realtor site stated there are 1,200+ homes in Spanish Trails. My math results in a range of around $6-7 million revenue for the HOA, and unless they sock away the rest to a reserve fund (unlikely) some, or all of these figures must be wrong.
Any comments?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2011, 11:34 AM

372 posts, read 980,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlimeyaLimey View Post
I've been looking at posts related to Spanish Trails as we are considering it for retirement. Some of the numbers I've seen do not add up. In one post it was stated that the annual budget for the HOA is $3.9 million. Another post stated the monthly fees range from $400 - $500. A realtor site stated there are 1,200+ homes in Spanish Trails. My math results in a range of around $6-7 million revenue for the HOA, and unless they sock away the rest to a reserve fund (unlikely) some, or all of these figures must be wrong.
Any comments?
I don't think its unlikley that the rest doesn't go into reserves. In a Gaurd Gated HOA like that the HOA is responsible for everything. Things that need to be done every 3, 5, 10, 15, 30, etc years will go into that reserve fund. For instance, in our HOA every 5 years we resurface and fill in the roads (I forget what that is called) and the HOA calls for a completely redoing the roads every 30 years.

You also need to factor in the homes that are currently bank owned. The banks are not paying the HOA fees.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:01 PM

1,817 posts, read 3,523,805 times
Maybe MadMan will chime in. He lives there.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:23 PM

152 posts, read 340,849 times
They are around $500...$225 goes to the Master Plan.

There is also an assessment of a few thousand a year in there.

There have been some internal discussions about the new entrances and such which caused some of this.

Mad Man probably knows a lot more.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:45 PM

7 posts, read 29,737 times
Spanish Trail (there is no "s" at the end) has a couple of HOA fees, the master fees and the fees for a particular neighborhood - then if you want to use the Country Club or Golf Course you pay additional monthly fees - although now the Golf Course is pretty much open to anyone for a daily fee so no idea why you'd join it and the Country Club has almost no events except "meal" related ones and you pay for each. Heard they charged attendees $55 each for their annual Country Club member Appreciation Day with no entertainment etc. And their New Years Eve party is over at 9pm - maybe they are just not pulling in the younger or more active crowds anymore...

Old 12-20-2011, 07:46 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,638,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlimeyaLimey View Post
Any comments?
Spanish Trails has two fees, and if you want a golf membership that's another fee. The country club has different membership fees depending if you want to golf or just use the club house and dining. Also you don't have to live in Spanish Trail to purchase a memebership. Some of the properties the hoa takes care of the buildings.

It looks like after it's bankruptcy Spanish Trails will see a profit.

Spanish Trail club expecting a profit

Old 12-20-2011, 10:18 AM

9,058 posts, read 13,103,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
Maybe MadMan will chime in. He lives there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by repru View Post
They are around $500...$225 goes to the Master Plan.

There is also an assessment of a few thousand a year in there.

There have been some internal discussions about the new entrances and such which caused some of this.

Mad Man probably knows a lot more.
Just saw this thread as I had been out of the country when it was first posted.

Spanish Trail is made up of numerous smaller developments (Springs, Islands, Carmels, Links, Gardens, Estates, etc.) totaling over 1200 properties. As others have stated, there are actually two separate HOA fees; one for the master association and one for whatever subassociation you live in. The master association is $225/month and the subassociations charge anywhere from $200 - $300. The fees are reviewed annually and do rise. Although the master has stayed flat at $225 since I moved here, my subassociation fee has gone from $225 in 2010, to $235 in 2011 and now to $245 in 2012. There is no longer any separate assessment to be paid. That was a special assessment to cover the replacement/rebuilding of the two main gates as well as repair of the exterior wall around the entire development. (I had the previous owners pay the entire amount for me as part of my purchase agreement.)

The fees in Spanish Trail cover things that most HOAs don't. For example, the HOA painted my house over the summer and also replaced some broken tiles on my roof. My neighbors across the street are having there entire roofs replaced this week. (I haven't been notified yet whether mine will be done during this cycle.) Basically, the HOA covers all exterior maintenance as well as mowing the grass and doing the landscaping.

There are other little services/benefits as well. For example, while I was out of town, the roving security guards would come to my house several times a day to check to see that everything was okay. Yesterday, I had a dead car battery because we had left an interior light on overnight. I called the front gate and they sent the security guard over to jump start my car.

As has been noted, the country club is a separate entity. However, homeowners have access to the swimming pools, tennis courts and fitness center without having to join or paying any additional fees. Only the golf course and clubhouse activities (restaurants and special events) are off-limits to residents. Additionally, each of the villa/townhouse communities have their own community pools for residents of those communities.

If the OP has any other questions about living in Spanish Trail, feel free to ask. I love living here and happen to live in a development with very friendly neighbors. We have both hosted and been invited to several little neighborhood parties and/or BBQs. The only caveat I would add is that there aren't many families with young children here if that is what you are looking for.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:34 PM

7 posts, read 29,737 times
We checked into the Social Membership at the Country Club and it included use of the tennis courts and pool (seriously outdated pool that I'd be embarrased to take anyone to) but not use of the exercise facilities or classes. On another note there - the Las Vegas Athletic Club is nearby and awesome for about $22 per month (as of early 2012) so maybe the gym at the CC is a moot point.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:06 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,370,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieD View Post
Spanish Trail (there is no "s" at the end) has a couple of HOA fees, the master fees and the fees for a particular neighborhood
$500/mo. HOA and there's only ONE trail?

Old 03-16-2012, 08:32 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,638,512 times
Membership group plans $6 million bid for Spanish Trail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas