Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 05:38 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,096 times

Advertisements

Rent is cheap in Las Vegas compared to Metro Areas of the same size on the west coast. I think buying would be cheaper if you would pay cash for you home and not worry about paying interest on a mortgage. Renting is not a bad thing if you want the option to move and not be stuck in that same location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 12:09 AM

47 posts, read 149,780 times
What is up with all the married couples and boyfriend/girlfriends, renting out rooms in their houses? I don't think I have seen that much on the east coast. If I had a girlfriend/wife, the last thing I would want to do would be to let someone move into my house.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:13 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler500 View Post
What is up with all the married couples and boyfriend/girlfriends, renting out rooms in their houses? I don't think I have seen that much on the east coast. If I had a girlfriend/wife, the last thing I would want to do would be to let someone move into my house.
$$$

Old 12-14-2011, 03:36 AM

44 posts, read 109,695 times
Quote:
The rent prices seem to be as high as Staten Island, NY rent prices, but the difference is a home in Staten Island costs 5-10x a las vegas home, and staten island is part of NYC.

It gets me really mad to see people asking ridiculously high rent prices for a home that is worth 30-50K. 1000K to 1500K a week for a home worth that much, anything wrong here?
Who told you that NY is the most expensive at rent? West coast is more expensive especially California and Washington and Las Vegas is really cheap. I don`t know how people could complain of $700/1 or 2 bedrooms. You don`t like that area, you go south with the same price. Fine locations have the same prices, but in LA you pay $1000 for a ghetto location/1 bedroom.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:10 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,637,545 times
Quote:
You see in Vegas, its room AND broad!

Find a hot couple and rent a room, you may get lucky and get some surf & turf action

Jonathan

Old 12-14-2011, 01:39 PM

137 posts, read 221,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
You see in Vegas, its room AND broad!

Find a hot couple and rent a room, you may get lucky and get some surf & turf action

Jonathan
Per OWS crowd: Sharing is not optional!

Old 12-14-2011, 02:05 PM

When I said rent was expensive, I meant that compared to what the value of the house or apartment is, it is very expensive.

Renting even for 700 a month, on a 40K house is expensive. And that would probably be the best deal you could find at 700. Most I see are like 1K a month and house is like 40K.

I could be wrong because I did not have time to work the numbers out, but compared to what real estate costs in Staten Island, NY. You would pay just a bit more than vegas, like maybe 30% more, but the house value is worth 5x to 10x more.

So for example, you rent in vegas 700 a month, but house costs 40,000. In Staten Island, you would rent 1000 a month, but house is worth 300,000.

You can't just look at the rents in Vegas and compare them to California where the house values are 10x more and say wow vegas is cheap, I pay 50% less, but the house prices in vegas are like 10 times less.

From what I can see, you can rake in alot of cash by buying cheap houses and renting them out, especially if you furnish them. However, I have to work the numbers better and actually see what is on the market. I just got here so did not have time to research, as I need to find a place to live.

I am looking for renting a room currently. Even those are ridiculously priced. Most ask 450 to 600 for a room in a house worth say 100,000. They rent out 2 of those rooms in their 4 bedroom house and they just paid the full rent and can pocket additional money.

The real estate maket in vegas is more like Albany, NY, where you can buy houses fairly cheap and rent them out to college students. I think its a great market here for doing that. staten Island was a terrible market for doing that because the houses were just way too expensive for what you can get in rent.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:37 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,899 times
I know what you're talking about. The Housing value has dropped her but the rent has not.

Two factors in this are:

Some people are trying to keep there houses by renting them out. The rent is based of their mortgage not the actual value. Secondly, as someone else mentioned. demand for rentals has skyrocketed with so many people having lost their homes to foreclosure. You are correct. It is a buyers market right now.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:04 PM

Without a doubt it is a buyers market, and not a rentals. I just spoke with someone about a room, and of course he said he has a number of locations that he rents. A room he just listed already has 10 people wanting to come see it.

These landlord people who rent by the room are raking in the cash. All they have to do is spend a little time showing the room.

Put it this way, if you have say 5-10 houses, you spend maybe 5-10 hours a week dealing with issues and finding people, you then can rake in like a 30-50K salary for doing close to nothing.

I seen these landlords do this up in Albany where I went to college. It does not make sense to work as a slave for someone when you can easily do a real estate rental business. Vegas is perfect for it now. Many places are not perfect for this.

Gets me pissed off when I see people making this easy money and they don't have to be a slave to some boss. Then I rent from them and put more cash into their pocket.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:20 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,126 times
The Rent Is Too Damn High Party

Rent: Too Damn High! Song. - YouTube

I'm just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas