Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 01:22 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
We have a thread somewhere around her that deals with this. You can buy a very good water softner for 500
Right here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...ener-home.html

@OP
That Kinetico system is overpriced and the valve is proprietary. Unless you are getting that softener for free, then let the homeowner take it. Make sure they hook your loop back up or you won't have any water in the house.

For $550 you can buy an equivalent entire softening system with a quality Fleck valve (see that other thread). The whole house filter in your picture adds another $100. Beyond that, I would seriously research whether you want to drop cash on a dechlorinator, I wouldn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 07:04 PM

35 posts, read 153,127 times
I just got the chance to snap a photo of the actual water softener system, so people aren't confused with the original one I put up as a reference...so here it is:

just to sum up for new people - he's asking $2000, and it will still have a warranty for 6 years that transfers to me. Just getting opinions on here if I should go for it, ask a bit lower ($1300 - $1500), or just get a new lower priced system.

Thanks again...I've been reading all the links that were sent my way!

Old 12-16-2011, 07:09 PM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,645 times
After seeing the actual unit I still say pass. Kinetico isn't known for quality, they are known for being overpriced, non-user serviceable, and proprietary to their parts only.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
After seeing the actual unit I still say pass. Kinetico isn't known for quality, they are known for being overpriced, non-user serviceable, and proprietary to their parts only.
Thanks for your opinion

...I've been reading a lot on different water softeners, and from what I've read:

>SEARS-type and lower end systems can offer greater value, but a lot of people seem to go with the "you get what you pay for" theme on these, and they may need replaced more often.

>A lot like the Fleck valves and a DIY approach to building a system and saving.

>There's a love/hate with Kinetico...a lot who love them claim they haven't needed much upkeep and they have lasted for a long time.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:35 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutKaz View Post
I just got the chance to snap a photo of the actual water softener system, so people aren't confused with the original one I put up as a reference...so here it is:

just to sum up for new people - he's asking $2000, and it will still have a warranty for 6 years that transfers to me. Just getting opinions on here if I should go for it, ask a bit lower ($1300 - $1500), or just get a new lower priced system.

Thanks again...I've been reading all the links that were sent my way!
I really thought anything connected to the house in a permanent manner usually transfers with the house. But anyway...

You can still get a new one cheaper, especially when you consider it's going to need $400 worth of work. It seems this might be a case where as a buyer, you have to play hardball.

My first response would be - it comes with the house, you're not paying extra for it.

If the seller says no and you are set on the house then the 2nd response would be if they remove it, then the seller needs to pay the plumber to put the loop back in.

It's a buyer's market....move on if the seller doesn't agree.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
I really thought anything connected to the house in a permanent manner usually transfers with the house.
It usually does, but in this case, the owner paid $5400 for the system in 2007, and had a clause in the contract that he could take the item.

It's a short sale - so if the owner does take the system, would I be responsible for having a plumber put a loop back in?

Old 12-16-2011, 08:41 PM

2,544 posts, read 2,737,099 times
The owner would have to insure that the water works in the house whether he takes the water softener system or not.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:52 PM

152 posts, read 377,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
The owner would have to insure that the water works in the house whether he takes the water softener system or not.
Where does it say that?

There is no clause that requires anything to work. Seller needs to disclose if it does not. But generally you don't get a short seller to spend any money.

OP I would suggest you offer $500 or $700 for the system. It is worth that. And it is inplace and working. I would not fix the chlorine remover. By pass it or ignore it.

Any time Kinetco wants a $1000 or more to fix the system junk it and get another. But you may get more than 10 years out of it as long as the parts are under warrantee.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:53 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,675,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutKaz View Post

It was installed in 2007 and has had no work done on the unit.

She stated that the carbon would need to be replaced in the dechlorinator soon ($395 + $105 labor)
I find this to be a deal breaker.

I agree with the other poster...Kinetico is over priced and high pressure. Just because the previous owner overpaid doesn't make the unit as valuable as she thinks it is.

Go with reverse osmosis.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:03 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
I've purchased & installed many water softeners from the web in various homes I own. I've never paid more than $600 for a brand new one delivered. You can install it yourself if you are at all handy. If not, for 50 bucks a handyman can hook it up. I've never had one fail - even after 25 years.

Water softeners are very simple devices. The ONLY kind of water softener that actually works is an ion-exchange system that substitutes sodium ions for the "hardness" ions (mostly calcium). You can also use potassium chloride salt instead of sodium chloride - it costs about 4 or 5 times as much, but is more heart-healthy. The amount of sodium or potassium in the soft water is completely a function of how "hard" the source water is -- and Las Vegas water tends to be pretty hard.

Other types of non-salt water softeners do not work. They are snake oil. See for example The BunkHouse: Water pseudoscience gallery

All the salt based water softeners are "set and forget". You "program" it for the hardness of your water and that is it.

There are two categories of valves on these water softeners. The preferred type is on-demand regeneration. With this type, the valve knows in advance the capacity of the resin tank and the hardness of the input water, and once the resin needs to be regenerated based on actual use, it schedules a regeneration for 2AM (or whenever).

The other type of valve is schedule based: it regenerates every 7 days or whatever.

These things are not rocket science. The water is just as soft coming out of a bargain water softener ($400) as it is coming out of a $5,000 system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas