Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 09:09 PM

6 posts, read 11,864 times

Advertisements

Since my family and I have moved into our house about 9 years ago we've been stuck with sub-par ISPs and we currently have Centurylink. I've been looking for days on end for a new provider, and there's just nothing to be found. We live on a major street but aren't part of a subdivision. We have neighboring houses literally less than 100 feet away that have Cox but apparently it would be too expensive for them to hook us up to their service. I've pretty much accepted the fate that we have to use overpriced internet with Centurylink, but I thought about giving this one last shot. Does anyone know of any ISPs other than Cox and Centurylink in the town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 11:01 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
Cox, Cox, Cox.

But if speed and reliability is not a factor how about the internet service that is provided by the wireless phone companies?

You also have Clear and Air Band. You can check out these threads for any additional info.

//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...t-bundles.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...e-vegas-3.html

Last edited by von949; 12-16-2011 at 11:13 PM..

Old 12-17-2011, 06:54 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,811,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
You also have Clear and Air Band. You can check out these threads for any additional info.

I've been with Clear in Las Vegas for about a year. I have one of their 4g "pucks" with unlimited data for $45 a month. So far so good. Just make sure you check the coverage maps to see if you're solidly in service range. If you're near the edge of coverage, you'll have much slower and spotty service.

Bill

Old 12-17-2011, 07:35 AM

6 posts, read 11,864 times
Utes, what speed do you get with Clear? And is that for one computer or a home setup? Thank you.

EDIT: I'd love to have Cox as my ISP but it seems that my "neighborhood" is a dead island for them. I've also talked to Verizon and AT&T about both of their fiber optic and DSL plans but neither of their plans are available.

Last edited by Monkeymshr21; 12-17-2011 at 07:58 AM..

Old 12-17-2011, 09:04 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,811,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeymshr21 View Post
Utes, what speed do you get with Clear? And is that for one computer or a home setup?
Good question.

The "puck" allows up to 6 users to log on.

I typically run 3+ mps on the puck. Of course, being it's cellular based (i.e., through local cell towers), it'll dip down to 1 mps during peak times. I can literally tell if business is good on The Strip because my feed slows.

Contrast that with my other home's hard line DSL which runs 5 mps pretty much regardless of what time of day it is.

Something to consider is portability. Obviously, hard-wired DSL data feeds are faster - but you are tied to a site. The cellular data feeds (like Clear) are slower - but move with you (as long as you are in a coverage area).

Bill

Old 12-17-2011, 12:39 PM

152 posts, read 377,094 times
It is a pain. Happened because whoever developed your tract wanted money from Cox to put in the cable. Cox now gets in free as it is a phone provided.

Only known solution is to piggyback off someone in a nearby neighborhood with a wireless link. Got a nearby good buddy?

Some of these areas can't get Century Link broad band either.

Clear is sometimes OK. Black or white generally. Not up to Cox though.

Cox will put in a connection for well less than what it costs...So if it is not too long a run you and neighbors might think about it. Worked through one in the NW but unfortunately it was a half mile and $30,000 discounted.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:37 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,536,885 times
sprint is also a major 4g contributor in Vegas... with hot spot if necessary.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:23 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,096 times
I currently have Verizon's LTE 4G on my smartphone and its pretty amazing. i get super fast speeds usually 10-18 Megs down/3-6 megs up. My plan is "grandfathered" so I truly have unlimited and is not capped like the new plans at 2-4 gig. I use an average of 10-15 gigs a month since I stream a lot of video content and sometimes even more. I know someone who has clear and they also have an older plan for $25 unlimited and gets 1-4 megs down/ .5-1.5 up Good enough for browsing and email, but not for video.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:24 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,808,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Cox, Cox, Cox.

But if speed and reliability is not a factor how about the internet service that is provided by the wireless phone companies?

//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...t-bundles.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/las-v...e-vegas-3.html

You like Cox?

lol

Old 12-17-2011, 07:57 PM

579 posts, read 997,545 times
My Cox internet is atrocious. Between 7-11pm it lags bad and trying to stream Netflix is impossible because it cannot sustain a stream. I complained about it and they told me it is because too much bandwidth is used in my area, as if that was my problem. They have refused to upgrade the poor infrastructure while demand has grown. It is not as bad at my office but it has its issues. I am not sure I would complain about not being able to get them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas