Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 08:53 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Obviously they were thinking that it would be convenient for the tourists to have the airport in proximity to the Strip.
Nothing would make the cab drivers happier than closing it down and relocating it somewhere near Primm. What would be the cab fare from there to the Strip?

Despite the noise, I hope the Airport stays where it's at forever and ever!

I hate traveling to cities, like Denver, where it's a 40 mile drive into town!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 09:51 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelflessGene View Post
I am considering a move to LV and am trying to get the lay of the land via Google Map. I was viewing some possible rental locations near UNLV when I noticed that McCarren International Airport appears to be right in the middle of the metro area. Those NE/SW runways look like they're pointed straight at the campus! Those E/W runways appear to run straight into S. Las Vegas Blvd! It's like three miles from Downtown!

I mention this because I once had the unpleasant experience of staying in Atlanta, GA for a week right next to Hartsfield-Jackson's runways. It was pure torture. If I'd had a SAM I'm sure I would have used it. Never again.

So does this mean that for people who value their sanity that the university district is not a good idea? How can anybody live there? How do students study there? Does everybody wear earplugs or what?
In 1942 when an airport was first established on that site it was way out in the open desert. When I came here in 1964 it was still out in the desert, and there was a rotunda that branched off into two terminals. You could park right in front of the place. Obviously both the city and the terminal have grown, but it doesn't bother too many people where it is. There is no good reason to live near the airport in a city this size yet some people choose to. Once again, those who built next to Nellis AFB then complained about the noise should be put away someplace where they can't hurt themselves. McCarran International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are under no obligation to come here, but if you insist on it, then find out something about the town before you complain about it. We didn't build it yesterday just for you newbies. You'll find Las Vegas has an interesting history and there is a reason for everything. By the way, you wouldn't want to live near UNLV for more reasons than planes fly over it on windy days. The Story of Classic Las Vegas

Old 12-18-2011, 10:12 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
In 1942 when an airport was first established on that site it was way out in the open desert. When I came here in 1964 it was still out in the desert, and there was a rotunda that branched off into two terminals. You could park right in front of the place. Obviously both the city and the terminal have grown, but it doesn't bother too many people where it is. There is no good reason to live near the airport in a city this size yet some people choose to. Once again, those who built next to Nellis AFB then complained about the noise should be put away someplace where they can't hurt themselves. McCarran International Airport - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You are under no obligation to come here, but if you insist on it, then find out something about the town before you complain about it. We didn't build it yesterday just for you newbies. You'll find Las Vegas has an interesting history and there is a reason for everything. By the way, you wouldn't want to live near UNLV for more reasons than planes fly over it on windy days. The Story of Classic Las Vegas
The same can be said for the pig farm. The Airport, AF Base and the Pig Farm were once way out in the open desert. Then people decided to build up next to them. Maybe soon, if the population expands, people will be living right around Lake Mead and Hoover Dam.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:21 PM

222 posts, read 385,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
This.

99 times out of 100, when you see an airport (any airport) in the middle of a major metropolitan area, the airport was there first and the "surroundings" came later.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:51 PM

719 posts, read 1,479,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
By the way, you wouldn't want to live near UNLV for more reasons than planes fly over it on windy days. The Story of Classic Las Vegas

Oh boy is that the truth! When we stayed on Flamingo and Swenson, the planes went overhead all day and night, but you actually get used to it and tune it out. The other issues in that area? Not so easy to do.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:32 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSarah View Post
Oh boy is that the truth! When we stayed on Flamingo and Swenson, the planes went overhead all day and night, but you actually get used to it and tune it out. The other issues in that area? Not so easy to do.
Flamingo and Maryland Parkway where some people I know live, they have a huge 2 bedroom apt for $525 a month, all utilities. Great deal, until I was outside one day when a plane was taking off right over the building. I almost had a heart attack, that thing was low! And loud!
I asked them how often it happens, they said, all day, all night.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:26 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,807,414 times
Having lived in a small city with the largest SAC base on the east coast (now closed) the noise of the military planes became part of the back round noise of every day living. We did not even bother looking up to see them. That was money in the sky for our community. I am sure it is the same for Las Vegas. If they shut down Nellis how much of a impact would that be on the economy. The commercial airport fits in the same thing more planes more money being pumped into the local economy. I agree cities that having airports way out of the way are a pain to travel to. Pittsburgh PA. is one it is 19 miles from the city. The trade off in Las Vegas is airplane noise vs $$$$. You do have a choice of not living near the airports? But I am sure plane noise is heard most everywhere. They got to fly somewhere to land and take off. You just have to acclimate to the noise just like the hot weather neither is going away. Good luck adjusting I am sure you will and the other great features in Las Vegas out number any of the negatives.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:29 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,810,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Obviously they were thinking that it would be convenient for the tourists to have the airport in proximity to the Strip.

Yep - and it is convenient.

Lest we forget, the first airfield in the area was on what is now Sahara Ave - right about where the McDonald’s is across the street from the Sahara.

Bill

Old 12-19-2011, 05:47 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,635,627 times
I *LOVE* *LOVE* *LOVE* *LOVE* *LOVE* The fact that the airport is so close, 15 mins, and your at your terminal!! - In Brooklyn, "my" Airport is '15 minutes' from my house (JFK), takes me 1.5 hrs from my house to my terminal..

Jonathan

Old 12-19-2011, 06:29 AM

228 posts, read 718,547 times
It doesn't bother me at all. I love airplane noise, I'm used to it since I work at a airport all day anyway. Plus, better the airport is close to the action, then to have tourists drive 10 miles to the hotel.

Just remember, most if not all major airports in America were built back in the 1940's for the military, then after the war they turned them into international airports. They never intended them to be near cities, cities just happened to grow around the airports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas