Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 12:44 PM

152 posts, read 377,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelflessGene View Post
Well, not exactly: "Henderson, Nev., takes the No. 2 spot despite its location within the Metropolitan Statistical Area of Las Vegas-Paradise, which ranked ninth this year on Forbes’ list of America’s Most Dangerous Cities."
It is a statistical quirk. Same problem Nevada has. The Vegas MSA consists of one city and virtually nothing else. Virtually all other MSAs have a selection of cities and suburbs and rural areas.

When they do Nevada you get one big city. one small city and virtually nothing else. Nevada is the third most urban state behind NY and CA. That is based on the percentage of the population in an urban environment.

You need to compare Las Vegas to other similar urban areas. And neither cities nor MSAs work very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 12:55 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by repru View Post
It is a statistical quirk. Same problem Nevada has. The Vegas MSA consists of one city and virtually nothing else. Virtually all other MSAs have a selection of cities and suburbs and rural areas.

When they do Nevada you get one big city. one small city and virtually nothing else. Nevada is the third most urban state behind NY and CA. That is based on the percentage of the population in an urban environment.

You need to compare Las Vegas to other similar urban areas. And neither cities nor MSAs work very well.
You're right. Doesn't our MSA even incldue Kingman, AZ, 100 miles away with nothing to speak of in between?

I sometimes wonder if these people making lists ever visit the areas they are claiming they know all about.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by repru View Post
Henderson has been high on these lists for 10 years or more.

Actually Summerlin is almost certainly higher...but you can't get the statistics.

To be honest Green Valley Ranch is probably higher than Summerlin. But you can't get that staatistic either.
The north half of Summerlin is in the City of Las Vegas, and Green Valley is in the City of Henderson. Both are just planned communities ...neighborhoods so to speak. The south half of Summerlin is in the county and I imagine the Las Vegas City Council would love to annex it. I've always thought the entire Valley should be incorporated into one government entity. Might be cheaper to run one city rather than three cities and the unincorporated townships that fall under the county commission purview.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelflessGene View Post
Well, not exactly: "Henderson, Nev., takes the No. 2 spot despite its location within the Metropolitan Statistical Area of Las Vegas-Paradise, which ranked ninth this year on Forbes’ list of America’s Most Dangerous Cities."

I haven't read it nor do I care, but it sounds like they count Henderson alone as a city, but they add the County area of Paradise Township into the City of Las Vegas stats. They probably include other county areas in "Las Vegas'" stats too. I doubt those people have a clue about how it works here as far as government entities, or what area is where, and how it affects us overall. Las Vegas, Henderson, North Las Vegas, and several townships under county rule are what we refer to as Las Vegas, and unless you live here you can't really tell which is which when you're out driving around town. To be fair with those surveys they can't even go by zip codes. You'd have to just block out different areas, which is what locals on this forum try to do when giving advice to newbies.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:16 PM

152 posts, read 377,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
The north half of Summerlin is in the City of Las Vegas, and Green Valley is in the City of Henderson. Both are just planned communities ...neighborhoods so to speak. The south half of Summerlin is in the county and I imagine the Las Vegas City Council would love to annex it. I've always thought the entire Valley should be incorporated into one government entity. Might be cheaper to run one city rather than three cities and the unincorporated townships that fall under the county commission purview.
Actually Green Vally and Green Valley Ranch are different master plans.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:34 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
I avoid Henderson like the plague, especially after that incident last summer, walking my ferret late one night at Pecos/Legacy Park and I had my first confrontation with some very mean cops from the Henderson Police force.

I have been "caught" walking my ferret, late at night (parks close at 10pm, yeah! yeah! yeah! but I'm a nightshift worker!) in the parks in Las Vegas and I never faced such terror with the police in Las Vegas as I did in Henderson.

I'm surprised they didn't throw me in jail! An experience I'll never forget!

I've talked with others about the wicked police force in Henderson, and I don't stand alone in my opinions and my aversion to Henderson. If that's the price you pay for having such a safe city, you can have it!

Old 12-21-2011, 09:36 AM

291 posts, read 452,259 times
Default Ferrets And Other Animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If that's the price you pay for having such a safe city, you can have it!
Point well taken.

I live in a place here in Florida where the cops have gone gonzo in their attempts to put on a big display of "protecting the public". What it really comes down to is that being county employees they're scared s**tless of losing their jobs along with so many others. The sheriff is scared s**tless of having his $1M budget cut. They're doing their best to get everybody pumped up with fear and organized into "neighborhood crime watch" groups that are really just vigilante gangs. Everybody is spying and snitching on their neighbors just like in the days of the communist GDP. We have a constant air armada of helos and planes buzzing our homes at tree-top level. I guess that's supposed to impress us with their benevolent concern for our well-being. In fact, it just scares little kids and makes them cry.

Their latest craze is putting GPS tracking devices on the cars of anybody exhibiting anti-social tendencies (or maybe they just pick names out of the phone book). They have an alert system where they track your car as it enters different neighborhoods and sends automatic text messages to subscribers in that hood. When the vigilantes get the messages they hop in their cars and race to any site where the car stops for more than a few minutes so they can then report any "suspicious behavior" (such as buying groceries) back to gestapo headquarters. None of this requires that the target of such harassment be a convicted criminal or registered sex offender. They don't need a warrent to slap that little GPS bug under your car and, if you've got one, it's illegal to remove or jam it. Big brother is alive and well in Post-9/11 Maximum-Security America.

There are three groups of crazies that you have to protect yourself against these days: criminals, cops and brain-washed neighbors. You have to take them all into account when chosing a place to live.

Which brings me to a question I've been dying to ask (but didn't want to "arouse suspicion" by starting a thread): How are the cops in Las Vegas proper? Are they as overzealous as the ones in Henderson appear to be?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:34 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I avoid Henderson like the plague, especially after that incident last summer, walking my ferret late one night at Pecos/Legacy Park and I had my first confrontation with some very mean cops from the Henderson Police force.

I have been "caught" walking my ferret, late at night (parks close at 10pm, yeah! yeah! yeah! but I'm a nightshift worker!) in the parks in Las Vegas and I never faced such terror with the police in Las Vegas as I did in Henderson.

I'm surprised they didn't throw me in jail! An experience I'll never forget!

I've talked with others about the wicked police force in Henderson, and I don't stand alone in my opinions and my aversion to Henderson. If that's the price you pay for having such a safe city, you can have it!
Your post is like complaining about going 100 in a 65 and getting pulled over. That said I've never had any issues with police in any of the areas I've lived. A lot of has to do with your attitude. Even the cops in Huntington Beach, CA which are known for beating the crap out of you for just looking at them wrong have been cool in any interactions I've had with them.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:55 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times
I have lived here for 50 years and have NEVER had a problem with the LV Police....EVEN the motorcycle cops....I recently got a ticket....first one in 20 years....speeding in a school zone.....MY fault entirely, I was preoccupied....anyway....motor cop....totally courteous and professional....and yes it's still gonna cost me $300 but....I did it so........

Old 12-21-2011, 02:54 PM

291 posts, read 452,259 times
Default Blame The Victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrofish View Post
Your post is like complaining about going 100 in a 65 and getting pulled over. That said I've never had any issues with police in any of the areas I've lived. A lot of has to do with your attitude. Even the cops in Huntington Beach, CA which are known for beating the crap out of you for just looking at them wrong have been cool in any interactions I've had with them.
Got that tijlover? It's your bad attitude that's to blame. Your ferret probably also has a bad attitude. (Cops can tell when a ferret has a bad attitude.) If only you were as cool under pressure as aggrofish you would have had those thugs eating out of the palm of your hand.

And don't forget, walking in a park at night is just like endangering other people's lives by going 100 mph on the highway. Especially when accompanied by rabid killer ferrets.

Police misconduct is a serious issue. Currently it is at epidemic proportions in this country. I for one am as glad to know about potential police misconduct as I am about potential criminal activity in any area I'm considering moving to.

Thanks for your post regarding Henderson. It has the ring of truth to it.

Last edited by SelflessGene; 12-21-2011 at 03:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas