Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 01:50 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post

Here are more cars that I would suggest which might have more bang for your buck value.

Ford Focus- Very good car with decent gas mileage. The Duratec engines in these cars also give it more power than your average compact car.

Ford Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/ - These cars are great and very durable. They will go 300,000 miles no problem (such as police cars, taxis and limos). The downside is its size, body on frame and gas mileage of the 4.6 V8 is not stellar.

90's-2000's Saturn S series cars with the DOHC engines are pretty good cars and are cheap to buy. I know they are ugly but take a look around and you see a lot of them running around town.
You lost me right here... being in the business for so long, i have to 100% disagree on the cars above...

Focus' are the cheapest p.o.s you will find.. You will run through wheel bearings and transmissions like there is no tomorrow... I never could figure out how, but also have a set of side mirrors available.. they would routinely fall off... You should be able to pick up a 2000 focus pos for around a grand.

Crown Vics good solid cars but for city driving, the gas mpg will not be good and you will be spending money on gas

Saturns - red blinking radiator light... they are NOTORIOUS for headgaskets and transmissions.. cheaper to fix.. body work is a sinch, every thing is plastic except hood and trunk and screws on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 03:01 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,709,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
You lost me right here... being in the business for so long, i have to 100% disagree on the cars above...

Focus' are the cheapest p.o.s you will find.. You will run through wheel bearings and transmissions like there is no tomorrow... I never could figure out how, but also have a set of side mirrors available.. they would routinely fall off... You should be able to pick up a 2000 focus pos for around a grand.

Crown Vics good solid cars but for city driving, the gas mpg will not be good and you will be spending money on gas

Saturns - red blinking radiator light... they are NOTORIOUS for headgaskets and transmissions.. cheaper to fix.. body work is a sinch, every thing is plastic except hood and trunk and screws on...
Although I gave 4 great cars in my other post, these 3 cars that can be had cheap and can give you good value if you are carefull. Focus is cheap, but if you get one with a Duratec engine they are pretty good. Crown Vics are also bulletproof but I did mention the gas mileage and some people who do not drive a lot of miles will like this car. My aunt has a 2002 Grand Marquis and she loves it, but she only drives short distances and does not commute. As for S-series saturns, if you stick with the DOHC motor instead of the headgasket blowing SOHC you should be fine. There are a lot of them on the road and they are cheap to fix. I know your in the auto biz, but I have a good friend that has a auto repair shop and this info that I am giving is coming from out conversations about good used cars. By no means do I say I'm an expert in this subject but this is just my own experiences with used cars. If it were up to me, I would stick with a Toyota Tacoma or Corolla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas