Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 12:20 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,982 times

Advertisements

A gas fireplace came with this house, no one knows how to operate it
(yea, I know, turn on the gas, stick a lit match in it, Instant fire)

There is a vent - should it be open or closed?
There is some lever that says "open" is it a heat control?

It's pretty ineffective at heating the living room, so I added some 12V fans
to increase air flow, anyone do this?

I notice a black 'soot' on the fake logs, is that bad?

any comments?
anyone? anyone?
buller? buller?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 12:38 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
First of all the vent should always be open.

I have a gas fireplace. It has the standard gas control valve which is always on. Then all we have to do is flip the switch on the wall and it comes on. It looks like a light switch next to the fireplace.

There is no soot on the gas logs, but the glass in front is getting foggy. I need to remove it and clean it up.

Maybe somebody burned real wood on top of your fake logs. That's a no-no. I hope if they did, it didn't leave any resin in the flue. Might catch fire. Better stick you head in there and look if you can.

We've thought about adding the fan but never got a round tuit.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:03 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
I have black "soot" on the fake logs as well -- carbonized dust.

Like most people, our fireplace is just for show. It doesn't throw out any heat at all. I turn it on for Christmas, and that's it. The rest of the time, the gas is shut off and I shove a towel up the flue to cut down on the draft. (I leave enough towel dangling to remind me to remove it when I light the fire for the annual "check to see if the damned thing is still working" event.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:28 AM

487 posts, read 747,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
First of all the vent should always be open.

I have a gas fireplace. It has the standard gas control valve which is always on. Then all we have to do is flip the switch on the wall and it comes on. It looks like a light switch next to the fireplace.

There is no soot on the gas logs, but the glass in front is getting foggy. I need to remove it and clean it up.

Maybe somebody burned real wood on top of your fake logs. That's a no-no. I hope if they did, it didn't leave any resin in the flue. Might catch fire. Better stick you head in there and look if you can.

We've thought about adding the fan but never got a round tuit.
I think I have exactly the same type of gas fire as you have described. Do you know if you can add a fan to that fire and how much it could cost? It definitely doesn't throw out as much heat as one I had in a previous home that did have a fan. Thanks

Old 01-06-2012, 08:02 AM

687 posts, read 4,405,373 times
The vent MUST be open when you run it, carbon monoxide is the silent killer.

I found that using the gas log ran the bill up quite a bit, so I removed them and burn real wood instead. Dont everybody freak out, the house was built in 87, it's a real fireplace.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:41 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger08 View Post
The vent MUST be open when you run it, carbon monoxide is the silent killer.

I found that using the gas log ran the bill up quite a bit, so I removed them and burn real wood instead. Dont everybody freak out, the house was built in 87, it's a real fireplace.
Whew. Eyes afraad u'd burn da cabin down Lukie.

You should be grandfathered in for burning wood. The rest of us would pay a fine...and burn the house down, since gas fireplaces ain't got no reel chimnee.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:54 AM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
A gas fireplace came with this house, no one knows how to operate it
(yea, I know, turn on the gas, stick a lit match in it, Instant fire)

There is a vent - should it be open or closed?
There is some lever that says "open" is it a heat control?

It's pretty ineffective at heating the living room, so I added some 12V fans
to increase air flow, anyone do this?

I notice a black 'soot' on the fake logs, is that bad?

any comments?
anyone? anyone?
buller? buller?
The gas fireplace I have is just for show, not real heat. Plan on taking out the logs and putting in a very small gas infrared heater. Doesn't need a vent so I can keep the existing vent closed. It's close to 100% efficient.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:00 AM

106 posts, read 363,903 times
So, lets re-cap:

It seems what the OP has is a "show" fireplace (not for heat, but for show).

You don't know how to operate it?

Ok, on the wall near the fireplace there is a silver looking dial and possibly a tool that comes with it (if not you might have to go to Home Depot to buy it). Basically you turn that dial with the tool (you are opening the gas line to the fireplace).
Then, there's a switch (like a light switch) that is on the wall to actually turn on the fireplace).
But I suspect the gas line is off, so you turn it on, then you actually have to turn on the fireplace pilot light...then it will work. Get a match and strike it, thus turning on the fireplace.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:17 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump View Post
So, lets re-cap:

But I suspect the gas line is off, so you turn it on, then you actually have to turn on the fireplace pilot light...then it will work. Get a match and strike it, thus turning on the fireplace.
Mine won't light unless I go through a Rube Goldbergesque series of tasks to get the pilot light on and KEEP it on. Lighting a match won't do it with my vanity fireplace. So keep that in mind, if you're having trouble.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:50 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,982 times
Yea, It's basically a trophy fireplace (big logs baby)
But the tightwad jew in me, wants to MAXIMIZE the efficiency of it
and actually get some useful heat out of it.

I compromised and close the vent halfway, and added a carbon monoxide detector in the room as well, as a safety.

They have these tube mounts that you use instead of the metal grill
that the fake logs sit on, and they add heat as well.

Since my fireplace was also this Rube Goldberg procedure of turning on the gas (with a old skate type key) then opening the glass door,
pulling the chainmail screen apart, sticking the LIT match into the right corner of the log, and hoping the puff doesn't singe your hair

I added a BBQ (push a button to make a spark) lighter
a lot safer and easier

Thanks for all the advice

Jonathan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas