Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 10:16 PM

3 posts, read 22,497 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Las Vegas next month and my vehicles registration is expired. My question is should I renew it here in California or leave it expired til I register it in Nevada? I don't know how to keep this affordable. thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 10:25 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
if its expired you have to register it immediately....if its not you have 30 days.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:35 PM

3 posts, read 22,497 times
would i have to pay the penalty fees from california?

Old 01-06-2012, 10:41 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
First, review the New Resident Guide from the Nevada DMV.

Then, get insurance in NV. This MUST be done before you can register the car. The insurance companies submit your information electronically, so the DMV will know ahead of time whether or not you have insurance from a NV insurer.

Once the insurance is lined up, get a CVC §4002 one day movement permit, for the day you're leaving the state.

Your movement permit should be considered a valid registration in Nevada, but it's only good for one day. Unless you can leave CA, get your car smogged in NV and get to a NV DMV to get everything squared away in the same day, you're also going to need a movement permit in NV. Be smart and leave the car at home if you need to go to the DMV to get one. You can also use a 3rd party DMV service - there's a bunch of them around town. Google can help you find one.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:46 AM

50 posts, read 85,175 times
I have gotten 1-day, 10-day and 30-day movement permits in NV for different reasons. You will likely qualify for a 10-day permit as your move and all the ensuing business will not be completed in one day. NV issues a special permit allowing for out of state movement as well as the more standard variety that is for in-state use only, so be sure to obtain the correct permit. There will be no charge for the permit but as the poster indicated, obtaining NV insurance first is a must. The DMV employees here are remarkably accommodating if you are nice and have a good story.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:09 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,961,171 times
It's probably a good idea to get it done in Calif. and then take care of what you have to in Vegas because of the potential tickets and fines if caught not to mention the option of having the car impounded..

Old 01-07-2012, 10:05 AM

2,180 posts, read 4,536,191 times
if you reg in cali first, you're gonna be paying two sets of fees.
either way there are penalties... minimize those and wait until you get here to reg.

when they ask if you have been driving it say you trailered the vehicle

Old 01-07-2012, 10:28 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
or brought it over in your baggage and reassembled it here ....either way....it's cheaper to register here when you come in....but do it the VERY first day.....or...ZAPPPPPPP

Old 01-07-2012, 02:20 PM

50 posts, read 85,175 times
IIRC CA DMV "sells" temporary movement permits (good for three days, about $20?). You might call your local LV insurer to see what they can do/how they can help you move the car here while being fully insured w/o incurring the full cost of a wasted registration in CA.

Old 01-08-2012, 07:20 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyroxmysocks View Post
I am moving to Las Vegas next month and my vehicles registration is expired. My question is should I renew it here in California or leave it expired til I register it in Nevada? I don't know how to keep this affordable. thank you in advance
You should register here in Nevada but do so as soon as you get here because you will be caught. My advice would be to come into town after dark, park where you live and at 9AM get on the phone or on line and buy mandatory insurance first before you even move the car. That will be transmitted electronically to the police. Then get to the DMV and get a movement permit for emissions testing. Don't try to get the emissions test with out one, they will not do it. If you want to risk driving to the DMV you can but it might be better to leave the car parked and get a cab. With the movement permit, you can now legally proceed to an emissions test place and get the car tested. Assuming you passed, you can now go back to DMV and register the vehicle legally for tags. Also, while you are expired, stay away from Boulder City. They have those automatic tag readers and cops with nothing better to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: