Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 02:31 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,663 times

Advertisements

Bring both and park one if money is that tight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 03:14 PM

625 posts, read 797,129 times
Appreciate all the responses. My vehicle has the "check engine" light on for awhile now. Its specifically on because of the emissions so I know it wont pass any smog test.

Alabama doesnt require the smog test, so i feel like I wouldnt get down the road and back in Las Vegas without getting pulled over and caught. Its an old beatup '99 Camry. More hassle with all the fees to register and such. I guess once we both find jobs Ill look into an old inexpensive Honda in Las Vegas.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:51 PM

421 posts, read 898,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
What he said, and keep in mind that if you get a job that is ten miles north and she gets one ten miles south, one car won't be enough. And if the one car breaks down you'll be out of luck. Since my wife started working from home we don't drive that much now, but we are still afraid to live with just one car in Las Vegas.

And I don't think there is anyway around paying utility deposits ...water, gas, electricity, and phone. Not sure about Cox Cable, but you'll probably need one there too. Of course the best thing there is to bundle phone, internet, and cable TV.
Buzz, I think that it depends on their credit. I just had all of my utilities transferred to us (and then of course close of escrow was delayed) and didn't have to put a deposit on anything, Denise

Old 01-15-2012, 05:22 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps401 View Post
Appreciate all the responses. My vehicle has the "check engine" light on for awhile now. Its specifically on because of the emissions so I know it wont pass any smog test.

Alabama doesnt require the smog test, so i feel like I wouldnt get down the road and back in Las Vegas without getting pulled over and caught. Its an old beatup '99 Camry. More hassle with all the fees to register and such. I guess once we both find jobs Ill look into an old inexpensive Honda in Las Vegas.
I would still bring it. Being that its a tourist mecca, there are plates from all 50 states (including Hawaii due to some of the Air Force people) and Canadian provinces and having Alabama plates wont raise and eye at all. Bring it for the convenience for the first few months then sell if you dont need it.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:29 PM

625 posts, read 797,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
I would still bring it. Being that its a tourist mecca, there are plates from all 50 states (including Hawaii due to some of the Air Force people) and Canadian provinces and having Alabama plates wont raise and eye at all. Bring it for the convenience for the first few months then sell if you dont need it.
Good point I think that's what ill do. Keep it as convenience for first few months. Thanks

Old 01-15-2012, 06:37 PM

328 posts, read 726,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I've never paid a deposit. And I didn't need any letters of credit, either. I think if your score is high enough, they skip the deposit.
That's not true. My husband and I both have good credit and we had to pay a deposit.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:47 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,991,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps401 View Post

no such thing as an inexpensive Honda here. buy on the east coast and bring it...

Old 01-15-2012, 11:12 PM

787 posts, read 1,776,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
no such thing as an inexpensive Honda here. buy on the east coast and bring it...
+1, though I've found that to be true everywhere. People are willing to pay a premium for older for Hondas (and Toyotas for that matter) due to their reliability reputation.

Anyways... To the OP: your moving budget is $10k? That should more than suffice. My then-fiancee and I moved from NJ last year for about $6k. And we rented a 26ft Penske that got ~8.5mpg (diesel), towing our Stratus, and we drove our Altima. The only util deposit I had to pay was ~$200 for NVenergy (and I have good credit). Car reg fees were about $80 each (our cars are 10yrs old).

Our biggest expenses were $550 total for appliances (used fridge, washer, dryer), and then a bunch for various furniture and other stuff that we went out and bought since we were moving from a NJ apartment to a decent sized house. Obviously those are pretty controllable (ie, optional) expenses, though.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:43 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollieW View Post
Buzz, I think that it depends on their credit. I just had all of my utilities transferred to us (and then of course close of escrow was delayed) and didn't have to put a deposit on anything, Denise
Same here. I didnt have to put anything down when I initially arrived. But I did pay transfer fees for certain utilities when I moved from my apartment to a house. I know COX was one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas