Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:06 AM

228 posts, read 718,625 times

Advertisements

I saw this article on MSN.com.

Since you all live in Vegas, where food is second to gambling. Do you agree or disagree with the writer? Do any of you eat out to save money?

Is eating out cheaper than cooking? - food prices - MSN Money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 11:17 AM

787 posts, read 1,776,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr00th View Post

Since you all live in Vegas, where food is second to gambling. Do you agree or disagree with the writer? Do any of you eat out to save money?

No, that article is poor. First off, people tend to eat "nicer" things out than when they cook at home, so it's not a direct comparison. Eating out is an indulgence. You shouldn't be comparing a full 10oz ribeye meal at Outback with the same meal at home, because most people wouldn't make that same meal at home very often.

Furthermore, the grocery store numbers they use are pretty stupid. Look at the Olive Garden meal - they say $1.99 for pasta. $1.99 is what the premium 16oz bags cost NOT on sale. An average serving of pasta is probably 5 or 6oz, and you can ALWAYS find some decent brand of pasta on special for about $1.00/16oz-bag. So that cost should really be 2/3 less or so.

And other thing. The articles says:
"Shopping and preparing meals takes time -- something people simply don't have these days. And if Americans do find a spare hour here or there, they're likely to dedicate it to work so they can earn a little extra income, writes Neil Dutta, an economist at Bank of America and co-author of the report."

That's BS. The average person does not enjoy direct optional 1:1 conversion of every incremental unit of their time. If you have a normal 9-5, you can't just decide to spend an extra hour working and get paid for an extra hour.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:07 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,535,965 times
yes... it is actually cheaper to eat out than to cook at home. It's been that way for years

Old 01-26-2012, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,331 times
Default I think that depends on....

How much you spend on groceries, how many people you cook for when you cook and how much one meal outing would costs you for that same number of people.

For me I am a single mom of 2 kids, we do not have the funds to dine out frequently. I cook regularly. We only dine out once a week and I would never dine out for foods that I could easily fix at home (like burgers and fries, pizza or sub sandwiches).

However, my landlord and his wife are seniors and retired and we go to their home once a week for sort of a family game night. They do not cook at home, they do not buy groceries. They do dine out as their sole source of eating and they feel they spend a lot less than when they purchased their own groceries and prepared the meals themselves. They keep snacks in the home, like chips and cookies as well as beverages (like sodas and bottled water) but that's it. (yes, I have to bring the meal when we visit, lol)

As seniors, though, they usually qualify for the senior discount and they always look for an early bird special or two-for-one specials. They read the newspaper daily and also will drive to other parts of town to take advantage of a promotion. I have questioned them often as to how they can afford to dine out so much, but in truth they have shown me their debit card statements, they average less than two hundred and fifty dollars a month for their food costs and a whole lot less time on food preparation.

That's roughly what I spend on groceries per month and I spend a lot more time in the kitchen, I am actually rather jealous...I can't wait to turn 50 so I can take advantage of the senior discounts, lol. My kids will be well out of the home by then, lol.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:10 PM

762 posts, read 1,561,864 times
I can work any time I want to make extra money. I refuse to work 40+ hours per week.
I don't eat out especially not pasta, easy to cook with just few ingredients and I know I washed my hands before I tore the basil.
I think BofA wants us all to work more, to spend more, to work more to spend more. Not me
Best book I ever bought (2nd hand) is Your Money or Your Life

Old 01-26-2012, 12:39 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,714,615 times
Alaskan crashing a thread again.....

Yes, there are times when it would have been cheaper or the same price to eat out then it was to make that same meal at home.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:38 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,988,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robustus View Post
No, that article is poor. First off, people tend to eat "nicer" things out than when they cook at home, so it's not a direct comparison.
Speak for yourself. I get sick of cooking the same ol' at work. When I cook at home, I really bring it.

That being said, groceries in Las Vegas are among the least expensive in the country. Anyone who's spending less to eat out is doing something wrong.

Last edited by ScoopLV; 01-26-2012 at 02:00 PM..

Old 01-26-2012, 01:53 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,471,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr00th View Post

I noticed they didn't factor in tips to the waiter/waitress in their figures which would make the restaurant prices about the same as eating at home. That's if those NYC restaurant prices are comparative to LV prices for those national chains.

And that article is quoting prices on store bought groceries that seem a bit high, compared to the same items I can get on sale at the various markets here in town.

For the quality of food I am used to, and the quantity of food I prepare, it's ALWAYS far more cheaper to cook at home for me.

Back in yesteryear, it WAS cheaper to eat out, especially the buffets (the decent ones) here in Vegas. Not so much anymore IMO

Last edited by MomMom; 01-26-2012 at 03:02 PM..

Old 01-26-2012, 02:19 PM

228 posts, read 718,625 times
Good replies so far.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:09 PM

542 posts, read 986,245 times
Being the broke, unemployed singe father that I am, I'm fairly certain that I can cook cheaper than I can eat out....I haven't done the actual math, but my wallet knows for sure. Even factoring in Propane for the grill, electricity, nat. gas for the stove...etc etc, I still think its cheaper to eat at home.

It all depends on how you shop. Meat is always in the discounted "expired" section. Fish at the asian markets. Frozen veggies are $1/bag....etc etc. I'm not a real "coupon clipper", but I do look for things on sale. When Smiths has chicken for $.99/lb, I get 4 or 5 packages and freeze them.

There are some things that are indeed cheaper to buy "out", like Pizza (I can't make a pizza for the $5 Ceasers gets for their ready-to-go pizzas), but I know that I can have steak, or lobster at home for MUCH cheaper than going to Outback/Applebees/Red Lobster. I did a Chinese Roast Duck the other night, and even though it was a frozen duck, it only cost me (I can't remember for sure) something like $12. Throw in some veggies, and rice, and the entire meal was ~$15....for 2 people...for 2 meals (Had enough for lunch the next day), NO WAY could I beat that going out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas