Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 07:36 AM

4 posts, read 5,112 times

Advertisements

The trouble is everyone with a computer and some art programs thinks they're a designer. There are a lot of bad "professionals" out there, too. Graphic designers are a dime a dozen, and it makes it really hard for the really talented ones. People think it's FUN. They don't consider deadlines, the correct use of color, image resolution, saturation, the importance of bleeds, gutters, safety margins (for print) - I could go on. And then with web there's a talent to optimizing images for quicker download time while making them look crisp, making sure your images are RGB (beginners will use CMYK and wonder why their images aren't appearing on the screen - oh - and the images are HUGE in size. I've seen some in the MBs!), not to mention streamlined coding and making an appealing site layout where people will actually want to stay on the site for a few minutes. As far as logos - many designers will make a logo that is bitmapped. Vector is really the best way to go for print. And then you have the people who want to list all the places they worked and went to school when the proof is in the pudding (no offense MSchu, I'm speaking in general). There are FABULOUS designers out there who never went to school for it, but they won't land a job where a 4-year degree is required. Sad, really, when school never prepares one for the real working world in the field. And then there is the consideration that because graphic design is deemed "fun" by all, customers want to make a zillion changes that require time to do, but they balk when it ends up being expensive. And yes, designing can be fun, but so can being a teacher (you make a difference in young people's lives when you're good at it), so can being a doctor (I don't know, call me crazy! But it would be fun to save someone's life, especially if they were an amazing, good-hearted individual), so can being a salesperson (Oh c'mon! Whenever I've worked with sales people they told me how they loved not sitting at a desk, loved meeting people, etc.) - the point is - ALL jobs can have a fun factor if you really love what you do, but they ALL have stress - including design. Oh my! Did I go off topic? Sorry for the tangent! Good luck with the logo Hotpa2d2!

Old 01-28-2012, 08:09 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,638,982 times
anyone with typestyler can make a logo, Its not the size of the monitor, but the magic in the mouse..

Jonathan

Old 01-28-2012, 09:13 AM

4 posts, read 5,112 times
As I said - everyone with a computer and some art programs thinks they're a designer. Even if someone doesn't have a lot of money to spend, it doesn't mean you should just bang it out in a push-button program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
Since This was someone asking for a logo, at little or no money, anyone with a inkling of talent could accommodate, I don't think the project was designing the next SONY logo.

Jonathan
And there you just told your client how unimportant they are.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:29 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
The OP seems to have had his question answered. If you want to discuss the general issues, there's a general forum for that. Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas