Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2012, 10:10 PM
 
1,018 posts, read 3,366,267 times
Reputation: 588

Advertisements

I visited last month, and on the news i saw it was like 14% unemployment. is it really that bad?

say for example a person who just wants to survive, and finds whatever job, such as a bagger/fast food place, etc... can they even find that if they ask around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2012, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,505 posts, read 6,453,854 times
Reputation: 4962
There are plenty of jobs here IF:
Your past is clean
You look presentable
You can speak well
you are willing to actually work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 10:20 PM
 
232 posts, read 494,370 times
Reputation: 104
Indeed, most of the unemployment is caused by non-working illegal immigrants. We need to send them all back south. Get a job or get out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 10:26 PM
 
1,018 posts, read 3,366,267 times
Reputation: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by frischee112 View Post
Indeed, most of the unemployment is caused by non-working illegal immigrants. We need to send them all back south. Get a job or get out!

if theyre illegal, how does it factor into the 14% unemployment rate? I thought those figures are for people with green cards and citizens..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2012, 10:52 PM
 
Location: Sunrise
10,865 posts, read 16,920,499 times
Reputation: 9084
The unemployment rate, officially, is 12-13%. That number is off due to people who have given up trying to find a job. The real rate is probably closer to 16%.

Of those, most of them are skilled tradesmen and tradeswomen in the construction field, which has essentially dried up.

Cooks, blackjack dealers, slot techs, retail workers and similar are easily able to find a job -- if they have the skills and a clean background. Las Vegas employers perform stringent background checks on prospective employees. For this reason, undocumented immigrants aren't NEARLY as big a drain on employment as elsewhere. They gravitate to domestic help, landscaping, hanging out in the Home Depot parking lot, etc.

(However, the undocumented relatives and similar are a massive drain on our healthcare system. If they have so much as a sniffle, it's off to UMC to get emergency-room treatment for what should be a health clinic problem. But that's a political problem more than anything.)

Executive summery -- if someone with a clean background has the skills that Las Vegas employers want, finding a job is no big deal. The more specialized a person is, the less likely it is to find a job in one's field. Tech fields, construction and skilled labor (like, say, a diesel mechanic) are the toughest to get -- too many applicants for too few positions.

The person who says, "I do construction framing. That's all I do. And that's all I'm interested in doing," that's the person who isn't finding work. The person who says, "Well, there aren't any construction jobs. I think I'll go to CSN and learn how to cook/deal roulette/become an EMT" -- they'll do fine.

The chronically unemployed in Las Vegas should try their hand at slot tech. It pays well, and there are LOADS of jobs available in that field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 12:20 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
542 posts, read 982,108 times
Reputation: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
The unemployment rate, officially, is 12-13%. That number is off due to people who have given up trying to find a job. The real rate is probably closer to 16%.

Of those, most of them are skilled tradesmen and tradeswomen in the construction field, which has essentially dried up.

Cooks, blackjack dealers, slot techs, retail workers and similar are easily able to find a job -- if they have the skills and a clean background. Las Vegas employers perform stringent background checks on prospective employees. For this reason, undocumented immigrants aren't NEARLY as big a drain on employment as elsewhere. They gravitate to domestic help, landscaping, hanging out in the Home Depot parking lot, etc.

(However, the undocumented relatives and similar are a massive drain on our healthcare system. If they have so much as a sniffle, it's off to UMC to get emergency-room treatment for what should be a health clinic problem. But that's a political problem more than anything.)

Executive summery -- if someone with a clean background has the skills that Las Vegas employers want, finding a job is no big deal. The more specialized a person is, the less likely it is to find a job in one's field. Tech fields, construction and skilled labor (like, say, a diesel mechanic) are the toughest to get -- too many applicants for too few positions.

The person who says, "I do construction framing. That's all I do. And that's all I'm interested in doing," that's the person who isn't finding work. The person who says, "Well, there aren't any construction jobs. I think I'll go to CSN and learn how to cook/deal roulette/become an EMT" -- they'll do fine.

The chronically unemployed in Las Vegas should try their hand at slot tech. It pays well, and there are LOADS of jobs available in that field.
I'm interested in learning to be a Slot Tech as well. Google isn't much help for finding the schools around Vegas that teach that sort of thing.

Anyone have any info?




I'm one of the many unemployed construction workers. I'm a crane operator by trade, but I have many skills, and could work in other fields. Another problem is, because there are so many people out of work, the wages are excruciatingly low. Unemployment pays more than a lot of these jobs. Its not hard to see why a lot of people just stay on unemployment. I am 100% sober, have zero criminal record (Not even a speeding ticket), and I still get picked over for jobs I apply for.

The last job I had in Vegas was at Echelon...nearly 4 years ago. For the past 3 years, I traveled around to other states for work. I did pretty well with that, but its also part of the reason my marriage ended. Now I can't travel because I am a single parent.

Maybe a bitter little rant mixed in there.....but not every one of us just sits at home, watching tv, collecting an unemployment check. Low wages, thousands of people applying for the same jobs, craigslist scams (Job postings for which there really is no job), the price of gas to tour the city handing out applications, when not even having the money to eat.... The attitude of "Those people are just lazy and don't want to work" is an absurd attitude to have, when you really have no idea what is going on, or what its like to have your entire industry pushed aside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 12:37 AM
 
1,018 posts, read 3,366,267 times
Reputation: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by m73m95 View Post
I'm interested in learning to be a Slot Tech as well. Google isn't much help for finding the schools around Vegas that teach that sort of thing.

Anyone have any info?




I'm one of the many unemployed construction workers. I'm a crane operator by trade, but I have many skills, and could work in other fields. Another problem is, because there are so many people out of work, the wages are excruciatingly low. Unemployment pays more than a lot of these jobs. Its not hard to see why a lot of people just stay on unemployment. I am 100% sober, have zero criminal record (Not even a speeding ticket), and I still get picked over for jobs I apply for.

The last job I had in Vegas was at Echelon...nearly 4 years ago. For the past 3 years, I traveled around to other states for work. I did pretty well with that, but its also part of the reason my marriage ended. Now I can't travel because I am a single parent.

Maybe a bitter little rant mixed in there.....but not every one of us just sits at home, watching tv, collecting an unemployment check. Low wages, thousands of people applying for the same jobs, craigslist scams (Job postings for which there really is no job), the price of gas to tour the city handing out applications, when not even having the money to eat.... The attitude of "Those people are just lazy and don't want to work" is an absurd attitude to have, when you really have no idea what is going on, or what its like to have your entire industry pushed aside.

Yes i understand.. I was on unemployment for 1.5 yrs, cant find anything so went back to school to finish up my BA that I stopped after getting my AA. now, 8 months after graduation, i still cant find anything. I even went to car shops, resturaunts, grocery stores to ask for any opening (i'm in seattle) with no luck. and seattle's economy is supposed to be way better than vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 12:45 AM
 
Location: Here and there, you decide.
12,908 posts, read 27,860,829 times
Reputation: 5050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
There are plenty of jobs here IF:
Your past is clean
You look presentable
You can speak well
you are willing to actually work.
agreed.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 12:49 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
73 posts, read 117,855 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
Yes i understand.. I was on unemployment for 1.5 yrs, cant find anything so went back to school to finish up my BA that I stopped after getting my AA. now, 8 months after graduation, i still cant find anything. I even went to car shops, resturaunts, grocery stores to ask for any opening (i'm in seattle) with no luck. and seattle's economy is supposed to be way better than vegas.
I'm in Seattle too and find jobs here easy. What is your background - maybe I can help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2012, 12:55 AM
 
Location: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ̡
7,112 posts, read 13,108,098 times
Reputation: 3895
Interesting article about slot techs. Couple years old but still relevant for today.

reviewjournal.com -- Employment: Slot Tech

I have two family members that are ST and they never complain about the actual work, just the hours and the travel they have to put in. One has even traveled out the country for his job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top