Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 04:40 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmHB View Post
Hi, I am looking to visit Las Vegas this year with my sister but I am a little confused with the whole minimum age thing, specifically at the MGM Grand. Their website says that you need to be 21 to check in but I don't understand if that means that only the person booking the room needs to be that age or if everyone does.

As I am over that age would it be ok for my sister who is 16 to be there as long as she is with me?

Thanks.
This is just my opinion of course, but I wouldn't bother going to Las Vegas if you can't drink and can't gamble. It's kind of the raison d'etre for the place, if you know what I mean.

The rest of it, the scenery, the food, the shopping, you can get anywhere.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 04:43 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
This is just my opinion of course, but I wouldn't bother going to Las Vegas if you can't drink and can't gamble. It's kind of the raison d'etre for the place, if you know what I mean.

Not in England, of course. Which is why I think they're coming. A ticket from LGW to LAS is direct and inexpensive, making Las Vegas an idea choice for visitors from England.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:47 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,715,922 times
Quote:

20yrsinBranson

I thiink you are selling Las Vegas short. There is a lot to do in and around town plus a lot more sites to see that are just a "day trip" from there. Plus, like Snoop said, it's cheap to fly in and out of plus the car rentals and hotel rooms are cheap. Why Not come to Vegas?

Old 01-29-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Not in England, of course. Which is why I think they're coming. A ticket from LGW to LAS is direct and inexpensive, making Las Vegas an idea choice for visitors from England.
Of course not in England. I didn't to imply that it was. But you can see much the same scenery anywhere in the American Southwest that you can see in Vegas and you can go to *any* place in the United States and there will much the same shopping and food selections.

Myself personally, I'd pick Orlando over Las Vegas for things for young people to do that don't involve gambling.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-29-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I thiink you are selling Las Vegas short. There is a lot to do in and around town plus a lot more sites to see that are just a "day trip" from there. Plus, like Snoop said, it's cheap to fly in and out of plus the car rentals and hotel rooms are cheap. Why Not come to Vegas?
Oh don't misunderstand me, I LOVE Vegas. I'd go there in a heartbeat, but I don't advise it for young people, that's all.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-29-2012, 05:21 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
Default Pfffft!

Quote:

I don't drink or gamble...I love LV especially the strip...there's a ton of stuff to do here...even for a minor...
Where else in the world can you see so much different stuff in one place?

Yes other places may have similar shopping and dinning but definitely not presented in LV's unique way!

Old 01-29-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Of course not in England. I didn't to imply that it was. But you can see much the same scenery anywhere in the American Southwest that you can see in Vegas and you can go to *any* place in the United States and there will much the same shopping and food selections.

Myself personally, I'd pick Orlando over Las Vegas for things for young people to do that don't involve gambling.

20yrsinBranson

1) Ease of travel. It's a direct, comfortable and inexpensive flight from London to Las Vegas on Virgin Atlantic. Getting to Phoenix or Taos is difficult by comparison.

2) Orlando is a bug-filled, humid, flat little city, choked with tourists. How is that a good way to experience America?

3) Value. The pound goes a long way in Las Vegas, just as the dollar does. (Gambling notwithstanding.) A foreign visitor can see a very broad swath of everything America has to offer in a three-hour driving radius.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:41 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
1) Ease of travel. It's a direct, comfortable and inexpensive flight from London to Las Vegas on Virgin Atlantic. Getting to Phoenix or Taos is difficult by comparison.

2) Orlando is a bug-filled, humid, flat little city, choked with tourists. How is that a good way to experience America?

3) Value. The pound goes a long way in Las Vegas, just as the dollar does. (Gambling notwithstanding.) A foreign visitor can see a very broad swath of everything America has to offer in a three-hour driving radius.
super rep for 'ya but i gotta spread the love....

Old 01-29-2012, 09:15 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
Well if we're sending the to Burger stands, gotta send them to Inn-N-out over on Trop and Dean Martin.
While there are In-N-Out locations where the service better, there are fewer better for people watching than THAT location - especially on a weekend evening AFTER midnight.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
While there are In-N-Out locations where the service better, there are fewer better for people watching than THAT location - especially on a weekend evening AFTER midnight.
I'd love to love In-N-Out more. I like the fact that when you order fries (chips, for OP), they take a potato out of a crate and cut it in a press. That's good. At least they're not frozen julienne potatoes from a plastic sack.

But even though it's a fresh potato, In-N-Out (and the rest of our burger stands) don't make chips nearly as well as they do in England. The OP should avoid chips in America altogether. But then again, both England and the US should sit down with Belgium and learn how to do pomme frites correctly. Pomme frites get worse and worse as the distance from the Grand Place in Brussels increases.

(Bouchon is the only place in Las Vegas that makes decent pomme frites. But they're still nowhere near as good as any hole-in-the-wall in Brussels.)

My main problems with In-N-Out are: 1) The cheese. It's super freakin' nasty stuff. 2) The beef isn't even as good as Carl's Jr. It's more like Wendy's. Tommy's is about the same, but their chili makes it worth the effort.

When Fatburger is on, it's head and shoulders above In-N-Out. (But when it's a miss, it's a greasy mess.) I'm fairly confident the Fatburger on E. Sunset is the best burger stand in Las Vegas.

For a sit-down burger restaurant, I'd give the nod to Holstein's at the Cosmopolitan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas