Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,415,649 times

Advertisements

I would like to stop by my local home depot and pick up a handful of "day labor" workers to paint the inside of my 1900sqft house. Top to bottom, every room including a little bit of minor patching work where the previous owners mounted their TV etc.

I have never done anything like this before. Anyone know what I can expect to pay 3-4 guys to do the task?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 11:51 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,928,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
I would like to stop by my local home depot and pick up a handful of "day labor" workers to paint the inside of my 1900sqft house. Top to bottom, every room including a little bit of minor patching work where the previous owners mounted their TV etc.

I have never done anything like this before. Anyone know what I can expect to pay 3-4 guys to do the task?
I don't have an answer. (I won't hire those guys.) But I do have a warning: If any of them slips and falls or otherwise injures himself, you as the homeowner are on the hook for medical bills, injury lawsuits and similar. I wouldn't even think about this route unless I had a large personal liability policy in addition to my homeowners.

I think it's better to pay a little more and hire people through a temp agency.

1) They're legal US citizens or resident workers.
2) The temp agency carries Workman's Comp insurance.

Call one and find out. It's not like the vatos in front of Home Depot are going anywhere.

There's also the possibility of hiring a painting company, which carries the additional benefit of being licensed. You'll pay more, but at least now you're completely in the clear from a legal standpoint.

The final idea is to buy a paint sprayer and knock the job out yourself. A friend of mine and I painted our house, top to bottom, in less than two days.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:29 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,649,411 times
^This

Scoop, do you know the name of any of these temp places?

Old 02-03-2012, 07:13 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,456,533 times
Default What's wronjg with this country?

So rather than help legitimate businesses and workers you want to encourage law breakers coming into this country instead?

Old 02-03-2012, 07:22 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,612,567 times
Not to cast dispersions here, but the Mexican day workers have families, and children and all the expenses that us "white people" have as well. This is not about "stealing from the mouths of hard working american's" this is about having some work done on your house, and trying to save a few bucks.

I would rather have them paint my house, then being so desperate they need to rob it.

Jonathan

Old 02-03-2012, 08:45 AM

106 posts, read 363,139 times
I have heard that these guys work for $100 a day...per person

Old 02-03-2012, 09:25 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,765,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
Not to cast dispersions here, but the Mexican day workers have families, and children and all the expenses that us "white people" have as well. This is not about "stealing from the mouths of hard working american's" this is about having some work done on your house, and trying to save a few bucks.

I would rather have them paint my house, then being so desperate they need to rob it.

Jonathan

There are some that will paint then rob.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:51 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,612,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
There are some that will paint then rob.
And there are those who are Paid contractors, who hire workers, who case your house while they are painting it as well, Bad is bad.

Jonathan

Old 02-03-2012, 10:17 AM

207 posts, read 508,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
And there are those who are Paid contractors, who hire workers, who case your house while they are painting it as well, Bad is bad.

Jonathan
and legal is legal, and on and on....

to the OP, I was lucky enough to find a great handyman that does the work you're looking for professionally and reasonably. PM me if you'd like contact info.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:39 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,415,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I don't have an answer. (I won't hire those guys.) But I do have a warning: If any of them slips and falls or otherwise injures himself, you as the homeowner are on the hook for medical bills, injury lawsuits and similar. I wouldn't even think about this route unless I had a large personal liability policy in addition to my homeowners.
Noted

Quote:
I think it's better to pay a little more and hire people through a temp agency.

1) They're legal US citizens or resident workers.
2) The temp agency carries Workman's Comp insurance.

Call one and find out. It's not like the vatos in front of Home Depot are going anywhere.
Will look into this and see what the cost is.

Quote:
There's also the possibility of hiring a painting company, which carries the additional benefit of being licensed. You'll pay more, but at least now you're completely in the clear from a legal standpoint.
Pretty sure I am not going to fork out the bucks for that.

Quote:
The final idea is to buy a paint sprayer and knock the job out yourself. A friend of mine and I painted our house, top to bottom, in less than two days.
I have done this before also. It is the main reason I am looking to bring someone else it to do it this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas