U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 05:15 PM

20,529 posts, read 21,117,330 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of a decent (and not too expensive) math tutor? Pls DM if you do. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 07:17 PM

3,647 posts, read 5,234,111 times
What level of math?

Old 02-06-2012, 08:12 PM

625 posts, read 730,707 times
I love Math

Old 02-08-2012, 03:09 PM

17 posts, read 65,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Does anyone know of a decent (and not too expensive) math tutor? Pls DM if you do. Thanks!
I hope they DM me too. My daughter's weakest subject. Trying to possibly get some1 lined up for 2012-13 school year. My can ace all subjects except that one.

Last edited by observer53; 03-19-2012 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: fixed quote bracket

Old 02-08-2012, 03:57 PM

815 posts, read 1,938,440 times
'decent' and 'not too expensive' are mutually exclusive. <---- This first lesson is free.

high school and college level $80./hour

Old 02-08-2012, 08:57 PM

20,529 posts, read 21,117,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
'decent' and 'not too expensive' are mutually exclusive. <---- This first lesson is free.

high school and college level $80./hour
I disagree. I'm not looking for a rocket scientist - just need someone that knows what he needs to learn and can transfer that knowledge reasonably well.

Especially in this economy, I'm sure I can fine someone that can get the job done for much less than $80/hr. Not knocking your skill or knowledge, but I do think that it's a very high rate - even in a good economy.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:14 PM

625 posts, read 730,707 times
I'd be glad to do it $20/hr for anything up to Algebra 2/trig. However, I wont be around LV til the summer.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:16 PM

787 posts, read 1,681,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I disagree. I'm not looking for a rocket scientist - just need someone that knows what he needs to learn and can transfer that knowledge reasonably well.

Especially in this economy, I'm sure I can fine someone that can get the job done for much less than $80/hr. Not knocking your skill or knowledge, but I do think that it's a very high rate - even in a good economy.

My dad's a professional math tutor in the Northeast. For someone good, $80/hr is about right (though I'd think it would be cheaper in Vegas than around NYC). Your kid certainly does not need "a rocket scientist", but odds are your child could really benefit from someone who's going to do more than baby-sit them and answer questions while they do their homework.

There's a reason your child needs help with math; it can be many things, some easy to solve, some not. But a good tutor is going to get to the root of the problem no matter what and remediate appropriately, making darn sure that the kid really does understand the material as best as is possible for his particular learning style, and that he is working from a solid foundation that will help him continue to understand additional material as he progresses through school. An average or bad tutor will just make sure he gets the work done while he's sitting with them, and show him the mechanics of those particular problems. That is a short-term strategy.

Edit: Not saying you won't find someone good for a reasonable price - just that there's definitely a huge range in tutoring quality; you do have to select carefully to make sure you're not wasting your money.

Old 03-31-2012, 05:43 AM

65 posts, read 80,777 times
math makes my head hurt

Old 03-31-2012, 11:02 AM

13,044 posts, read 12,413,458 times
I'm not a professional educator, but I do know a think or two about math. (I'm fine with advanced math and physics. Anyone want to discuss Christoffel symbols or time curved manifolds?)

In tutoring my own daughter through middle school and high school math (math is her worst subject), I discovered she needed more examples for pattern recognition to set in.

Most math textbooks at that level follow a standard formula: introduce a concept, show 3 example problems worked out step by step, and then there are a bunch of problems from which the instructor assigned homework.

In my daughter's case, those 3 examples were not enough.

SO... I called the publisher of her textbook and found the "instructor's solutions guide" & ordered it. This guide works out EVERY problem in the homework and self-test sections, step by step (not just the answer). That way, after reviewing the 3 example problems, she would review many problems step-by-step in the solutions guide.

After another half-dozen examples, pattern recognition set in for her.

Perhaps this approach will work for those seeking math help. Step one is find the ISBN of the math textbook. Step two is use that to find the ISBN of the instructor's guide. Step three is find a used instructor's guide online if you can. If not, buy from the publisher. You may need to fax them a letter stating you are home-schooling your kid in order to get them to sell to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas