Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 13,097 times

Advertisements

I've narrowed my search to four or five properties, two in Queensridge, and two or three in Southern Highlands. I will only purchase in one of these two developments.

I'm curious which location you would choose? Other than choosing the property that best fits our style and needs, it's very important to have easy access to the strip. At least twice a month I will have business meetings with people staying on the strip, and friends coming in, that even if they stay with us will want to visit the strip often. Also, we go to the strip at least a couple of times a week for dinner, and shopping as well.

Another concern is the schools. We don't have kids yet, but for when we do, I want the environment that not only offers the best education, but many of the students come from fiscally solid families...

Last, I'm just getting in to golfing, and will be playing twice a week or so. Which community has the better course and club?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 12:20 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,961,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeHighTaxes View Post
I've narrowed my search to four or five properties, two in Queensridge, and two or three in Southern Highlands. I will only purchase in one of these two developments.
They both look like they were whacked with a clone stick. They're just higher-end versions of the rest of the valley. If you want a custom house, buy a custom house. Or buy a plot of land and have it built to your specifications.

Quote:
I'm curious which location you would choose? Other than choosing the property that best fits our style and needs, it's very important to have easy access to the strip. At least twice a month I will have business meetings with people staying on the strip, and friends coming in, that even if they stay with us will want to visit the strip often. Also, we go to the strip at least a couple of times a week for dinner, and shopping as well.
Southern Highlands will usually be quicker, because it's a short distance to I-15, and from there it's 5 minutes to the strip. But if I-15 is backed up like a log jam, then you're in for some frustration. Queensridge will be a dependable 20 minute drive to the strip. Either on the 95, or just by taking Charleston. Just that you'll drive through some rough areas on the way to the strip.

Quote:
Another concern is the schools. We don't have kids yet, but for when we do, I want the environment that not only offers the best education, but many of the students come from fiscally solid families...
Then move someplace with higher taxes and better schools. This city is known for low taxes and just about the worst schools in the country. Furthermore, we don't have a nearby Milton Academy or Trinity or Hotchkiss you can pack the kids off to in order to avoid the riff-raff.

Last edited by ScoopLV; 02-08-2012 at 12:42 PM..

Old 02-08-2012, 12:29 PM

3,728 posts, read 9,458,358 times
Quote:

Last, I'm just getting in to golfing, and will be playing twice a week or so. Which community has the better course and club?

I think Southern Highlands would fit your needs best, it is easier and faster access to the Strip although at times I-15 gets backed up.

My personal choice would be Queensridge, the area is mature and lush as far as landscaping goes (within Peccole Ranch) and there are tons of stores, shopping and eateries very close by.

Schools, well, honestly, unless you have enough dough to afford to send your future kids to private schools your theory of wanting the best education with many students coming from fiscally solid families don't hold no water anywhere in the Las Vegas valley.

The CCSD is among the worst rated school system in the country, your kids will get a standard education, but not the best, no bells no whistles. I've put many a kid through the school district with no problem, but let's be real, there are no schools in the valley that fit your criteria. lol. Only private schools where the parents have to pay for their kid's education would fit that description, the theory being that if the parents can afford the tuition, they must be "fiscally solid."

Golf courses? Queensridge is close to Angel Park, a very popular course, but you also got some courses close to Southern Highlands as well. Either community would fit your needs in that department.

Much luck in your decision!

Old 02-08-2012, 12:32 PM

Location: Undisclosed location in the American desert Southwest
188 posts, read 481,755 times
SH has easily the nicest golf club/course in the valley. Can you afford the membership costs there though? SH is so convenient to the 15 and the strip. The 15 is a breeze from Silverado ranch to Tropicana/Flamingo unless there is an accident. It will get much better once the 15 South project is finished and the Cactus overpass/interchange is constructed next year.

Queensridge will take easily twice the time to get to the strip and airport. No comparison at all.

Just wondering what your price range in houses are? Please disclose and I can advise you whether SH is a good fit for you.

The SH HOA is an absolute nightmare, don't mind what others on here tell you. If you'd like I can PM you some history on various incidents with this bureaucratic fiefdom. The lower end houses leave quite a bit to be disired but once you get in the 250-300 range and above I think there are some great properties.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 13,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaned View Post
SH has easily the nicest golf club/course in the valley. Can you afford the membership costs there though? SH is so convenient to the 15 and the strip. The 15 is a breeze from Silverado ranch to Tropicana/Flamingo unless there is an accident. It will get much better once the 15 South project is finished and the Cactus overpass/interchange is constructed next year.

Queensridge will take easily twice the time to get to the strip and airport. No comparison at all.

Just wondering what your price range in houses are? Please disclose and I can advise you whether SH is a good fit for you.

The SH HOA is an absolute nightmare, don't mind what others on here tell you. If you'd like I can PM you some history on various incidents with this bureaucratic fiefdom. The lower end houses leave quite a bit to be disired but once you get in the 250-300 range and above I think there are some great properties.
If I purchase in Southern Highlands, it will be right in the "Golf Estates" section. I could literally walk or golf cart to the club. Same with Queensridge, the properties I'm considering are within a short walk of each other. The price range is far more than the $250-$300K range.

I'm curious to hear about the Southern Highlands HOA nightmares. I've heard about the Floyd Mayweather issues in the neighborhood, but nothing else.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:54 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,251,250 times
I dont know anything about Southern Highlands But Queensridge is across the street from Peccole Ranch. From Queensridge to the strip you can get on the highway from Rampart, or take the 215 from W. Charleston or you can go down Sahara, Desert Inn, Spring Mountain etc. Basically you have a few ways you can get to the strip relatively quick from Queensridge. If you can afford private school put your kids in the Meadows. Las Vegas Day School and Challenger are options too.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:18 PM

Location: Undisclosed location in the American desert Southwest
188 posts, read 481,755 times
OK. If you are living in the estates then I think SH would be great. I actually belong to the club and it is in bit of transition with new owners. I'm not as familiar with Queensridge but would recommend the club at SH.

I'm not going to get into detail about the HOA but lets just say that I have owned a house in the estates since 2009 and they are a complete nightmare to deal with. They are the sole reason why I am considering moving out of the neighborhood. Many of my neighbors and clubmates feel the same way. For this reason I cannot recommend any of my friends or family move there. I don't recommend against it but I certainly don't recommend living in the neighborhood. Most people feel the same way.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:44 PM

35 posts, read 38,468 times
We trust you have checked out the other obvious places. Spanish Trails and TPC come immediately to mind. Spanish Trails has as good or better strip access than SH.

I am not at all sure many here have been in the nice homes in Queensridge. They certainly are not tract homes in any sense of the word. And far nicer than even the Christopher tracts in Summerlin.

Disagree strongly with Mommom on the schools. These are quite good and match up with similar neighborhoods in any US upper class suburb. And there is the Meadows if ithe kid is suitable and you want to go for it.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:49 AM

10,865 posts, read 16,961,414 times
To put things in perspective about schools -- if our schools were twice as good, we'd almost be up to Wisconsin's standards. (Nothing at all against Wisconsin.) But that's the "middle of the road, standard US public school education."

I'm throwing out the top 19 prep schools in the country because the net worth of the parents sending children to Trinity can pretty-much buy a spot in any university in the world. But let's look at #20, Deerfield Academy, in Massachusetts, where the faculty-student ratio is 6:1. And almost a quarter of the graduating class winds up in the Ivy League or prestige tech schools.

Compare that to the Meadows School, where only 10% of the graduating class go to the high-end universities. Granted, tuition at Meadows is a quarter of Deerfield. But there are public high schools in New Hampshire that can boast numbers similar to Meadows. And that's the point I'm trying to make.

Our best school is about as good as a public school in a state that takes education seriously. Of course, they pay a lot more in property taxes than we do. That's the trade-off.

The notion that the schools in our better Las Vegas neighborhoods "match up with similar neighborhoods in any US upper class suburb" simply isn't the case if that upper-class suburb happens to be Fairfield, Keene or Cupertino.

We may be a libertarian paradise. But we're not going to produce any Nobel Prize winners anytime soon. Not with our current school system.

I think our biggest problem is low expectations. We're never going to have "great" if all we ask for is "good."

Old 02-09-2012, 05:34 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,757,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Our best school is about as good as a public school in a state that takes education seriously. Of course, they pay a lot more in property taxes than we do.
Total expenditure per student in Clark County is $10,716 while the national average is $12,444. Money doesn't appear to be the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas