Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:22 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
A really good option is to buy directly from the Rancher. Go to vegasfoodcoop.com and check them out. If you put a few friends together, you can buy a 1/2 or 1/4 cow (butchered, wrapped and packed) and parcel it out amongst yourselves. It's grass finished, but not as metallic as most of the grass-finished I've tried. That being said, I STILL prefer grain-finished.

Just avoid the grocery store beef. It's almost always Select. Select sucks (for grilling at least). The only thing select is good for is making jerky -- you don't want any intramuscular fat when making jerky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m73m95 View Post
Wait, what?

Tell me more!! What and where is "Bar-10"??

Back in CO, I used to only buy beef by the side, from a local rancher. Ever since I've been out here, I've had to buy Costco meat. It is good, but nothing like a cow right from the ranch!
Link is above....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 11:22 AM

542 posts, read 986,557 times
I didn't get through 5 pages of posts in the thead

Thanks for the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I know that you are a ways from Reno but have you considered

Wolf Pack Meats - University of Nevada, Reno
Good link.

There are a few places in St. George, UT that sell beef by the side. I've thought about ordering a side, and buying a few coolers to bring it home. Anyone tried that? Might be a better deal for a few people to go in on it together. A whole side is a LOT of beef (Probably more than my daughter an I could eat in a year), but it wouldn't be worth the trip for any less than that.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:20 PM

39 posts, read 102,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Costco (but too much quantity), glaziers, albertsons
I buy meat at Costco, Sams and Winco. You have to freeze the excess and that's good since you have enough meat for more than i=one meal.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:23 PM

39 posts, read 102,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Same cut is called Family Steak here in Upstate NY. I looked everywhere for Tri-Tip when I moved here and everyone looked at me like I was crazy. Of course I can't find carne asada / skirt steak in stores here either.
At Winco I am sure I saw carne asada. Looked really good too.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:43 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Costco sells the least-expensive USDA Prime.

1) Forget "Ranchers Reserve" "Butcher's Baddabing" and "Cowboy's Choice." That's marketing. Nothing more.

2) Beef is voluntarily graded USDA Prime, USDA Choice, USDA Select, and then basically dog food. All those "Rancher's Crapola" is usually Select. Sometimes Choice.

3) Angus is a cow, which can be Prime, Choice, Select or dog food.

Buy prime whenever possible. Choice will do in a pinch.

Village Meat and Deli at Eastern and Trop. sells the best beef in Las Vegas. Bar-10 Ranch will truck beef down to the farmer's market.
Where is the farmer's market and when are they open? Would love to get some decent meat.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:59 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Where is the farmer's market and when are they open? Would love to get some decent meat.
The meat is all sold out, and will be for at least 3 months.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:15 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I found Bar-10 and I will check them out.

Back in the day, we would buy a calf for $50 and put it out in the pasture. By late fall, we would truck it off to the butcher and pick it up a couple weeks later from a freezer locker. If you wanted really 'good' beef you grain fed the cow for a couple weeks before it was slaughtered. Personally, I liked the grass fed better.

And it was cheaper than cheap. Worked out to less then $2 per pound and it was really good. It cost more to slaughter than it did to raise one.

I went to that coop site and read about the chicken. WOW! $20 for ONE chicken! I'm sure it's good but that's just too much. I do miss chicken that tastes like chicken.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:27 AM

They have grass fed ground beef on sale for $3.99 at Sunflower market this week.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:55 AM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Did you pick up your beef from Bar-10 yet? What did you think?
I did. We've only used some of the kabob meat so far, but it was good. I like me some kabobs.

Thanks for the tip on the co-op, whoever that was. Came just in time.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
They have grass fed ground beef on sale for $3.99 at Sunflower market this week.
I bought 3 pounds today, and I finally cooked a half pound. I hate to say it, but it is not good. It is 93% lean, and that probably is the reason why. That was the only grass fed beef they have, so oh well, at least I tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: