Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2007, 02:31 PM

29 posts, read 94,188 times

Advertisements

Moved here about a week ago and have been checking out jobs, living here. So far a lot of the complaints that people have talked about seem pretty minimal to me. Such as traffic, crime and the people. I live near Gibson rd in Henderson which is a decent area but nothing ultra-exclusive or anything and its a pretty good area. I think a lot of the people who say Vegas is terrible in terms of crime/schools/traffic have maybe not lived in another big city before. These things are very normal for any big city and I'm from Boston and don't find Vegas bad at all so far. I could be wrong and my opinion could drastically change but so far this place has been nothing but fun. The economy seems to be good, good weather, fun atmosphere and fairly affordable cost of living....

Just my 2 cents and subject to change.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2007, 05:37 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,966 times
good to hear!

my first few days have also gone well. hope the trend continues

Old 09-06-2007, 05:49 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsFan1291 View Post
Moved here about a week ago and have been checking out jobs, living here. So far a lot of the complaints that people have talked about seem pretty minimal to me. Such as traffic, crime and the people. I live near Gibson rd in Henderson which is a decent area but nothing ultra-exclusive or anything and its a pretty good area. I think a lot of the people who say Vegas is terrible in terms of crime/schools/traffic have maybe not lived in another big city before. These things are very normal for any big city and I'm from Boston and don't find Vegas bad at all so far. I could be wrong and my opinion could drastically change but so far this place has been nothing but fun. The economy seems to be good, good weather, fun atmosphere and fairly affordable cost of living....

Just my 2 cents and subject to change.....
I concur along with guinnessjim after 2 weeks. My temporary condo at Painted Desert is great, traffic is minimal, people are friendly, crime is a lot less than DC, golf weather is terrific Life is good!!!

Old 09-06-2007, 07:02 PM

52 posts, read 335,931 times
Violent crime isn't as bad as some would make it out to be. Could it be better? Sure. But it could also be worse. Car theft is another matter. We are the worst in the nation and our insurance rates reflect that. I've been lucky. I haven't had a vehicle of good quality stolen (cross fingers). I did have my old beat up truck stolen when I was 18, and fortunately the police recovered it a few hours later with minimal damage. People need to realize that any type of crime can happen anywhere. Gated community, multi million dollor neighborhood, small town, large city, doesn't matter. Most violent crime such as murders occur between people that know eachother. So if you don't hang around people inclined to commit violent acts, your odds go way down. Does this mean I'll drive around "D" street and lake Mead with my windows down and a large wad of cash on the seat at 11 at night. Of course not. Don't put yourself in a possible situation and pay attention to your surroundings and you'll be fine.

People also need to realize there is no utopia. There will be traffic, education problems, infrastructure problems, homeless problems, and any other type of problem in a valley of close to 2 million people. Especially when most of those people have moved here in the last 20 years. We haven't had time to catch up.

Glad you like it here. Wanna by my house so I can move and make room for someone else.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:15 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Thumbs up Proud to be a "cheerleader" for Las Vegas

20% of any group will bring trouble to the other 80% in greater or lesser degree.

2½% will be very bad people. 2½% of the Las Vegas population is about 45,000, but not all of them will be active criminals. At least 1.75 million are nice, ordinary people.

Boston would have about 87,000 potential criminals. But at least 3.4 million wouldn't be.

My home town would have about 350 in the criminal category, with around 14,000 wonderful folks.

It's a matter of percentages anywhere. The higher the population the more crime. It has always been that way throughout most of history, no matter where you were.

Is it high crime or just what you'd expect? Depends on how you look at things. I hate seeing homes in what was once wide open spaces...almost wilderness. And I hate it that with the growth has come a higher amount of crime, more traffic and congestion, higher prices, etc., in increasingly higher numbers, but not in higher percentages. On the other hand, I love the added conveniences, nice restaurants, places to shop, better looking neighborhoods, that growth has brought to the Valley. So it's good and bad.

Glass half full or glass half empty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: