Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 02:52 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,902,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laspider View Post
I have recently used BND also last September at the recommendation of a friend.
I had to redo the plaster (PebbleTech) in the pool spa, fix a few problem with plaster in the pool, replace 53 feet of silicone by the edge of the deck, chip out cracked PebbleTech at the pool waterline and install 70 feet of tiles, change and install two new lights, and fix loose slab stones on the spa deck and around the pool.
They were reliable, professional and pleasant to deal with. The owner checks every job personally to make sure the site is ready before the plastering and after completion.
Their bid was reasonable and less than 1/2 the price than what Adams had quoted a year before. That quote was so outrageous it went in the trash. BND was also more flexible and helpful than Adams in their approach to the quote.
I was interested in installing an autofill and BND talked me out of it. It would have been more trouble than it was worth in my case.
So far so good with the job. I would use BND again.
I agree. Almost everyone I talked to liked BND.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 11:22 AM

687 posts, read 1,935,835 times
Default Update

Just wanted to update all with my pool replastering experience. I received bids from Adams, Peak and a no-name guy. After the responses in this thread, I called BND and scheduled an estimate. The guy from BND never showed up for the estimate and when I contacted him, said he would call to reschedule. When he did not call back in a few days - I went with Adams in spite of some of the negativity here. My pool guy was a strong endorser of Adams and he's done ok by me thus far.

I had three companies involved in this - Adams, who chiseled out all the old plaster, replastered the pool with blue quartz and restored all the tile, replacing some tiles. My pool guy, who replaced the pool and spa lights and installed the autofill as well as repair leaks in the waterfall. Another guy who redid all the decking (repaired cracks and re-coated the surface). So these guys had to coordinate with one another.

It went quite well. Adams actually did the job for about $400 less than I was expecting They marred some of the decking, but the decking guy came back and retouched it all when they were done. The LED lights work great, change colors and make the quartz blue finish look good. Everything looks brand new.

My only disappointment was that the real autofill I wanted couldn't be easily installed because of the plumbing around the pool already in place under the deck. They were afraid that when they were core drilling a hole, they might break a pipe requiring the deck to be to removed to repair. My pool has about 16 popups to keep it clean and I guess there are pipes running to them, in addition to all the other underground pipes pools have. So that was a complication. My pool guy put some kind of digital timer valve on the water pipe that I use to fill the pool manually. It is adjusted to fill a little each day. Not the greatest solution, but it works. Since he comes out weekly, he can check to adjust it when needed.

Don't have the receipts in front of me, but the whole shebang cost around $4300 for Adams, $1000 for the pool guy and $1000 for the deck guy. Adams did fine and also supplied a 7 year guarantee. I did have to specify everything they were to do, item by item because their estimate was vague - but they agreed to it all and coordinated with the other two guys, so no complaints.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:28 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,051,643 times
I had a similar issue trying to get an autofill installed when I was redoing my decking.

I have a similar existing manual fill system, similar to what it sounds like you have.

I've looked at the following two systems to basically add a real autofill.

[1] Auto-Fill Management Systems Wired-Wireless for Swimming Pools from Fusion Pool Products

[2] Kona Labs Introduces New Water Saving Technology | Saving water saves energy, saves dollars and conserves our natural resources

There isn't much info on [2], but it's similar to what you already have in place, using a sprinkler valve and then activating it via a wireless float level that is in the skimmer lid.

I'll probably be installing one of these this summer.

---

Also, do you know what decking material they used on your replacement decking? Did they basically repaint your decking? Just curious. I had my decking redone a year or two ago with an acrylic texture and basically repaint and have been disappointed with it. Just wondering what else is out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
My pool guy put some kind of digital timer valve on the water pipe that I use to fill the pool manually. It is adjusted to fill a little each day. Not the greatest solution, but it works. Since he comes out weekly, he can check to adjust it when needed.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:22 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,902,516 times
Sounds like you did well! I know you will enjoy the new pool.

Post a pic of the quartz finish if you can.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:44 PM

687 posts, read 1,935,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Sounds like you did well! I know you will enjoy the new pool.

Post a pic of the quartz finish if you can.
Don't have a picture, but here's a short youtube video of the pool that I sent to my pool guy so he could see the waterfall leak. It shows the quartz finish and deck pretty good.

Leak in Waterfall - YouTube

Old 05-03-2012, 07:47 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,681,241 times
Looks good. I remember when it was still in bad shape when you first bought the house. I've only seen one bad job by Adams and that was just an bone head mistake by one of their workers. Glad it all worked out.

Old 06-09-2016, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 842 times
I've been searching for bids as well. We are hard pressed for cash at the moment and decided to resurface the pool ourselves. Anyways long story short we are looking into just having it plastered we are taking it down to the gunite ourselves. Had a guy from bnd come out and give us an estimate for plaster and it is $2400 to do our pool and that's after we get it down to the gunite and prepping ourselves. So.... I asked him how much they charge if we were to have them to the entire resurfacing job and he said $3000...oh my.. .so only $600 less if we do the prep work. I was also quoted at $1900 through a different company of a friend of mine

Old 06-10-2016, 12:47 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,573,122 times
An autofill was important to me on my rental. I didn't have one on the pool so I used one called a Marpac Poolkeeper. It worked very well and never failed. Uses a garden hose but you could always cut a small trough in the deck to hide the hose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas