Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 02:54 PM

9 posts, read 14,757 times

Advertisements

I was scammed last year by someone subletting a house. They were being evicted and not paying rent. They sublet the place to me. First, last, deposit... all gone. I had no idea till the constable's office posted a notice on the door.

I also hear about all kinds of other scams with renting properties in foreclosures, etc. With the way the economy and housing market is here in Vegas... there is a higher chance of shady renting practices. Both tenants and landlords have to be careful.

I'm looking for some tips on how to safeguard yourself as a renter. Things that you can do to make sure your potential landlord is legit.

One tip I got was to look up the house and make sure the property is NOT in foreclosure. I found the Clark County Property Assessor website here: Record Search . Is this the best place to search property records? I typed some addresses and did not get results.

I'm looking for a new place to rent and appreciate any tips you have that will make the process scam-free.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 03:34 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,535,283 times
landlord?

Old 02-25-2012, 05:12 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
VegasRocker, try contacting some real estate people. Many of them also rent out homes. Or they work with homeowners to find them renters.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:37 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
I'll have a house available in a few months when the lease expires. But it's near Hollywood, all the way east. Probably not what you're looking for. We pay cash for houses, so no worries about foreclosure.

If you use a Realtor, you just end up paying more. The landlord has to charge more to take care of the property manager's commission. Just ask the landlord if he or she will show you a Notice of Satisfaction of Mortgage or other document that proves ownership of the property. We'd do that, if asked.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:57 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,762,354 times
Pretty simple to avoid being scammed...

First, renter must be smarter than scammer.

Second, ask for identification and proof of home ownership or legitimate property management.

Third, never pay in cash.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:07 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,950,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasRocker View Post
I was scammed last year by someone subletting a house. They were being evicted and not paying rent. They sublet the place to me. First, last, deposit... all gone. I had no idea till the constable's office posted a notice on the door.

I also hear about all kinds of other scams with renting properties in foreclosures, etc. With the way the economy and housing market is here in Vegas... there is a higher chance of shady renting practices. Both tenants and landlords have to be careful.

I'm looking for some tips on how to safeguard yourself as a renter. Things that you can do to make sure your potential landlord is legit.

One tip I got was to look up the house and make sure the property is NOT in foreclosure. I found the Clark County Property Assessor website here: Record Search . Is this the best place to search property records? I typed some addresses and did not get results.

I'm looking for a new place to rent and appreciate any tips you have that will make the process scam-free.

Thanks.
There are property management companies that may be helpful to you.
They are responsible to the renter and the Landlord, I suggest going with the larger property management companies.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the responses.

yes, I understand that working with a realtor or good property management company would be the best route. I was looking for ways I could look up the status of a property. Or other ways to verify the unit is in good standing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Just ask the landlord if he or she will show you a Notice of Satisfaction of Mortgage or other document that proves ownership of the property. We'd do that, if asked.
Great tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
First, renter must be smarter than scammer.

Second, ask for identification and proof of home ownership or legitimate property management.

Third, never pay in cash.
Good reminder to check ID. And I get the "never pay in cash" (common sense). But paying with check won't help you get last month's rent and deposit back (but would help in a civil suit).

Old 02-26-2012, 08:06 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Paying by check would also delay your movein.. We wait till the check clears... Once you're in, checks are fine... cause if they don't cash you get to talk to the d.a

Old 02-27-2012, 01:06 AM

127 posts, read 227,066 times
I once had a landlord stiff me for the security deposit by falsely claiming damages to the apartment. Now I take lots of pictures when moving out.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfpinlv View Post
I once had a landlord stiff me for the security deposit by falsely claiming damages to the apartment. Now I take lots of pictures when moving out.
Yup, then there is the problem of suing to get your deposit back. And after you win in court... good luck actually collecting.

Nationally, 79 percent of small claims judgment debts are never recovered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas