Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 02:51 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,915,047 times

Advertisements

My wife has an a unemployment hearing on 3/21. Has anyone been to one of these? Should we have an attorney? Where is it located? It is for a so called no show at an interview with jobconnect which is bull pucky since we were there.. 9 minutes late due to a misunderstanding of an address. Job Connect gave us an address of 3405 Maryland Parkway which is in Henderson. Job Connect is located at 3405 SOUTH Maryland Parkway. We arrived on time but they refused to let her "cut" the line for the interview making her 9 minutes late. They also refused to reschedule. JobConnect then sent Winco a statement stating she was a no show. I have documentation (screen shot from Google Maps) showing that the address is in Henderson. A email from Winco foods showing that she did not qualify for the position due to lack of experience (so they actually looked at the application).. and I can do a screen shot of my gps showing us at the correct address S Maryland Parkway, once we called them again...

Any advice would be appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 06:37 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,282,866 times
You don't have to have an attorney, but I can't say whether you should or not. You've done a good job, it sounds like, of having all the documentation in order for her, which will help a lot. The address for the hearing should be on the hearing notice. I'm assuming it's not being done by phone, since you are local. Read any instructions you got very carefully, in case there is anything you need to send in ahead of time. You will be able to testify as a witness, if you have relevant first hand knowledge. This will almost certainly be the only opportunity you have to present evidence, even though there are appeals, so be sure she has all her ducks in a row.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:30 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,827,881 times
DM Buzz

Old 03-06-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bledsoe3 View Post
DM Buzz
I did, he doesn't answer the phone

Old 03-06-2012, 03:23 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,282,866 times
There have been other threads on this issue. Do an advanced search with "hearing" and limit it to his username, and, until he responds to you, it will give you some good info to read.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:43 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,940,976 times
I would think if you were given the wrong address that would be a consideration especially if you have it on paper. Does JobConnect have security cameras? If so suggest they take a look at them at or about the time you said she was there. Now of course they probably won't consider it but if you were there, then you were there. Too bad you didn't get the name of the person who turned you away.

Disclaimer: I have no experience or any clue how Nevada unemployment works. It's just sometimes you can only rely on common sense and this sounds like something that's not an original issue. You can try taking a map or a print out of map quest directions for the two different locations.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:50 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,272,780 times
I have not received a DM, but I'm thinking I should get out of the free unemployment advice business anyway as I have been away from it for too long, and it pi$$e$ my wife off that I don't bill for my consults. I will say that you are all over-thinking it. I would assume the interview is by phone, but look at the notice. It should tell you. I don't know the details, but I'd think it would only affect one week of UI, unless she stopped filing at that point. People should continue filing their weekly claims until some judge tells them they don't have to, because Adjudicator decisions are frequently reversed on Appeal, and sometimes all the Adjudicator needs is more info. From what I'm hearing here, I'm thinking this is a case of a Job Service Rep putting a stop on her claim when she didn't show up, as per regulations, and the Adjudicator might lift it after the interview and pay for all the weeks missed. Anyway, a lawyer would cost more than she's getting from UI, and lawyers don't know sh** about UI anyway.

Until now I had no idea that they had extended Maryland Parkway past the airport, and that there is one in Henderson, let alone that it would have the same address number. When I run a MapQuest on 3405 Maryland Pkwy, Las Vegas I get the correct address half a block south of DI Rd. To get 3405 Md Pkwy Henderson, I have to put Henderson into the address instead of Las Vegas. But JobConnect has been in the location on Maryland Pkwy since 1998. I know because I helped open that office, which BTW, began life as a large sporting goods store back in the early 1970's when Henderson had two streets ...Ok maybe three. But maybe Carson City needs to know so they can make changes to the website and letterheads, etc.

But I doubt if it makes any difference. She was supposed to be there and wasn't. I don't know what she was supposed to be there for, but that doesn't matter either. In times like these both the State and the Feds are forced to crack the whip as UI is going broke; or maybe it went broke and now the money is now coming from us taxpayers rather than from employers.

Anyway, I've said this a million times and am getting tired of repeating myself: The CLAIMANT is the one responsible for doing everything right without help from a spouse. In hundreds of cases I've seen and dealt with, EVERY SINGLE TIME A SPOUSE TRIES TO PLAY LAWYER he/she is totally incapable of doing that job and just gets the other party in trouble. I know it is natural to want to "protect" your loved one from the terrible big bad State Employees by being their lawyer, but none of you out there who haven't worked in UI for at least a few years is capable of doing anything but causing them more trouble. E.g., BUTT OUT.

Whether they want to interview her in person, or by phone, let her do it by herself. It is never as bad as your imagination builds it up to be, and State employees are not horrible people. But bring in another party who gets antagonistic, or makes a bigger deal out of it than it is, the State employee will do what anyone would do, and get defensive ...and in some cases make the innocent claimant pay for the spouse's error.

I don't remember if English is not her first language, but if she needs an interpretor, get someone who is neutral ...and again ...BUTT OUT! After all it was your error that got her into trouble so don't compound it.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:59 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,272,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
I would think if you were given the wrong address that would be a consideration especially if you have it on paper. Does JobConnect have security cameras? If so suggest they take a look at them at or about the time you said she was there. Now of course they probably won't consider it but if you were there, then you were there. Too bad you didn't get the name of the person who turned you away.

Disclaimer: I have no experience or any clue how Nevada unemployment works. It's just sometimes you can only rely on common sense and this sounds like something that's not an original issue. You can try taking a map or a print out of map quest directions for the two different locations.
OK, I mean this with the highest respect and affection when I say ...THIS IS WHAT I"M ALWAYS TELLING Y'ALL. Everyone has an opinion on UI but NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON IN THIS WORLD WILL EVER ─ EVER! ─ GIVE YOU CORRECT INFO unless they actually work at ESD in UI, and I'd give that only about a 90% mark. Even some of the employees in the Job Service end of it will not actually know everything about unemployment claims filing, or adjudication, or appeals unless they had worked in UI first.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:52 PM

Got the letter today, Wife won!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:08 PM

11,158 posts, read 15,948,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Got the letter today, Wife won!
Congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas