Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:32 PM

135 posts, read 270,118 times

Advertisements

These young kids are soooooo slick. They all have the same routine, trying to sell magazines for points. They have a comeback to your every objection - how do they memorize all that stuff? It's always the same, "I'm earning points to go on a trip with my :::insert club or school here::: to :::insert foreign country here::: . A young girl is roaming around my Green Valley Ranch neighborhood where there have been a couple of big burglaries lately. Am I being paranoid thinking about calling the cops or would that be wasting their time?

Is it a scam?: Door to Door Magazine sales scams - Tips on how to avoid them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 07:43 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,229,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishmom View Post
These young kids are soooooo slick. They all have the same routine, trying to sell magazines for points. They have a comeback to your every objection - how do they memorize all that stuff? It's always the same, "I'm earning points to go on a trip with my :::insert club or school here::: to :::insert foreign country here::: . A young girl is roaming around my Green Valley Ranch neighborhood where there have been a couple of big burglaries lately. Am I being paranoid thinking about calling the cops or would that be wasting their time?

Is it a scam?: Door to Door Magazine sales scams - Tips on how to avoid them
Luckily, I live in an apartment so I never have to deal with it. It is very simple though, just do not answer the door to anyone you do not know.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:46 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,762,354 times
Get a Rottweiler.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:49 PM

233 posts, read 497,779 times
They just came through here the other day. I sent the guy away was making me a little nervous asking what type of dog I had. What I did for a living what my partner does for a living. Selling magazines I thought they would be a little more concerned with what I read... Lol

Old 03-14-2012, 08:25 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
They are being used by someone to do that. I tell them they trespassing on private property where solicitation is not allowed, and they have one minute to get through the gate before I call 311.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:40 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,927,603 times
find out who they work for, report them to your HOA president and the police. they are loterying so that is illegal.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:42 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,927,603 times
also video tape them and take photos of them and that should also freak them out. lol

Old 03-14-2012, 08:52 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
I called them on it being a scam and the kid showed me a home made badge. I almost started laughing.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:01 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trisha0608 View Post
They just came through here the other day. I sent the guy away was making me a little nervous asking what type of dog I had. What I did for a living what my partner does for a living. Selling magazines I thought they would be a little more concerned with what I read... Lol
W H A T ! ! !??? ? ?? ?
Ya know...there is only ONE way to answer those questions from a guy like that.
You gotta get a little nasty and rude.
I would have said "Why are you asking me about where I work? I don't know you...as a matter of fact, I'm going inside and calling the police because I no longer feel safe."
Then go inside and do it.

I say for you to answer that way cause your a woman--and these filthy animals seek out females because they look for easy victims.
No offense.

I on the other hand would have went nuts on him the second he asked me a personal question.
And my wife would never ever come to the door without a 40 cal in her hand.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:22 PM

700 posts, read 1,329,274 times
Ok. What a coincidence! I was just doing some research on this since one of the guys came by my door.
I didnt give any cash and said my checkbook was at work. He used the money for college thing. Cards and badges looked home made and he got his story crossed up once. He was quite charming and had a good beginning schpeil, but lost out in the end. And once he said he was selling magazines, it all clicked. Glad I didnt buy. Seems like they go in waves. Im up near Craig and the 15. Put the word out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas