U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-11-2007, 05:41 PM
 
1 posts, read 6,362 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

I live in columbus ohio and am thinking about moving my family to vegas. I am a commercial carpenter and the work here is running out. I have heard that the construction in vegas is fairly steady. i am wondering if this is true, and how easy it is to get a job with the carpenters union.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2007, 05:52 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 35,663,192 times
Reputation: 2661
As I understand it union members from outside are pretty well set. I don't know if they will roll out the carpet for none union carpenters. But they appear to be very open to the union variety. You might want to give them a call.

Union Carpenters Local 1977 of Las Vegas Nevada (broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 01:14 PM
 
2 posts, read 8,578 times
Reputation: 14
Yes, there are plenty of jobs here in Vegas. My husband is a union carpenter and makes really good $$. If you have a family, though, I strongly reccommend not coming here. We hate it. The schools are really bad and over crowded. There's a teacher shortage, and the casinos don't want to give in to the proposed offer of giving more of their profits to help the schools. ( Like they can't part with a few million for more schools, and better pay for the teachers.) They did raise their taxes on rooms to give the teachers a small raise but that won't help with the amount of students at the schools. The school our younger son went to is supposed to accomadate around 600 students-- there were 1200+ and it was year round to help w/ the over crowding. The illegals are really a problem, too. Better not say more. (You'll get the message.)
We have 2 sons, 14 & 12 yrs. old and we have them doing online schooling through a charter school because ther's NO WAY we want them back in the regular public schools.
Everywhere you look, billboards, back of taxi cabs, etc, it's like looking at a playboy magazine. They teach gambling games at some of the schools as part of "helping" with Math.
We've been here for 3 yrs. and we are planning on going back to Texas soon. We also have a 15 month old girl, and there's no way we can even go outside to do activities because of the dust and pollution. It's windy A LOT, and there are a lot of sinus and allergy problems. Not just w/ my family, every one we know pretty much complains of this.
The houses are so close together you could hear your neighbor sneeze. Luckily we're renting an older home and we actually have trees in our back yard, and there's more room between our houses. One time my husband found a homeless man sleeping (passed out) in our side yard. The other day someone else threw a (stolen?) bike over the same fence.
I could go on and on but we really miss the rain, grass, trees, and having a place to go as a family that is not full sex, drugs and everything in between. And the gas, insurance rates, etc. are not good. Traffic...? where do I begin! The California drivers are crazy. It's scary.
Guess most of the people moving here do so because of the wages. My husband is going to take a big pay cut to join the union in Beaumont, Tx because we hate it so much.
Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
2,975 posts, read 8,150,750 times
Reputation: 1460
You can have your cake and eat it too, its either he moves somewhere where there is work, or he is unemployed in Ohio. Take your pick?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 07:09 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 35,663,192 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegriffs View Post
Yes, there are plenty of jobs here in Vegas. My husband is a union carpenter and makes really good $$. If you have a family, though, I strongly reccommend not coming here. We hate it. The schools are really bad and over crowded. There's a teacher shortage, and the casinos don't want to give in to the proposed offer of giving more of their profits to help the schools. ( Like they can't part with a few million for more schools, and better pay for the teachers.) They did raise their taxes on rooms to give the teachers a small raise but that won't help with the amount of students at the schools. The school our younger son went to is supposed to accomadate around 600 students-- there were 1200+ and it was year round to help w/ the over crowding. The illegals are really a problem, too. Better not say more. (You'll get the message.)
We have 2 sons, 14 & 12 yrs. old and we have them doing online schooling through a charter school because ther's NO WAY we want them back in the regular public schools.
Everywhere you look, billboards, back of taxi cabs, etc, it's like looking at a playboy magazine. They teach gambling games at some of the schools as part of "helping" with Math.
We've been here for 3 yrs. and we are planning on going back to Texas soon. We also have a 15 month old girl, and there's no way we can even go outside to do activities because of the dust and pollution. It's windy A LOT, and there are a lot of sinus and allergy problems. Not just w/ my family, every one we know pretty much complains of this.
The houses are so close together you could hear your neighbor sneeze. Luckily we're renting an older home and we actually have trees in our back yard, and there's more room between our houses. One time my husband found a homeless man sleeping (passed out) in our side yard. The other day someone else threw a (stolen?) bike over the same fence.
I could go on and on but we really miss the rain, grass, trees, and having a place to go as a family that is not full sex, drugs and everything in between. And the gas, insurance rates, etc. are not good. Traffic...? where do I begin! The California drivers are crazy. It's scary.
Guess most of the people moving here do so because of the wages. My husband is going to take a big pay cut to join the union in Beaumont, Tx because we hate it so much.
Good luck!

The only elementary schoool from the top rankings that is heavily over loaded is Lamping. And that is primarily because everyone loves the school and fights to keep from being zoned out of it.

There are at least 50 fine elementary schools and 100 that are more than adequate. There are some that are not adequate and some that are heavily overcrowded. Don't live there.

There is a school problem but, as is normal, it falls almost completely on the poor and lower social/economic strata.

Las Vegas is an adequate large school system.

There is no more blatant sex in Las Vegas than any good sized city. Sure there are a couple of risque billboards...standard in a big city. See more flesh in a swimming pool.

If you live in a lower socio-economic class neighborhoods you will get more socially objectionable behavior. True in Las Vegas and Podunk Hollow TX. That is how it is. Pays to have a little sense of humor is not very well off.

You may well find out that you are happier in Beaumont. I would not live there on a bet. But that problem lies with you not Vegas. Some are simply not suited to living in a modern big city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,434 posts, read 47,295,596 times
Reputation: 10523
The old story that jobs grow on trees here has vanished. I am more referring to construction jobs but all jobs are tough to come by now. The other story of there only being 2 seasons here, winter and construction has also vanished. There is another saying I used to hear: Jobs are a dime a dozen here and a quarter a dozen for good paying jobs. Those days are gone. Have you read the Vegas housing market forums here? Residential is at a stand still.

There is a thread earlier talking about union jobs. He will not get in the union. He has a slim chance if he already is union man in Ohio. There is little work for Carpenters. Any work needed is already spoken for. If some one dies there is a waiting list employers pick from. All that construction on the strip will in due time need Carpenters but that is a ways away before those mega buildings are closed in. Right now it is all most all Iron Workers.

A good indication of available jobs might be found in the LVRJ our local paper. They are on-line. You can also check Craigslist. I already looked before speaking, there are none. Our Sunday paper job section shrunk from approx. 20 pages to about 4. Most of them are casino jobs and quite a few Medical.

Like the last very smart person who mentioned leaving for Texas, that is the best idea if you need work since they have led in job growth for several years now. They are building homes there now like Vegas did in 2003-2004.

Wish ya good luck no matter what ya do..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2008, 09:42 PM
 
Location: NW Las Vegas - Lone Mountain
15,756 posts, read 35,663,192 times
Reputation: 2661
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
The old story that jobs grow on trees here has vanished. I am more referring to construction jobs but all jobs are tough to come by now. The other story of there only being 2 seasons here, winter and construction has also vanished. There is another saying I used to hear: Jobs are a dime a dozen here and a quarter a dozen for good paying jobs. Those days are gone. Have you read the Vegas housing market forums here? Residential is at a stand still.

There is a thread earlier talking about union jobs. He will not get in the union. He has a slim chance if he already is union man in Ohio. There is little work for Carpenters. Any work needed is already spoken for. If some one dies there is a waiting list employers pick from. All that construction on the strip will in due time need Carpenters but that is a ways away before those mega buildings are closed in. Right now it is all most all Iron Workers.

A good indication of available jobs might be found in the LVRJ our local paper. They are on-line. You can also check Craigslist. I already looked before speaking, there are none. Our Sunday paper job section shrunk from approx. 20 pages to about 4. Most of them are casino jobs and quite a few Medical.

Like the last very smart person who mentioned leaving for Texas, that is the best idea if you need work since they have led in job growth for several years now. They are building homes there now like Vegas did in 2003-2004.

Wish ya good luck no matter what ya do..
Well you are at least partially right DS. But I happen to know a little about electricians...and they are still going great guns. I suspect the same is true of all the other mechanical trades. Don't know about carpenters but I suspect those that do big construction may be doing OK.

The residental market is flat on its back and going to be there a while yet. I have no idea how bad they are hurting but they got to be down to 20% of the peak. Maybe worse.

I don't see a terrribly ugly job scene here. The unemployment numbers are not bad when you consider most everybody in residental construction is unemployed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2008, 07:41 AM
 
Location: Northern Illinois area
98 posts, read 302,075 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post


Like the last very smart person who mentioned leaving for Texas, that is the best idea if you need work since they have led in job growth for several years now. They are building homes there now like Vegas did in 2003-2004.

Wish ya good luck no matter what ya do..
Not op or anything and I know you aren't from Texas...but where in Texas is all the growth? Hubby is an electrician- does mostly residential and we are looking to leave Illinois as growth has really stopped here- the crisis has hit our area hard!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2008, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,434 posts, read 47,295,596 times
Reputation: 10523
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Well you are at least partially right DS. But I happen to know a little about electricians...and they are still going great guns. I suspect the same is true of all the other mechanical trades. Don't know about carpenters but I suspect those that do big construction may be doing OK.

The residental market is flat on its back and going to be there a while yet. I have no idea how bad they are hurting but they got to be down to 20% of the peak. Maybe worse.

I don't see a terrribly ugly job scene here. The unemployment numbers are not bad when you consider most everybody in residental construction is unemployed.
I didn't say bad about Electricians. I spoke of the fantastic oppportunities in 2 posts within the last couple days for Electricians. What I am seeing out there are better opportunities for Electricians then any other trade right now. There is actually more jobs then there are Electricians right now. No other contruction trade can say that at this moment.

The OP was asking about Carpenters. For that I gave little hope and no positive advice to the OP. Almost zero in the residential end. As far as commercial there is a some hope when some of those big projects on the strip start closing up. Right now the Iron Workers are thriving. Soon they will be sitting at the Union Hall looking. Once they close up those buildings then the interior tradespeople will be needed including Carpenters.

I feel like adding something else. About 10 years ago when I got here, for example the framers were making $25/hr. This would be non union with varied experience and trainees were also close to that number. Today we have 3 south of the borders making $8/hr each doing the same work. The builder gets 3 times the work (or more) for the same money. May the quality of work be damned. The buyer could care less so why should the builder spend on quality?

You ever see those old Superman movies where if you hold up Kryptonite and Superman starts to die? That is what happens when you hold up a level to one of those guys. They begin to melt and die. I dare anyone to walk a home site where a crew of south of the border framers are building and find anyone using a level. Dare ya !!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2008, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Houston, Texas
10,434 posts, read 47,295,596 times
Reputation: 10523
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyjnny View Post
Not op or anything and I know you aren't from Texas...but where in Texas is all the growth? Hubby is an electrician- does mostly residential and we are looking to leave Illinois as growth has really stopped here- the crisis has hit our area hard!
Try this: Just released yesterday by Kiplinger. No. 1: Houston, Texas - Kiplinger.com

If not Texas then this list shows the top 10 housing markets. Take your pick. I was quite fasinated and surprised with Omaha Nebraska.

Here is another one where Forbes lists the top 10 recession proof cities. Texas cities dominate the top 10 spots. 2008 Real Estate Center Market Reports Available Online > Texas Gulf Coast Real Estate > Real Estate News

I will be from Texas as soon as some one buys my house. But I ain't holding my breath. I am $90,000 upside down like everyone else. It is for rent as of now. The wife is a Texan so she has family there. That helps some too for mental support at least. Relocating is hard and stressfull. I can promise you that.

Good luck

We do own south Texas lake property with all utilities and a 32' 5th wheel on it. We go at least once every other month for about 4-5 days at at time. Not so much inside Houston but outer lieing areas are booming with residential housing starts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top