Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,544 times

Advertisements

My husband is a special Ed teacher and Clark county has recruited him, they are trying to get us there for the 2012-2013 school year. I've been researching places to live, cost of living, etc and have found lots of different information, so it's really hard to analyze.

We are looking for a 3 bedroom house somewhere in NW Vegas, what would utilities run?

I've heard people say $600 electric in summer for A/C, which seems high considering we've never topped $300 for gas here in winter, in an old 1920's house.

Do you have good, fast internet? We have U-Verse here, but I depend on a fast connection (we pay extra for their fastest plan) for my job.

Is traffic an issue? NW Vegas to family in Henderson would be what, 30 minutes?

I understand getting your nevada registration can be expensive based on your cars (we have an 03 & 04 Taurus so probably not too much) but is there any other costs with establishing there?

Just very nervous about expenses - how much is a gallon of milk? Gas? Bananas?

Thank you so much for any replies, I have family moving out there to retire next year, but would like some local feedback
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 09:13 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,923,831 times
LOL...it is not a third world country or an island as expensive as Hawaii. Everything is not that different from Cleveland. Few things here and there.

Depending on time and accidents and exact locale, about 30ish minutes.

Food is close to the same as midwest, with maybe some exceptions on produce, because (I'm from Detroit area, hubby from Cleveland)we have great fruit markets and they don't have them like that in LV. No biggie, they have plenty, though. Just different.

Internet with Cox Cable is fast.

Utilities depend on your home and usage. Just search this forum for that as there are many answers and different examples of what people pay based on size of home and what they use it for (pool...).
We have a 3 BR ranch with a pool and our highest summer bill has not ever been over $300. Gas bills have never been over $100 ever. We live in the NW (Centennial Hills).

Just like any large city, some areas of traffic get sticky, others not so bad. I find the roads to be awesome compared to midwest, so that helps. It is not worse than the Detroit area at all. Just takes time to get used to the difference. Like we can not do U turns in MI unless posted. Opposite in LV. That was strange for me. No MI lefts, I like that, but it took a while to get familiar with that.

Does hubby know what school yet? Have you ever been there? Other than the Strip? Maybe you should rent first. Find the area you like. Maybe you would like Henderson better? Especially if that is where family is going. Do you have school age children?

Registration is high, but you don't have state taxes, so that's where that goes! Not a bad trade off and it does get lower with age. We had a brand new one and that was a gagger, but we dealt.

Anyway, it is not as bad as you think, I was nervous too (mostly about the school as I have a HS daughter and the bugs. Neither were or are a problem)

Good luck, you will be fine. Getting the job is the hardest part!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:38 AM

553 posts, read 1,206,231 times
I am from Cleveland and recently moved to LV. I find the cost of living to be nearly the same overall. Housing cost is similar. Some things are more expensive like electricity and gas for the car. Other things are less expensive like no state income tax and no toll roads (for now). In the end, however, the quality of life in LV is so much better. PM me and I am happy to give you more specific comparisons.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:13 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,931,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lliana View Post
My husband is a special Ed teacher and Clark county has recruited him, they are trying to get us there for the 2012-2013 school year. I've been researching places to live, cost of living, etc and have found lots of different information, so it's really hard to analyze.

We are looking for a 3 bedroom house somewhere in NW Vegas, what would utilities run?

I've heard people say $600 electric in summer for A/C, which seems high considering we've never topped $300 for gas here in winter, in an old 1920's house. Depends on the house and energy efficiency.. we have 2700sf, 3 floor.. highest electric before energy improvements 510. after 250. Gas always around 40...Get a newer home.

Do you have good, fast internet? We have U-Verse here, but I depend on a fast connection (we pay extra for their fastest plan) for my job. Cleveland Internet Faster and Cheaper

Is traffic an issue? NW Vegas to family in Henderson would be what, 30 minutes? I work in Henderson, live near Aliante in NW..45 minute average...depends on time of if theres an accident.. longest time for me was 90 minutes

I understand getting your nevada registration can be expensive based on your cars (we have an 03 & 04 Taurus so probably not too much) but is there any other costs with establishing there? For the Taurus' expect around 100 a year.

Just very nervous about expenses - how much is a gallon of milk? Gas? Bananas? Milk 2.89 gal, Gas 3.99 gal, Bananas 48 cents a lb

Thank you so much for any replies, I have family moving out there to retire next year, but would like some local feedback
I like it much better here than Cleveland by far... hardest thing to get used to is the people... very transient town.. be very careful on large purchases... took me awhile (and this forum) to find honest dependable mechanics, etc..

Everything (except car registration) imo, is cheaper here... If you have urges to gamble or drink, this may not be the place for you.. If i had kids, i wouldn't move here either but thats my own opinion.... Area to live in IMO is the NW or Aliante... however everything seems to be on the other side of the valley...

You will have to get used to the drivers... they drive very very fast and cut you off like a blink of an eye....but you get used to it.... In Ohio, on the freeways, i would drive 65ish on a 55, here the speedlimits for the most part are 65-75 on the highway and i drive anywhere from 85 to 100 on average...and im not flying by the other cars..

definitely rent for a year before you buy... you either love it or hate it here...

Old 03-27-2012, 01:13 PM

609 posts, read 1,616,882 times
do we have fast internet.. yes lol

Vegas is a relatively cheap place to live for size of city and pace of life

It's a great place to lviea nd clean everywhere outside of strip

Beautiful weather throughout the year. Similar to Florida, just dry heat

Old 03-27-2012, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,754 times
Vegas is great! I've lived about an hour west of Cleveland for 26 years, and am in the process of moving to Henderson right now. I've been visiting Vegas since 1997 and had a vacation home there since 2006, so I've spend my fair share of time there. Prices of items are pretty similar to Cleveland. Groceries are about the same, sometimes cheaper since Vegas is closer to California, where alot of food is grown. Gasoline prices are usually about 10-20 cents higher in Vegas. PM me if you're looking for places to rent. My sister works for a large property management company that covers the entire LV valley and might be able to help.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:09 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,334,035 times
Quote:

I've heard people say $600 electric in summer for A/C, which seems high considering we've never topped $300 for gas here in winter, in an old 1920's house.

Do you have good, fast internet? We have U-Verse here, but I depend on a fast connection (we pay extra for their fastest plan) for my job.

Is traffic an issue? NW Vegas to family in Henderson would be what, 30 minutes?

I understand getting your nevada registration can be expensive based on your cars (we have an 03 & 04 Taurus so probably not too much) but is there any other costs with establishing there?

Just very nervous about expenses - how much is a gallon of milk? Gas? Bananas?

Where to begin. I have a three-bedroom home in the northwest valley, about 1400 square feet. My utilities run $250-300 per month on average. BTW - there are quite a few houses both for rent and for sale in my area (Centennial Hills, near 95/Durango).

Several companies offer broadband internet service. Many people use Cox Cable. CenturyLink and others offer DSL.

You can go from the northwest to Henderson in 30 minutes - if you're not traveling at a peak time and there are no accidents. The primary highway from northwest to Henderson is US 95, and there is a lot of construction that slows down traffic. Also, any time near rush hour and it can be a parking lot at the junction of US 95 and I-15.

The last milk I bought was about $3.50 a gallon, bananas I don't recall. Gasoline is pushing $4 per gallon (mine is more because my car requires premium unleaded).

Produce in general is not horribly expensive, because we have easy access to the huge California market. I sometimes take a trip over toward Fresno and buy direct from the growers.

Auto registration can be expensive. I have a 13-year-old car and I just paid north of $175. In Clark County a smog check is required for auto registration, and those usually run about $20-25. There are smog stations all over the valley, so finding one isn't difficult. Most oil change and auto repair places do smog checks, and some stations are little more than huts in the parking lots of convenience stores.

Last edited by orca17; 03-27-2012 at 05:18 PM..

Old 03-27-2012, 10:07 PM

16,375 posts, read 30,171,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyOcean View Post
Vegas is great! I've lived about an hour west of Cleveland for 26 years, and am in the process of moving to Henderson right now. I've been visiting Vegas since 1997 and had a vacation home there since 2006, so I've spend my fair share of time there. Prices of items are pretty similar to Cleveland. Groceries are about the same, sometimes cheaper since Vegas is closer to California, where alot of food is grown. Gasoline prices are usually about 10-20 cents higher in Vegas. PM me if you're looking for places to rent. My sister works for a large property management company that covers the entire LV valley and might be able to help.

And as no one has mentioned, the taxes are MUCH LOWER in that there are NO state or local income taxes in the state of Nevada.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:15 PM

8 posts, read 18,217 times
What exactly is a Smog Check?
I am new here (only been here 2.5 weeks) and I keep seeing this all over.
I have no clue what that means..
Could someone please enlighten me?

Old 03-28-2012, 09:02 PM

499 posts, read 1,058,120 times
You have been "enlightened", go get your smog check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: