Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 04:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,173 times

Advertisements

Why do people just say things? Anyone with a little common sense knows you dont put time and effort building something like this with a starting and stopping point. It's called phases because you have material and resources and many other things to contend with, the project is obvioulsy designed for from Victorville to Las Vegas; because you have to start somewhere. Do some research instead of some of these moronish thoughts I keep reading. Fact - 60% of the Riders projected to use the train as it is designed now, average a 45 mile radious from Victorville, that is call the sweetspot. I can't help but believe the people that did the research have calculated thats enough buisness to make a profit and prepare for phase 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 05:36 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opinionator View Post
Why do people just say things? Anyone with a little common sense knows you dont put time and effort building something like this with a starting and stopping point. It's called phases because you have material and resources and many other things to contend with, the project is obvioulsy designed for from Victorville to Las Vegas; because you have to start somewhere. Do some research instead of some of these moronish thoughts I keep reading. Fact - 60% of the Riders projected to use the train as it is designed now, average a 45 mile radious from Victorville, that is call the sweetspot. I can't help but believe the people that did the research have calculated thats enough buisness to make a profit and prepare for phase 2.
You need to step back there. Some of the people who did post live in that "sweetspot" which would include Ontario, Corona, Rancho Cucamonga, etc. If the people on this forum are a small sampling of the mindset regarding this project then it would be sensible to conclude that the train would be a disaster.

Going back a bit, it would be prudent to see what kind of schedule such a train would run on with frequency plus what contingency plans are in place for breakdowns as well as maintenance costs projections. Until the cost of a round trip ticket falls way under $68 that my research did yesterday, I'll take a pass. Let Harry pony up the money himself and we'll see if he's truly serious about this or if he wants to be the next Frank McCourt.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:15 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,989,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opinionator View Post
I can't help but believe the people that did the research have calculated thats enough buisness to make a profit and prepare for phase 2.
Then I think you're naive.

At best, this is a pork project designed to benefit Nevada and California. At worst, this is nest feathering of the highest order.

The people trying to shove this project down our throats stand to make millions and millions in government scratch. Once they've made their pile, they'll let the rail system fail so taxpayers can pick up the check.

And keep in mind, I WANT a decent rail system. I'm willing to pay higher taxes for it. I'm willing to pay increased fares for it. But this is not a decent rail system. This is an economic disaster waiting to happen.

The terminals have to make sense for both SoCal and Las Vegas. Otherwise it will not be successful. Anaheim makes the most sense for Las Vegans, because we HAVE A REASON TO GO THERE RIGHT NOW. Disney doesn't interest me personally, but at least it's logical.

Sending this train to Victorville and then waiting to see if anyone wants to spend more money to continue it to someplace reasonable is simply dumb.

It's not like another billion or two is going to make a difference to do the project right. The loan is ever going to be repaid, anyway. The developers will pay themselves handsomely, hide even more off the books, and suck a few hundred million off the government teat. Then they'll default on their loan and hand the system over to the government.

The US is going to end up owning a $100 million railroad that they spent $5 billion to build. That's how this is going to play out. Mark my words.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:50 PM

1,376 posts, read 3,082,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
You need to step back there. Some of the people who did post live in that "sweetspot" which would include Ontario, Corona, Rancho Cucamonga, etc. If the people on this forum are a small sampling of the mindset regarding this project then it would be sensible to conclude that the train would be a disaster.
Now it would make more sense to begin/end in any of the places you mentioned instead of Victorville. Hell make an agreement with the speedway in Fontucky (parking). Easy access of the 91/10/5 for all those in the IE, OC and LA.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,341,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

At best, this is a pork project designed to benefit Nevada and California. At worst, this is nest feathering of the highest order.

The people trying to shove this project down our throats stand to make millions and millions in government scratch. Once they've made their pile, they'll let the rail system fail so taxpayers can pick up the check.

And keep in mind, I WANT a decent rail system. I'm willing to pay higher taxes for it. I'm willing to pay increased fares for it. But this is not a decent rail system. This is an economic disaster waiting to happen.

The terminals have to make sense for both SoCal and Las Vegas. Otherwise it will not be successful. Anaheim makes the most sense for Las Vegans, because we HAVE A REASON TO GO THERE RIGHT NOW. Disney doesn't interest me personally, but at least it's logical.

Sending this train to Victorville and then waiting to see if anyone wants to spend more money to continue it to someplace reasonable is simply dumb.

It's not like another billion or two is going to make a difference to do the project right. The loan is ever going to be repaid, anyway. The developers will pay themselves handsomely, hide even more off the books, and suck a few hundred million off the government teat. Then they'll default on their loan and hand the system over to the government.

The US is going to end up owning a $100 million railroad that they spent $5 billion to build. That's how this is going to play out. Mark my words.
+1 Scoop. This has tons of cost overruns written all over the place.

I'm also with Scoop on his message above, I want to see the rail thing work out but there has to be a way so it connects with the rails outside Disneyland. Anaheim Station is right outside Disneyland and I would love to take my family to Disneyland or Knott's Berry Farm. I just can't see going to Victorville then connecting to another train system would work logistically.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:13 AM

65 posts, read 85,492 times
yay choochoos!

Old 03-31-2012, 09:30 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,105,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post

and Scary Harry Reid is gonna be VERY Richer.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:17 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
this has Scary Harry's fingerprints ALL over it.
Quote:
but Scary Harry will make a BUCKET of $$$$$
Quote:
and Scary Harry Reid is gonna be VERY Richer.
I'm relatively new to these parts. Care to enlighten me?

Old 04-04-2012, 08:24 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,105,648 times
Harry Reid our semi esteemed state senator and former senate majority leader and buddy of BHO and whatzername from California.

He is pushing the train to nowhere [nowhere being Victorville] despite that fact that anpother company wanted his help to run it all the way to Anaheim....

Persona; opinion of course.....from one that voted for him for 30 years until now

Old 04-04-2012, 09:35 PM

579 posts, read 1,210,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I'm relatively new to these parts. Care to enlighten me?

It's my understanding that Reid has ties to the company that is receiving the federal loan, and that he owns a ton of land that borders I-15 between Victorville and Las Vegas. A train would make that useless land skyrocket in value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas