Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 05:30 PM

16,375 posts, read 30,176,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVNVTrucker View Post
I only go to one football game every 2 years. Thats when my UNR Wolfpack comes down to hammer on the Rebs. Reno fans travel well and "pack" (excuse the pun) up the stadium. We have friends from the Reno area that come down in RVs and pickups and we hold a real decent tailgate BBQ.

And now that Reno has left the WAC and will join the Mountain West this year, this will make the cross-state rivalry game a conference game.

I really resisted the urge to tell the poster that you needed to drive 400 miles north to see real college football in Nevada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 03:28 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,854,818 times
I'm not driving to Reno. I wanted to come in and see my Gophers in your home opener. Play a round or two of golf, see the Hoover Dam and put some coin down on week 1 of college football! Liquor will be mixed in during the process.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:26 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,334,513 times
Quote:
Darn...thats not real encouraging. Maybe I rent a car for a day and drink in the parking lot.
The positives about Sam Boyd Stadium: Parking is free, and tickets are easy to get (unless UNLV is playing Wisconsin). Negatives: The stadium is ten miles from campus, and the lot is both unpaved and unmarked. If you drive there, find a landmark that you are sure will be there when you leave, to help you find your car after the game.

The distance between Sam Boyd and campus is the main reason there has been discussion of an on-campus stadium at UNLV. IMO one reason basketball has succeeded and football has not is distance. A lot of college students have no transportation, and football games might as well be on the moon for these students. I attended two major universities with successful football programs, and one of the things that made the experience what it was was people parking on and around campus and walking to the game. This doesn't happen at UNLV. The stadium is so far from where students live, there is little excitement on campus on football weekends.

Old 04-02-2012, 07:58 PM

16,375 posts, read 30,176,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I'm not driving to Reno. I wanted to come in and see my Gophers in your home opener. Play a round or two of golf, see the Hoover Dam and put some coin down on week 1 of college football! Liquor will be mixed in during the process.

That is an ideal matchup, actually. The UNLV of the Big Ten playing UNLV.

Personally, I think that Jerry Kill made a SERIOUS error in taking that job, He should have followed the Jim Trassel example. Have an insanely successful team at a lower level (like the MAC) until a marquis position becomes available.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:34 PM

You note I wasn't talking lots of trash. The Gophers have a ways to go.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:07 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,334,513 times
Quote:
You note I wasn't talking lots of trash. The Gophers have a ways to go.
Considering that there were three total points scored in your spring game, you may be right. Of course, you should have a pretty even match with the local club. Any UNLV football fan who talks trash is probably too drunk to stand up.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:37 PM

I just saw that...3 points is an embarrassment...maybe I'll skip the game and just gamble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas