Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 05:22 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,479,590 times

Advertisements

@ Macgeek, where did I say Rio to Decatur was a $10 fare?
...Besides, I was using general numbers to illustrate a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 08:04 AM

700 posts, read 1,329,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthp223 View Post
I've been reading most of this and just thought I'd chime in.

I drive for a west side only cab co, I can tell you these are some hard working guys. As a matter of fact some of the best radio people I've had the pleasure to work.

What it all comes down to is tips, I really don't care if your going a block or 100 miles.

The way things work out the company takes most of the fare, it's how you tip us that makes our day.

Trust me I know there's a lot of bad drivers, but there's a bunch of us that like to be proffesional and we do our jobs with pride and safety first.

I take a 75% of my day from the radio, unlike a strip cab that can go hotel to hotel.

When I take the call, find your address drive to you, knock on the door,wait...open and close doors for you like a limo driver. Always smile and keep a good attitude, then at the end of the ride you tip me a dime. Chances are you will never see me again. Drivers share this information with each other.

If you toss a five spot chances are I will give you my card or number for repeat Buisness.

I'll I'm saying is take care of your cabbie and he will take care of you.

So its like the restaurant business where the employer rips off the employee and the customer is expected to pay the employee's wage and if the customer doesnt live up to that expectation then the employee is disgruntled?

Old 06-02-2012, 09:10 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demoknite View Post
So its like the restaurant business where the employer rips off the employee and the customer is expected to pay the employee's wage and if the customer doesnt live up to that expectation then the employee is disgruntled?

Yes. Service employees tend to hate their employer and customer equally. I know I did when I worked in the service industry.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:35 PM

106 posts, read 116,781 times
Cypher it any way you want, I'm just telling you how I see it. Personally I take it all with a smile, and some days are pretty tough.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:35 PM

31 posts, read 49,964 times
Last time in Vegas we found out a rental car for an overnight would cost us $23. with some discounts we had. Went and got it the day before our flight home. Drove it that night and next day returned it, caught the shuttle to the airport and bingo...avoided a cab and spent only $23.
Cab would have been $25 minimum plus tip...AND we didn't have to worry about a cab being late or not showing up. I am very paranoid about missing a flight and would have probably worried all the night before.

edit to add: we have a car in Vegas so did not have any trouble going for the rental car...

Old 06-03-2012, 10:14 AM

322 posts, read 565,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Yes. Service employees tend to hate their employer and customer equally. I know I did when I worked in the service industry.
Why do service employees generally hate their customers? I generally like folks that have no obligation to give me money but voluntarily do so anyway.

Yes I understand some customers are rude/demanding and poor tippers, but a few bad apples shouldn't cause the whole barrel to be seen as bad. There are always a few overly generous/nice customers as well, assuming the employee is performing their job well. Service workers should know in advance what to expect on average over time without dwelling on individual customers.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:20 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,635,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
@ Macgeek, where did I say Rio to Decatur was a $10 fare?
...Besides, I was using general numbers to illustrate a point.
You didn't, I am just saying that a SHORT ride (6-10 blocks) is $10
you talk about driving 3-5 miles for a $10 local ride, which is 6-10 blocks)

Jonathan

Old 06-03-2012, 10:22 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,635,627 times
I tip well, but that's not what gets service people to remember me, they remember me being friendly, and talking TO them, and spending a moment to be a fellow human being.

Jonathan

Old 06-03-2012, 10:28 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LV2ndHome View Post
Why do service employees generally hate their customers? I generally like folks that have no obligation to give me money but voluntarily do so anyway.

Yes I understand some customers are rude/demanding and poor tippers, but a few bad apples shouldn't cause the whole barrel to be seen as bad. There are always a few overly generous/nice customers as well, assuming the employee is performing their job well. Service workers should know in advance what to expect on average over time without dwelling on individual customers.
See the movie "Waiting" or read "Waiter Rant". Good for you if you are part of the solution and not the problem. You are probably underestimating the number of ass-bites it takes to ruin a person's day, and are probably considered a gem by those who serve you. (No sarcasm, I meant that.)

I left the service industry in my twenties when I developed an eye-twitch and the urge to hit people with sharp objects.

Not everyone is cut out to work with the public. Those people do hard jobs with very little reward (in most cases) and have to put up with a lot of stupidity and being treated like trash. I go out of my way to acknowledge clerks, cabbies, waiters, fast-food staff, medical assistants, etc. because they put up with what drove me to another industry. God Bless 'em.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:53 AM

322 posts, read 565,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
I tip well, but that's not what gets service people to remember me, they remember me being friendly, and talking TO them, and spending a moment to be a fellow human being.

Jonathan
I can pretty much guarantee you that the good tipping is the major contributor by far to you being remembered in 99% of the cases. Sure service people appreciate a customer being nice, but the bottom line is that carries little weight. Stiff them and they will be steaming under the collar next time even though they may paste on a fake smile and act like they enjoy your pleasant conversation due to the requirements of their job, and they will avoid serving you in the future if that is an option. In other words, given a choice, most service workers will generally opt to serve someone that doesn't take time to chat with them, or is even rude, but tips well over serving someone that that is nice and treats them like a human being but stiffs them on a tip.

(I tip well too for good service)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas