Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 05:17 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,333,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
BTW, as an aside, do others realize that Las Vegas is considered part of the home market for the D-Backs, Padres, Angels, Dodgers, A's AND Giants for media purposes? I'm trying to throw money at MLB.tv so I can watch games online using my phone or tablet, but on any given day I can be blacked out of 40% of the games in MLB. THAT's a bigger issue to me than whether or not we have a major league team.
Precisely why I don't subscribe to MLB Extra Innings. One of the big problems is MLB's contract with Fox, which drives all this. For reasons unknown, MLB allows any team to claim any city as a home market - and every zip code in the country must be in at least one blackout market. The original concept of blackouts was to protect ticket sales in areas where games are not sold out. However, we are 250 miles from the nearest MLB stadium, yet we are in SIX teams' claimed home markets (the five California teams, plus Arizona). In that respect, we are worse off than if we lived in a market with an MLB team. It's beyond ridiculous.

If I designed a television package to deliberately kill interest in the game, I would come up with something like what MLB has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
A MLB team in LV would need a large TV audience. This is the revenue driver for the team. This is what hurts small market teams the most. MLB is not interested in having more small market teams. Good example Montreal Expos,about the same size market as LV but they were limited on TV rights by the 3 teams around it Toronto,Boston and NY. They could not hold on to their stars $$$. If they were in the American league they might have made it because of the fan base in NE and NY. The other thing they had a crappy stadium with a roof which was suppose to retract but was broke. Indoor baseball does not fly and LV would need that. IF MLB expands it will be international towards Japan or Cuba or South America. You are beating a dead horse on LV.
Interesting that you mention the Expos - since Las Vegas was one of their two potential destinations. DC won because they offered a fully-publicly-funded stadium and we didn't. Otherwise we would already have our own team.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:14 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,804,155 times
Dc won also to balance out the national league divisions. They did not want to put another team in pacific time. As far as the TV thing I am spoiled rotten being a Yankee fan I get all of their games on either Yes or MY9 so I can understand the frustration you folks have.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:56 PM

10,865 posts, read 16,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
Interesting that you mention the Expos - since Las Vegas was one of their two potential destinations. DC won because they offered a fully-publicly-funded stadium and we didn't. Otherwise we would already have our own team.
Link that, please.

I don't believe for a minute Selig would allow LV to have a franchise. He's less hard-core than Giamatti was. But still.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:10 PM

16,374 posts, read 30,162,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
A MLB team in LV would need a large TV audience. This is the revenue driver for the team. This is what hurts small market teams the most. MLB is not interested in having more small market teams. Good example Montreal Expos,about the same size market as LV but they were limited on TV rights by the 3 teams around it Toronto,Boston and NY. They could not hold on to their stars $$$. If they were in the American league they might have made it because of the fan base in NE and NY. The other thing they had a crappy stadium with a roof which was suppose to retract but was broke. Indoor baseball does not fly and LV would need that.
You are missing one other factor - the exchange rate of the Canadian dollar throughout the 80s and 90s was between $0.70-0.80.

The ticket prices in Montreal in C$ were very similar to the US$ prices (meaning 20-30% less revenue) BUT the salaries were in US$.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:17 PM

6,376 posts, read 11,840,204 times
Quote:
Precisely why I don't subscribe to MLB Extra Innings. One of the big problems is MLB's contract with Fox, which drives all this. For reasons unknown, MLB allows any team to claim any city as a home market - and every zip code in the country must be in at least one blackout market. The original concept of blackouts was to protect ticket sales in areas where games are not sold out. However, we are 250 miles from the nearest MLB stadium, yet we are in SIX teams' claimed home markets (the five California teams, plus Arizona). In that respect, we are worse off than if we lived in a market with an MLB team. It's beyond ridiculous.

If I designed a television package to deliberately kill interest in the game, I would come up with something like what MLB has.
I already explained why all the teams are allowed to claim the territory and it has nothing to do with Fox. The teams have zero incentive to drop the claims so of course none are going to do it unless forced by MLB.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I already explained why all the teams are allowed to claim the territory and it has nothing to do with Fox. The teams have zero incentive to drop the claims so of course none are going to do it unless forced by MLB.
That's why we need a REAL commissioner. You know who I'd pick? George Will. He's rich enough that he can't be bought, but poor enough that he can't think about buying a franchise. And it's clear that he loves the game.

George Will for Commissioner of Baseball.

Selig never should have been made "acting commissioner." When MLB really needed a strong commissioner like Giamatti, it got Selig.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Link that, please.

I don't believe for a minute Selig would allow LV to have a franchise. He's less hard-core than Giamatti was. But still.
Will try to locate the article and link it. The announcement that Las Vegas was under consideration came from Selig himself.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:53 PM

Just a few articles from the time:

Las Vegas Rolls the Dice on Expos' Move (washingtonpost.com)

MONTREAL EXPOS GOING TO LAS VEGAS

Montreal Expos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the latter:

During the decision-making process, Selig added Las Vegas, Nevada, to the list of potential Expos homes.

I haven't found the article with the actual Selig quote. So much taime has passed it may not be online anymore. There is one where he addresses the issue of gambling:

Field of Schemes: Selig on Expos: Mumble mumble

Old 04-26-2012, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Just a few articles from the time:

Las Vegas Rolls the Dice on Expos' Move (washingtonpost.com)

MONTREAL EXPOS GOING TO LAS VEGAS

Montreal Expos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the latter:

During the decision-making process, Selig added Las Vegas, Nevada, to the list of potential Expos homes.

I haven't found the article with the actual Selig quote. So much taime has passed it may not be online anymore. There is one where he addresses the issue of gambling:

Field of Schemes: Selig on Expos: Mumble mumble

Thanks. I appreciate that.

I have a feeling Selig added Vegas to the mix to get Washington D.C. to make with the public funding for the stadium. I don't think there was ever really a chance for us. But that's just my gut feeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: