Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:12 AM

204 posts, read 388,806 times

Advertisements

So, I'm expecting a job offer from a tech company (gaming related, naturally). The salary would be quite a step up from what I'm making now but I'm pretty leery about bringing high school aged kids to live in Las Vegas. I've read some pretty bad stuff from over-crowded meth infested schools to medical care that borders on third world in terms of quality. I've read the LV is quickly becoming the nations next Detroit. Hyperbole aside, am I crazy for contemplating this move with teenagers? How much would I expect to pay to rent a house in a neighborhood with good schools and a suburban feel? Does such a neighborhood exist at the moment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 10:25 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,946,956 times
Do a search. Your questions have been answered multiple times on this board. Your fears are overblown. Henderson/Summerlin.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:36 AM

Thanks logline, I've searched back about 5 pages so far and haven't found what I'm looking for yet. My guess is that this kind of information is not static so a thread from 3 years ago is not helpful.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:40 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times
Your fears are vastly overblown. Not crazy, people do it all the time. Many respectable kids are turned out of the high schools here.

$1200-$1800 per month in Henderson or Summerlin depending on requirements.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:51 AM

Let me be clear, I'm not worried about my kids seeing nekid ladies or slot machines. We've been to Vegas several times. What I am worried about is seriously over crowded class rooms and sub standard education. I'm worried about a high crime rate due to unemployment. I'm worried about not getting quality health care (see: http://www.vegasrex.com/2010/08/10-w...-in-las-vegas/).
So what I've read about Detroit comparisons and 51rst ranked education is all exaggeration?

Old 04-09-2012, 12:31 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
We have this discussion roughly once every other month. I'm one of the "CCSD Schools are substandard" crowd. I know I've participated in a CCSD thread in 2012. You'll find that people are a LOT more helpful if you bump an older, topical thread to the top, instead of starting a new topic basically asking everyone to spoon-feed the information you seek.

[mod cut-- rude, baiting]

Last edited by observer53; 04-10-2012 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: quoting deleted post

Old 04-09-2012, 12:43 PM

Scoop, I'm not interested in being "spoon fed". What I AM interested in is an honest discussion about living in Las Vegas, good and bad. I do know how to use the search functionality and I'm currently reading older threads as I look for new responses to this one. Maybe you're right, I should have bumped an older thread.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:50 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaq View Post
Scoop,I'm not interested in being "spoon fed". What I AM interested in is an honest discussion about living in Las Vegas, good and bad. I do know how to use the search functionality and I'm currently reading older threads as I look for new responses to this one. Maybe you're right, I should have bumped an older thread.
No, you just want us to tell you whether LV is a decent place to raise children, how much a house rents for, and where the good neighborhoods are located.

Does that cover it?

[mod cut-- rude, off topic]

Last edited by observer53; 04-10-2012 at 02:59 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 12:57 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaq View Post
Scoop, I'm not interested in being "spoon fed". What I AM interested in is an honest discussion about living in Las Vegas, good and bad. I do know how to use the search functionality and I'm currently reading older threads as I look for new responses to this one. Maybe you're right, I should have bumped an older thread.

You want honesty? It all depends on how much money you got to throw around. The more the better. If you have plenty of money, there shouldn't be any reason whatsoever that you couldn't manage to get your kids brains filled with the standard concepts that are passed around anywhere else in the country in a situation that isn't overcrowded.

If you have enough $$ you also shouldn't have to run into many unemployed folks or spend even a moment noticing the suffering of the unemployed or drug addicted. You might see some here and there, perhaps on a street corner but you can always avert your eyes.

I'm sure there's also some good doctors here if you have enough $$. Most folks do fly to better hospitals for planned major surgeries though to my knowledge.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
If you have plenty of money...

And if you don't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas