Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,283 times

Advertisements

I am an avid outdoorsman and practice leave no trace far more than most of my friends. But I also realize the reality of the world we live in and that ultimately I can only affect myself. I'm not going to let my blood pressure increase over some dude picking a flower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I don't think messing with the ecosystem or feeding wild animals is really trivial. I also think it's pretty disgusting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 09:01 AM

8,414 posts, read 4,571,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I don't think messing with the ecosystem or feeding wild animals is really trivial. I also think it's pretty disgusting!
I call it interacting with an ecosystem we are part of. Seriously, when did the entire world become a roped off museum exhibit?

Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
I call it interacting with an ecosystem we are part of. Seriously, when did the entire world become a roped off museum exhibit?
The OP stated signs are posted asking people to not interfere. It's not that we shouldn't be allowed to interact, it's just a shame that some people are inconsiderate slobs who can't have respect for nature and think it's all their to take and trash as they see fit.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:18 AM

131 posts, read 209,932 times
and may I say, just because a car has an NV license plate doesn't mean it's NOT a tourist. How many rental cars come out of McCarren with NV plates? Quite a few. And just because the car has NV plates doesn't mean he's a "local". I have NV plates on my car but I haven't been here long enough to call myself a local. Maybe these people had just moved here and were just ignorant enough to disobey the eco rules. I personally wouldn't, but some people just don't care. Saying these people are purposely ignoring and disobeying the laws makes YOU look like you have a superiority complex. Good for you for coloring within the lines but don't come here as a visitor (notice I didn't say tourist) and spout off about the people who either DO live here (ignorant or not) or are visiting just like you, because it happens where you come from, too.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:40 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
AO.....

I was up at the top of Dantes View a few years ago....a German tourist finished their cigarette and flipped the butt over the wall to rocks....

You are CORRECT it happens everywhere and by everyone.....

Old 04-17-2012, 10:36 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,081,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
probably california tourists trying to destroy nevada the same way they have california.
gtfo

Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 AM

3,728 posts, read 9,470,355 times
To the OP, this non-law abiding and "I don't care about the rules" happens all over, it ain't just a Las Vegas thing.

Jeez, I'd love to have you talk to my sister back on Long Island, she'd keep you on the phone for over an hour with the same complaining about people back there who feel THEY don't have to follow rules

Thanks for bringing up the subject though and being concerned about our fragile and beautiful landscape

Old 04-17-2012, 10:52 AM

2,557 posts, read 4,566,196 times
If people were actually concerned with messing with the ecosystem they wouldn't even be driving cars. They'd be biking up to Red Rock. We're all hypocrites. The whole lot of us. The simple fact is that people obey laws they believe in and don't obey ones they don't/ think they won't get caught breaking.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:47 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post

Thanks for bringing up the subject though and being concerned about our fragile and beautiful landscape
You're welcome! I really love Red Rock Canyon! I visit there and Valley of Fire quite often. My next trip will include Kyle Canyon and Mt. Charleston.

I can see where the BLM folks don't want people to feed the burros. 1.) The burros will quit eating the wild grass and become dependent on food brought in by humans, and 2.) The burros may put themselves in danger by trying to interact with humans, thinking they brought food.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:59 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
Probably California tourists trying to destroy Nevada the same way they have California.
Theoretically, yes, I suppose they could have been...but what are the odds that Californians will be driving an SUV with Nevada plates -- and -- have tons of carrots to throw out the window? Seems an odd thing for a California tourist to do.

As for the people who were running back and forth across the meadow and picking flowers in violation of the signs posted, I got the sense that they were locals. I heard lots of talk about "having a church picnic out here", "bringing my parents here when they come to visit", etc. These are generally not things tourists would say and the fact that, as I said, 95% of the parking lot had Nevada plates, was a very strong correlation.

What it boils down to is this:

If you are blessed enough to have something as beautiful and scenic as Red Rock Canyon nearby, why trash it? Why deliberately violate the posted signs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas