Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 11:02 PM

10,864 posts, read 17,001,725 times

Advertisements

I've searched CD and found a few posts about car batteries in desert climates. None of them looked like they were written by someone with a chemistry or automotive background.

While searching for a replacement, I found this battery on the PepBoys website: Prostart Platinum High Heat Premium Lead-acid Automotive Battery | Product Details | Pep Boys

Claims to be "high heat." Marketing crapola? Doesn't really matter because none of the LV PepBoys have one in stock, and the person on the phone didn't seem too enthused about ordering one.

So what's the verdict -- buy an expensive battery and fight the warranty fight when it dies in two years? Or buy a cheap battery and replace it every two years? Or is there a real product designed for our summer heat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 11:09 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,715,833 times
I've always used batteries made by johnson control. They last 4-5 years in my cars here. Walmart and Autozone has their own brand on them but they are pretty much identical. I've also had good luck with interstate batteries but they are a little harder to find than johnson control.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:12 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,909,284 times
We have incredible heat and cold to deal with here in Texas as well. I have a NAPA Legend Premium in my Dodge Ram-- which can be bought in any city. Consumer Reports did a comparison on truck/auto batteries; these are NOT for commercial vehicles:

batteries for Ford:
Kirkland 12866
Everstart Maxx 65

batteres for Chrysler and GM pickups:
NAPA Legend Premium 8434/78
Autocraft Titanium

batteries for Honda, Toyota, Nissan:
Everstart Maxx
Kirkland Signature 12865

Old 04-23-2012, 11:16 PM

Just to clarify, I did spend much of the day reading about car batteries. The consensus is that in the desert, it's all about Reserve Capacity, not Cold Cranking Amps.

So short of a majority opinion, I'm going to buy the battery with the highest RC from the company with the best customer service.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:54 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,642,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Just to clarify, I did spend much of the day reading about car batteries. The consensus is that in the desert, it's all about Reserve Capacity, not Cold Cranking Amps.

So short of a majority opinion, I'm going to buy the battery with the highest RC from the company with the best customer service.
Make sure you post what you end up with so the lazy folks on here, can just buy one

Jonathan

Old 04-24-2012, 12:14 AM

12,908 posts, read 28,007,241 times
Skip Walmart energizers. They are JUNK. I bought only last year. Lasted 10 months. Had a dead cell. Took it back to Walmart, they gave me a new one and told me no further warranty even though these batts have an 84 month warranty. And that 2nd battery went bad 3wks ago. Bought the next one at Costco

Old 04-24-2012, 12:22 AM

654 posts, read 1,323,493 times
If you're a member, Costco is a no-brainer.

To be fair, I have no idea where their batteries fall in terms of reserve capacity.

That said, I've used their batteries for quite a while & had few problems. (Actually, none before coming here.) I've had two fail while out here, mostly related (I think) to cars sitting outside in the scorching heat (which I'm guessing drained the battery). The good news is both were within the 36 month period where they do a full replacement & the swap couldn't have been easier. No hassle, new battery, up & running in no time. Beyond 36 months they pro-rate the value according to a schedule, but I got the sense from talking to them that if you're close to the 36 months they'd just swap it for you.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgadobb View Post
If you're a member, Costco is a no-brainer.

Costco.com does not list their Kirkland batteries anymore. I was under the impression they stopped selling them because too many people were gaming the battery warranty. "It's 35 months old, and it's BAD. Gimme another!"

Old 04-24-2012, 12:47 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,368,438 times
I've never bought anything but Sears batteries here. Usually it only costs a little to replace one since no battery lasts the full warranty period in the desert. A few times I just had a hunch it might be about time for it to go bad, went back to Sears and they gave me new ones. Once I called AAA because my car was dead in the garage. He checked the battery and said I needed a new one, but his were too expensive ...that I should go to Sears. They don't test them for free anymore like they used to, but it isn't much and the price goes toward the new battery if you need one.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I've never bought anything but Sears batteries here. Usually it only costs a little to replace one since no battery lasts the full warranty period in the desert. A few times I just had a hunch it might be about time for it to go bad, went back to Sears and they gave me new ones. Once I called AAA because my car was dead in the garage. He checked the battery and said I needed a new one, but his were too expensive ...that I should go to Sears. They don't test them for free anymore like they used to, but it isn't much and the price goes toward the new battery if you need one.
I appreciate the info. And this is what I was thinking. Sears (despite their recent troubles) will be around in one form or another for the rest of my life.

The current battery sends enough juice to the solenoid to make it click but not enough to the starter to turn over the engine. I charged it using my mother-in-law's gigantic 1970s vintage charger (looks like something off a NASCAR track). And the truck started right up. I drove it around for awhile, then parked it in my driveway. Five minutes later, it wouldn't start again. Gotta be the battery. (Yes, I know it could be the alternator. But I checked that with a voltmeter.)

It's no coincidence this happened the first warm day of the year.

Keep the opinions coming, though. Hopefully we're doing a service for future readers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: