Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 03:47 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,234,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Mmmmmmmmmm...not my experience.

I went there because I was bored and waiting for my friend's wedding that night.

Walked in, and Old Man and Rick were there (no Chum or Hoss).

They were taping. They just told us to stand off to the side so we wouldn't be on camera.

Everything was effin' faked and the 'expert' they were going to have come in 'later' fake walked in the door (he had been waiting off to the side).

It was the 'ship's bell' episode.
Watching a TV show being recorded is one of the most boring things. It's not exactly fake. It's a TV production, and if it was just spontaneous it would look like boring old home movies that nobody would watch. I hope when Rick says he's going to bring in an expert that people don't think they stop recording and wait around for hours for one to show up. The experts have to already be there, have to have already researched whatever it is, and know what they're going to say well before they start shooting, and I'm sure they have to shoot each scene more than once from different angles, which usually requires stopping and resetting props, etc., maybe moving lights, and adjusting mics.

I'm sure they would shoot those off camera monologues several at a time with different people, for different segments and different shows. Then the pieces are edited together into one episode at a time.

Was it a multi-camera shoot or did you notice? If I remember correctly, the ship’s bell episode was a while back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 03:52 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,875,358 times
I was there about a year and a half ago...everyone was there.. I bought some mugs and shot glasses and they all signed them. Unfortunately, when my mother in law visited, she used the mug and put it in the dishwasher.... Argh.... I also met Rick and Chumlee at the Cosmopolitan when I worked there

Old 04-28-2012, 08:15 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,772,637 times
Chumley was at the nightclub I work in last night.
Seems like a nice enough kinda guy.
Everybody knew who he was.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:37 AM

2,724 posts, read 4,750,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Chumley was at the nightclub I work in last night.
Seems like a nice enough kinda guy.
Everybody knew who he was.
Jet?

Old 04-28-2012, 08:41 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,772,637 times
Jet---CLOSED.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:06 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,160,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I doubt if they'd be working the counter now that they are rich and famous. But they are the management and that's what you hire people to do. I've seen them out and about though. Rick and Big Hoss were shopping for computers one day at the same time my wife and I were. Big Hoss grinned when he saw that we recognized him. I've sat at the same table a couple of times with Mark at a lunch of old media guys that I sometimes attend. And Wally has been our mechanic for years. Just regular folks, but it's a hassle to be fending off fans all the time. When my wife was on air talent we couldn't eat out without people interrupting all the time.
It is hard being recognized. Our son was a baseball player (minor leagurs at that) and could hardly go anywhere without someone wanting an autograph, wanted to talk baseball or just talk period. He loved it the first season, then it wasn't all that much fun. I remember being in a small mom and pop restaurant in Monrovia, Ca for breakfast one time and John Forsythe (spelling) came in, after watching one of his horses work out at Santa Anita. He barely sat down when one of the the waitresses yelled "look everyone, John Forsythe just came in" I felt so sorrry for him.

As for the pawn shop, our son in law does want to pop in, I think I will let he and his wife visit on their own.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:06 AM

207 posts, read 508,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unteagle View Post
Are any of the cast actually at the shop to be seen ever. Everyone I know that has gone says no, but I figured I'd ask people in the forum.
I had family members visit there in January and they saw 2 or 3 of the 4 cast members there at the time. They were pretty happy about it.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:22 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,801,179 times
I was there late Feb around 4:00PM. Rick was outside signing autographs and having pictures taken. They were filming a part of a segment. We were inside when they filmed but had to stay in the main part of the store so no one could see the actual scene. They did pick two cute girls to stand at that counter before you go out of the door. The store is small so if they let everyone pile in it would not look real. The whole thing was over in ten minutes. Glad to see how popular the show is and how popular it is for Las Vegas. Be Careful if you are outside taking pictures of the front. The street is split one way each way and you have to cross them to get a good picture. The traffic does not seem to slow down so don't step off the medium to click the camera. The store is not located in the best neighbor hood so go in the daylight hours when lots of folks are around.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It is hard being recognized. Our son was a baseball player (minor leagurs at that) and could hardly go anywhere without someone wanting an autograph, wanted to talk baseball or just talk period. He loved it the first season, then it wasn't all that much fun. I remember being in a small mom and pop restaurant in Monrovia, Ca for breakfast one time and John Forsythe (spelling) came in, after watching one of his horses work out at Santa Anita. He barely sat down when one of the the waitresses yelled "look everyone, John Forsythe just came in" I felt so sorrry for him.

As for the pawn shop, our son in law does want to pop in, I think I will let he and his wife visit on their own.
If you go they won't have to wait in line outside. Don't locals get to bypass the line?

Old 04-28-2012, 12:48 PM

Generally, if you are invited to be in the audience of a TV show then you are giving approval to use your "likeness" anyway they wish to use it. If you just happen by, you either have to be out of the shot, or you'd have to sign a modeling release in order for them to use it.

Keep that in mind next time Metro releases a tape of you robbing a 7-Eleven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas