Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 02:55 AM

104 posts, read 1,073,758 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had a home inspection and then found problems with the house that was not in the report?

When choosing a home inspector, is it better to choose someone who has one of those cameras that can see into your walls (thermal camera), or is that not a big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 09:36 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,637,545 times
ALL home inspectors do a crappy cursory inspection, mine gave me a 32 page report, most of it 'filler' and pictures of blown out / missing light bulbs.

some may do a better job (using xray's to look in walls) But you pay for that expense
I think you can just bring in a handyman, and get a better and more honest inspection.

home inspectors look for the 800 lb gorilla, they miss all the monkeys.

Jonathan

Old 04-29-2012, 11:18 AM

2,076 posts, read 4,072,689 times
+1.

They make you feel better, but largely find totally obvious stuff. "Air Conditioner didn't turn on, should be check out by qualified HVAC professional" kind of thing.

I still get them every time, but I do feel like overall it's a waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
ALL home inspectors do a crappy cursory inspection, mine gave me a 32 page report, most of it 'filler' and pictures of blown out / missing light bulbs.

some may do a better job (using xray's to look in walls) But you pay for that expense
I think you can just bring in a handyman, and get a better and more honest inspection.

Jonathan

Old 04-29-2012, 12:00 PM

179 posts, read 465,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post

Jonathan

Good post

Old 04-29-2012, 12:01 PM

367 posts, read 1,073,959 times
I had two inspectors look at my house before I bought it, because I wanted a "second opinion". First guy was in and out in about one hour, cursory and superficial. The second guy spent about 4 hrs, thorough beyond any expectations I could have had and found quite a bit more than the first guy. So, don't think ALL inspectors are the same.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:18 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,637,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_bd View Post
I had two inspectors look at my house before I bought it, because I wanted a "second opinion". First guy was in and out in about one hour, cursory and superficial. The second guy spent about 4 hrs, thorough beyond any expectations I could have had and found quite a bit more than the first guy. So, don't think ALL inspectors are the same.

AND $$ YOU $$ PAID $$ DOUBLE $$ FOR THAT $$ KNOWLEDGE
As ALWAYS ymmv

PS: Please post the name of the GOOD INSPECTOR!

Jonathan

Old 04-29-2012, 12:58 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieJeff View Post
+1.

They make you feel better, but largely find totally obvious stuff. "Air Conditioner didn't turn on, should be check out by qualified HVAC professional" kind of thing.

I still get them every time, but I do feel like overall it's a waste.
9 out of 10 are routine. The tenth is a wing ding.

There is nothing that a knowledgable buyer or buyer and contractor could not do for himself. But the good ones are thorough and disciplined.

Simple ones like verifying that the water meter does not turn once you have everything off...and note that can be a complex task if you don't know you way around home systems. We had one that took a couple of hours to find a leaking valve in a humidifier. Another case though the leak was under the driveway making a $900 repair.

Found one house with five broken trusses. Did not buy. A broken truce or improperly installed one is not unusual. Five in the same area is trouble.

So if you are very knowledgable and prepared to put in the effort you can do your own inspection. If not..

Inspectors are immune from things that could not be seen or easily deduced. They are not in the clear on anything that they miss negligently.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:59 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
This is another area where it makes sense to DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Find a good new home punch list (also called a punch-out list or a snag list) -- even if you're not looking at new construction. Use this as a checklist when you've narrowed it down to a few houses. There are a LOT of things to check. I don't go house hunting without a small tool kit, which includes a level, a square, a receptacle tester, screwdrivers, an infrared thermometer, tape measure (amazing how far off the MLS listing room dimensions can be -- and always in favor of the seller, it seems). Check EVERYTHING. Don't rely on others to look out for your best interest. You're the one who has to live there after closing. Finding minor problems can help you negotiate price. Finding major problems can save you from major headaches down the road.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:02 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
This is another area where it makes sense to DIY.
Room dimensions almost always come from the original builder. The listed area of a Las Vegas home comes from the Assessor's office and is basically an external measurement of the property. Not neccessarily accurate but quite consistent.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:26 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Room dimensions almost always come from the original builder. The listed area of a Las Vegas home comes from the Assessor's office and is basically an external measurement of the property. Not neccessarily accurate but quite consistent.
I've measured a lot of 1,925 square foot houses that were listed for sale as 2,000. A few inches off here, a foot there, and all of a sudden, the house is hitting online searches for 2,000+ sqft. Amazing how that happens.

But I'm sure this is just human error, and not just another example of unethical business practice. Yeah, right. Sure it is. Tape measures are tricky beasts, after all.

Who's worse? The liar who sent the incorrect measurements off to the assessor's office? The assessor who doesn't verify? Or the endless parade of people down the line who just accept the measurements as fact without bothering to check?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas