U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2012, 01:18 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,254,523 times

Advertisements

I am looking into a personal business opportunity right now, and while going over my situation with the agency that I'm working with I explained that while I would need to get licensed in my current state I am going to be moving to Nevada soon and would need to get licensed there. They said that was up to me but I'd be able to keep my NC license and operate in Nevada using that.

Anyone here have any experience starting a business in one state and then moving to Las Vegas?

It is a customer service telecommunications business, no employees, no office, all of it will be done from my home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 02:48 PM

4,855 posts, read 7,471,084 times
I don't know what kind of license your talking about but I would check with the state of Nevada for verification on using a NC license in Nevada.. With most license when moving to another state you have to get that's new state license which may just be a fee or in some cases a test.. To still work in the state you moved from it's just a case of getting a nonresident license..

Old 05-03-2012, 03:02 PM

579 posts, read 938,875 times
What license do you need in NC for a home business like that? I moved from SD to NV with an internet content business. I got an office that is not even an executive suite, it is a standard office. They seem to have thought I would have needed a business license, but the state said otherwise. The Secretary of State's website has all of that info on who needs a license and who does not.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:09 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,934,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVPoker1 View Post
The Secretary of State's website has all of that info on who needs a license and who does not.
What businesses are exceptions to or exempted from needing a State Business License?
A: Nevada nonprofit corporations formed under NRS Chapter 82 and Corporations Sole formed under NRS Chapter 84 are specific exceptions and are not required to obtain a State Business License.

In addition, specific statutory provisions exempt certain businesses from the requirements of the State Business License. These businesses must still initially submit the form, WITHOUT FEE stating the specific exemption. The Statutory exemptions are as follows:
• A governmental entity as defined by Chapter 76 of the Nevada Administrative Code.
• (b) A nonprofit religious, charitable, fraternal or other organization that qualifies as a tax-exempt organization pursuant to 26 U.S.C. § 501(c).
• (c) A person who operates a business from his or her home as defined by Chapter 76 of Nevada Administrative Code and whose net earnings from that business are not more than 66 2/3 percent of the average annual wage, as computed for the preceding calendar year pursuant to NRS Chapter 612 and rounded to the nearest hundred dollars. The average annual wage generally fluctuates each year. 66 2/3% of the average annual wage for 2010 is $26,241.
• A natural person whose sole business is the rental of four or fewer dwelling units to others.
• A business whose primary purpose is to create or produce motion pictures. As used in this paragraph, “motion pictures” has the meaning ascribed to it in NRS 231.020 and who is registered with the Division of Motion Pictures.
• An insurance company holding a current license or certificate of authority pursuant to NRS 680B.020 not conducting business not incidental to Title 57.

OP: When you say license I'm assuming you mean business license? Make sure to not only check the State requirements, but also the County and City. Yes, a lot of people live in unincorporated areas such as myself but say you move to Henderson...you may or may not be required to get a business license there.

You also need to familiarize yourself with the requirements for your particular legal entity.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:11 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,271,810 times
perhaps he means a simple business license?

Old 05-03-2012, 04:18 PM

419 posts, read 863,649 times
If one is required, a simple business registration license needs to be issued by the state/county your business is now located in. So, a NC business license would not be sufficient, only IF Nevada even requires one.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchu View Post
perhaps he means a simple business license?
I'm assuming he does, but still there are City/County/State requirements that need to be followed.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:51 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,254,523 times
Thank you for the replies.
Yes, just a simple business license.
I am moving to Vegas in the Fall and even though I have savings and have received some great tips on this message board about looking for work when I get to town I am still very cautious. When I found out about this opportunity I figured that it would either (best case scenario) bring me riches and be a full time career working for myself (okay, best case...not likely at all scenario) or at the very least, if I set it up in my current state now to get the ball rolling, will be able to earn some money until I find work in Vegas AND be able to supplement my income since it sounds like I won't be able to find full time work right away. So my assumption was get my business license here and work at getting started over the next 5 months, and then move to LV and get licensed there. When I brought that up to my advisor (to see if there would be an issue with me being unavailable to my client for a week or two) they said that I could just operate using the North Carolina license, and that is where my confusion started.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:58 PM

579 posts, read 938,875 times
If it is a home business I would not worry at all about it. Like I said, I operate out of a traditional office park without a business license because I fall under a writer, which does not require a business license. The office park was surprised by that, but let me move in without it since I proved to them it was not required.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:38 PM

Where specifically does it state that writers are exempt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas