Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 12:48 AM

213 posts, read 420,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by morcellement View Post
Lastly, in terms of financial aid, not at all trying to dissuade you from applying for it, but be prepared for hell. The finaid office is VERY badly organized.

Good luck.

That is what I keep hearing, their Financial Aid office can be a pain in the ass... Any tips to get though that process, I plan on applying for the Spring term so that way I can iron out the kinks if I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 01:23 AM

85 posts, read 318,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauri View Post
That is what I keep hearing, their Financial Aid office can be a pain in the ass... Any tips to get though that process, I plan on applying for the Spring term so that way I can iron out the kinks if I can.
Make sure you're on top of everything. Constantly check your e-mail, visit them if you must (or call, but that's far from an ideal option as you can be on hold for almost 30 minutes at times), do everything you can to make sure you have all the forms you need and/or paid everything off before you risk being forced out of your classes.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:41 PM

213 posts, read 420,625 times
CSN - Financial Aid

maybe this could change things... who knows.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:44 AM

213 posts, read 520,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morcellement View Post
Make sure you're on top of everything. Constantly check your e-mail, visit them if you must (or call, but that's far from an ideal option as you can be on hold for almost 30 minutes at times), do everything you can to make sure you have all the forms you need and/or paid everything off before you risk being forced out of your classes.
I am obtaining my degree through CSN via distance education, and I would have to agree, their Financial Aid Department is a joke! Always keep the email and phone number of the Student Financial Services (SFS) director handy, as you will get a quicker and more accurate response from him than dealing with anyone else in the department.

I would also suggest, before you select your classes, check the professors rating on ratemyprofessor.com. I had one professor that was absolutely terrible, and had I checked that site, I would have seen I am not the only one that had issues with him. Needless to say, I now check it prior to registering.

I can't tell you anything about the area, as I live 8 hours away, but I can say, minus dealing with SFS, my online experience of CSN has been decent.

Last edited by observer53; 08-20-2012 at 09:01 AM..

Old 08-20-2012, 09:27 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,646,733 times
I did my some of my undergraduate courses there some 20 odd years ago and I had a very good experience.

I recently audited a class and was taken aback by how much things had changed. The student population had changed dramatically. Most of the young ones were schlepping around as if they were in 13th grade. I know they have lowered the standards (or maybe they student body population isn't such a good pool) as I know a couple of people who teach there who are pretty put out with how little the students are prepared and their attitudes about their education, in general.

I feel you could get a good education there. The professors/instructors seem to connect well with the students. The professors at UNLV are far worse, in my opinion.

I would stay away from the Applied Technologies department. There was recently some changes to the program that were very poor decisions and now Larry, Mo, and Shemp are running it. It is very bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: