Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 09:37 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times

Advertisements

Most of July and a week of August.

It's a test of our ability to handle the weather, the desert, and all the CDers we run into.

I'm not sure which one of those makes me the most nervous.

We have a few things planned, and are still trying to figure out all the places to visit. We've been to LV tons of times on vacation and went to Valley of Fire (we will go again this trip), Red Rock, Grand Canyon, did the dam tour, etc so we are looking for new things to do.

Smith Center for a show, we hope.

Visit the libraries, which is one of our top considerations because of how much we read. Poor library=no move to that area.

Mt. Charleston. I assume it won't be 30 degrees and sleet like the last time we tried to go...

Friends in St. George will get a visit.

Not going to the coast like we thought we would. Also skipping a trip to Prescott. We've decided those are for a separate trip.

Finding those local groceries I've read about in this forum, and looking over the shopping in general. Lowes, Kohls, Best Buy, Target, all the usual. I doubt that will be a problem, however.

A Tuesday night at McMullans for trivia, food, and beer is a must. Maybe twice.

I'm thinking real hard about doing this: Zipline but it seems rather expensive and I'm not sure I like the seat. I prefer a harness so I can move around more. Maybe the one at Fremont Street.

Has the coffee get-together died or is it still going to happen sometime?

Any ideas for things to do that I've read about and forgotten in this forum would be appreciated. I've done searches, etc but feel I'm missing things I read previously. I guess I should have marked them or copied them when I first saw them. My bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 09:41 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
I did the Fremont zipline on this last trip and it was fun! Not scary at all.

Enjoy your trip. I'd love to visit in July. I am not worried AT ALL about being able to handle the weather, though.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:47 AM

611 posts, read 951,288 times
Did you do it during the day or night? We did it at night and I thought that was so much fun...You are right that it isn't scary and you feel very safe. I'm scared of heights and I found this zipline wasn't too high over the people on Fremont and the receivers at the end actually do catch you pretty fast and get that step-down ladder available quickly too. I'll surely do it again.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:52 AM

579 posts, read 997,651 times
Quote:
Visit the libraries, which is one of our top considerations because of how much we read. Poor library=no move to that area.
We are in Summerlin and the three closest libraries far exceeded our expectations.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:32 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
I did the zipline at night. I also rode the xscream on top of the stratosphere tower

Old 05-05-2012, 11:56 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,794 times
We have some pretty good museums as well, the atomic testing museum it's affiliated with the Smithsonian Institution it's very informative and interesting, the old mormon fort museum, the new downtown mob museum,natural history museum . Some other places that might interest you are the springs preserves, animal sactuary.

Have fun

Old 05-05-2012, 12:19 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVPoker1 View Post
We are in Summerlin and the three closest libraries far exceeded our expectations.
That's what I like to hear!

And as I expected I'm already getting some great ideas.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:14 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Most of July and a week of August.

It's a test of our ability to handle the weather, the desert, and all the CDers we run into.

I'm not sure which one of those makes me the most nervous.

We have a few things planned, and are still trying to figure out all the places to visit. We've been to LV tons of times on vacation and went to Valley of Fire (we will go again this trip), Red Rock, Grand Canyon, did the dam tour, etc so we are looking for new things to do.

Smith Center for a show, we hope.

Mt. Charleston. I assume it won't be 30 degrees and sleet like the last time we tried to go...

Friends in St. George will get a visit.

Not going to the coast like we thought we would. Also skipping a trip to Prescott. We've decided those are for a separate trip.

Finding those local groceries I've read about in this forum, and looking over the shopping in general. Lowe's, Kohl's, Best Buy, Target, all the usual. I doubt that will be a problem, however.

A Tuesday night at McMillan's for trivia, food, and beer is a must. Maybe twice.

I'm thinking real hard about doing this: Zipline but it seems rather expensive and I'm not sure I like the seat. I prefer a harness so I can move around more. Maybe the one at Fremont Street.

Has the coffee get-together died or is it still going to happen sometime?

Any ideas for things to do that I've read about and forgotten in this forum would be appreciated. I've done searches, etc but feel I'm missing things I read previously. I guess I should have marked them or copied them when I first saw them. My bad.
You'll probably love the weather, but it is pretty hard to hike at Valley of Fire in July/Aug, and the high heat might not be enjoyable on the Bootleg Canyon zip-line unless you go to either very early in the AM ...like sunup. Look into ranger led moonlight hikes at Red Rock Canyon. Red Rock is higher, so it's cooler (a little bit) and it all depends on how high you intend to go, etc.

Zion is not that cool in summer in the valley, but it sure beats our high temps, so you should go there for sure. Again, in the west it all depends on the elevation. Zion Cyn has plenty of shade, and it's not too hot or too cold for year round hiking. If there was nothing else around here but Zion Canyon Nat'l Park, that would be enough incentive to live here.

Mt Charleston gets kind of warm for hiking in the summer, highs in the 80s where the tourists go, but again, no humidity. If you are in great shape and are up to a sun-up/sun-down hike, take either of three trails to Charleston Peak and back. It's 18 miles R/T. Or you can do an overnight backpack and sleep under the stars on top, which makes it easier. There is a year round glacier on top, so if you make it at least to the Meadow at 10,000 ft., it's quite a bit cooler. Most of the snow will be melted off the trails, but you might see a patch here and there. Most people never make it past 7,000 or 8,000 feet, and incorrectly refer to the Lodge as being on Mt. Charleston. Mt. Charleston is the big ice cream cone peak which is almost 12,000 feet on top. Griffith Peak, above the Lodge, is just a few feet lower than Charleston Peak, but you don't hear the whole range referred to as Mt. Griffith.

Given that you'll be here for a while, I'd also recommend a trip to Mammoth Lakes, Calif. Once you see it you'll probably want to live there. It's 5 or 6 hours drive, but the drive is easy, and interesting, although it crosses some pretty long stretches of hot, hot desert. The town is in the Sierra Nevada, surrounded by numerous mountain lakes, and one of the better ski resorts in the west. We skied there on Memorial Day one year, and went back for their funky 4th of July pancake breakfast and parade, and they were still skiing. The locals refer to themselves as snow farmers. You'd want to drive up the road to main ski lift area and take the shuttle down to the Devil's Postpile Nat'l Money-mint. It's a must see, and most Las Vegans have never even heard of it. Devils Postpile National Monument - Devils Postpile National Monument

I'd definitely recommend a trip to Cedar City, Utah, for the Shakespeare Festival. It's one of the best in the country, and Cedar City is a good place to cool off, and the scenery around there is spectacular. I see they're doing Tequila Mockingbird this year. Ok, it's To Kill A... I know.Announcing the Utah Shakespeare Festival's 2012 Season

Old 05-05-2012, 08:38 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
And don't forget to Mt. Themissus while visiting LV.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:05 AM

930 posts, read 1,818,280 times
if your going to be driving on our streets with an out of state vehicle for more than 30 days , you will need a nevada registration. stupid law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: