Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:25 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdreloc View Post
One thing I noticed driving in Las Vegas vs California is that Las Vegas has way fewer left turn arrows at intersections. It's really annoying trying to make a left turn against oncoming traffic.
I think you mean that the other way around. Las Vegas has them at nearly every intersection, but LA has almost none. If LA would put in left turn lanes and lights they would cure about 25% of their traffic problems, and cut way down on accidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I'm still far more on guard driving here than anywhere in Massachusetts. Just yesterday I nearly got merged into on the highway again. Making that the fourth time in two months. A lady tried to fly through all 3 lanes at once and didn't even return to her lane as I was blasting my horn and flying off to the side of the road. Getting cut off is one thing but people constantly not knowing or understanding what a blind spot is, is highly concerning. I still continue to see masses of cars with no license plates. I guess forget getting new plates when you move here...just take the old ones off and drive without a care.
Come on, I've driven in Boston and it's a nightmare. At least we have wide streets, laid out in an easy grid, and plenty of parking which is mostly free. The truth is that drivers everywhere are getting worse all the time, and drivers here come from all the worst areas of the planet.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
LV is one of the easiest cities I've driven. I co-sign your list. And to it I would add I would add Providence and Houston. And I think a very special hell is created by Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and the hideous turnpike that joins them.

But, seriously, anyone who complains about driving anywhere in the US has never traveled abroad. I would say the most insane traffic I've ever seen is Athens with Tokyo and Rome coming in second and third. Midtown Manhattan at 5 p.m. on Labor Day weekend is a simple day in the life of Athens. And there, if someone doesn't think you're going fast enough, they'll pass you on the right by driving up onto the sidewalk. They just expect the people to scatter.
I think I'd drive just about anything with wheels almost anywhere, but I don't think I'd dare drive in Rome, especially on one of those scooters.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:55 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,575,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
Connecticut, particularly I-84 between Waterbury and Hartford, and I-95 from New Haven to the CT/NY State line

Orlando, FL is similar with all the tourists but its not as hectic

I found driving in Los Angeles to be less of a frustration than Vegas, except when it comes to traffic

Rush hour out here is pretty rough though. I-15 from Flamingo to the 95 is downright awful, on the days where I go into work at 6 PM, it takes me sometimes 55 minutes to drive from the Las Vegas Hilton area, to Summerlin Parkway and Town Center Drive

95 From Decatur to Lake Mead can be slow going too

Old 09-26-2010, 07:27 AM

395 posts, read 1,081,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Rush hour out here is pretty rough though. I-15 from Flamingo to the 95 is downright awful, on the days where I go into work at 6 PM, it takes me sometimes 55 minutes to drive from the Las Vegas Hilton area, to Summerlin Parkway and Town Center Drive

If that is consistently the time it takes to drive that route why not take DI over I-15 to VV or Decatur and then head up to 95?

I can't agree with the last part either. Ever since they widened 95 to like 20 lanes (well actually only like 12-14) it has been a brease. Now we don't travel it much, but when we do we are headed up to Mt Charleston for a weekend of camping on Fridays at like 5-6 PM.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
Connecticut, particularly I-84 between Waterbury and Hartford, and I-95 from New Haven to the CT/NY State line

Orlando, FL is similar with all the tourists but its not as hectic

I found driving in Los Angeles to be less of a frustration than Vegas, except when it comes to traffic SAY WHAT???

Davie, during morning or evening rush hour it is best to stay off the freeways and learn the surface street shortcuts.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:39 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
I'm still far more on guard driving here than anywhere in Massachusetts. Just yesterday I nearly got merged into on the highway again.
That's a big one here. Some people seem to think they own the lane they are in. Unfortunately they did not get the news flash that the right hand lane is where people merge onto the freeway.

Unless I need to get off soon, I move to the next lane so people can merge on easier.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:43 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,978 times
Paris is crazy too. The funniest thing I saw there was all the taped on side mirrors. You never want to put your hand out the window on the freeway because motorcycles and mopeds zip between the two lanes as if it was a lane! Also, when people parallel park they will hit the cars in front and behind to get into the spot.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:48 AM

94 posts, read 185,938 times
Default Offensive driving

Try Boston.

Defensive driving doesn't work.
You need to be on the attack in order to get anywhere.

Plus the roads are horribly designed.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:13 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,641 times
Best drivers = Los Angeles.
Worst drivers = Tie between Kentucky & Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: